What's new

You're Too Loud

As always, yeah, binary folks will be binary.

It should be noted that everyone thinks stuff that doesn't bother them is less important than Other Issues.

They often change their minds when Stuff That Bothers Them starts happening and doesn't show any signs of going away.

Like barking dogs and crying children. The owners/parents seem to think nobody minds at all, so they do nothing to stop it. SMH

Like barking dogs and crying children. The owners/parents seem to think nobody minds at all, so they do nothing to stop it. SMH
I have learned some interesting things.

Some through marriage.

Some through the horse spitality biz.

Some through the motorcycle activism.

Etc.

The biggie is that everyone is different and you don't know until you know.

Running rentals has been interesting...

Our tenant in our third floor apartment with bionic fuckin' hearing, complains about the dehumidifier in the basement at the opposite end of the building.

Our old tenant from the second floor who was unusually, well, maternal I guess and thought the sounds of crying babies, pitter patter of youngsters rocketing back and forth the apartment above, was cute.

One this week complained about the noise of the rain hitting the flue pipe on the tankless boiler. Oh that's a noise that Miss Maternal thought was soothing, LOL.

Amazingly nobody has complained about the construction 50m away.

The noise floor from the 8-lane road 200m away is not bad as long as the windows are closed. But I still hear it clearly when the bug-fuckers open it up there.

My wife says she finds the sound of my snoring calming.

I wonder if she'll still say that in twenty more years...

Hers keeps me awake for an hour.

The list goes on and on.

Ahh, I can see how the water stuff can do some damage. Ugh. Is there not protection for that sort of shit though?? Seriously? I mean the scalers and the wakeboarding. I've known folks in big construction to use both plugs and muffs. Likewise some of the gunz crowd. And are plugs useless in the case of falls on water? Seriously I'm asking - I have no clue.

Crazy shit does happen. And irresponsible behavior in general leads to much of it...

With the likes of some of you, clearly not.

No loss.

Oh, there's some irony in that story by the way...

What brought Mark and I together was a political battle against an ill-conceived law being introduced in NYC... to address the problem of loud bikes!

:rolleyes

At the Orlando cable park I wore a cool helmet with water proof padding. But out of a large group of riders, I was the only one to break both ear drums. One twice And it was before helmets were available. Ear protection is great until the office expects the workers to hear the intercomm. So communication becomes an issue. I suggested a flashing light when the intercomm was on. But not all my ideas went through.

Camping has gone to absolute SHIT these past couple years. My wife wants to go, but its awful. People watching TV, swearing, dogs barking, everyone stacked on top of each other. We'd be in a tent surrounded by tri-axle fifth wheelers with generators going.

The DR650 has allowed me to explore areas to setup a tent away from it all. I'll explore backroads and woods that I'll eventually return with the family. I have about a dozen spots that I can take them that I know we won't be bothered.
There's a campground in Meadows of Dan, VA that's bike only. The entrance is small enough you can't get a car in. It's absolutely wonderful. No big glamping rigs, just a lot full of tents with a small stream babbling by. Check it out if you're ever in SW VA. Right off the parkway and not too far from groceries and gas.

There's a campground in Meadows of Dan, VA that's bike only. The entrance is small enough you can't get a car in. It's absolutely wonderful. No big glamping rigs, just a lot full of tents with a small stream babbling by. Check it out if you're ever in SW VA. Right off the parkway and not too far from groceries and gas.
I've/We've been spoiled because of where we live. 20+ acres surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of acres of forest, brooks, and streams. We even have a waterfall and swimming hole next to the house. We go camping, and its all people. Our place pretty much ruined camping for us. :lol2

At the Orlando cable park I wore a cool helmet with water proof padding. But out of a large group of riders, I was the only one to break both ear drums. One twice And it was before helmets were available. Ear protection is great until the office expects the workers to hear the intercomm. So communication becomes an issue. I suggested a flashing light when the intercomm was on. But not all my ideas went through.
Ouch.

One could always be that guy and report the lack of a visual indication as a violation of accessibility requirements. :deal

Sounds cool, no pun intended.

Good news about only being able to squeeze bikes in is no people from certain places that may be south of the American border bringing their [old days: box radios | now: full stereo systems, generators, etc.]. In/around the NYC metro, it was always a challenge to find that ever more elusive Place They Haven't Yet Found, so as to actually commune a little bit with nature or enjoy the sound of the surf, sans salsa.

Ouch.

One could always be that guy and report the lack of a visual indication as a violation of accessibility requirements. :deal

Sounds cool, no pun intended.

Good news about only being able to squeeze bikes in is no people from certain places that may be south of the American border bringing their [old days: box radios | now: full stereo systems, generators, etc.]. In/around the NYC metro, it was always a challenge to find that ever more elusive Place They Haven't Yet Found, so as to actually commune a little bit with nature or enjoy the sound of the surf, sans salsa.

The water days were the best days of my life. But much like this thread had some controversy. I spoke my mind many times and gave up my Air Danno title for searching for the soul ride of wakeskating. Grip tape and a pair of vans soon had me blasting big air. Ha..now with road rash from the grip tape. But I held firm on my beliefs. Decades later my friends backed me on my stance. This eventually was a downfall of the sport. We had internal wars, fisherman wars and lake residents angered. The big wakes and loud music didnt help. I just wanted to return to the joy of sunrise glass water and just riders and static weight(concrete or lead) in the boat. And hopefully a world class driver..

So this thread brought up some old memories to some insightful events. I always want a long term timeline for my hobbies/passions. Both the freedom to do and an obligation for good PR. In a way it is refreshing to read the posts. Even if we dont always agree. Maybe we all can get some insight to extend the moto timeline.

Sounds like a blast, if I didn't freak out the moment water got above my chest, LOL.

It's a pity that some of the things that some of us find so enjoyable, are at the cost of others' comfort.
I think back to the few neighbors I had as a 14 and 15 year old when my father first got me started riding. Not that all my bikes were loud, most were stock then but I rode almost constantly, whenever I could day and night, and would ride up and down my very rural street (4 or 5 houses total in 1/3 mile) doing wheelies and riding in the woods right next to the road for hours at a time.

No one ever called the cops, but then half of them had some kind of hobby or way of life that was generally annoying at times too, well-drilling attempts with loud pumps and other machinery, riding around the neighborhood on junk Model As with the body pulled off and just the seat and steering column on the frame and driveline with no exhaust (yes, right out of the 4 cylinder manifold, popping and backfiring away) or old (but more current) cars from the '50s that they thought sounded cool with loud exhaust despite the engine being completely stock. So it was a trade-off, one that everyone - even the worst of the rednecks who lived further down the road where it was only a dirt path, and lived in 8' wide mobile homes like real trailer trash - accepted without complaint. It was a calmer time.

Sounds like a blast, if I didn't freak out the moment water got above my chest, LOL.

It's a pity that some of the things that some of us find so enjoyable, are at the cost of others' comfort.
Last 2 summers I have paddleboarded. It is very relaxing and challenging. And seems to be well accepted by all. I recommend everyone to try it once. You can sit, kneel or stand. The kit can be packed on the back of a bike for a two for one adventure day.

I've/We've been spoiled because of where we live. 20+ acres surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of acres of forest, brooks, and streams. We even have a waterfall and swimming hole next to the house. We go camping, and its all people. Our place pretty much ruined camping for us. :lol2
I hear ya, man. Similar situation here. I go to town for work everyday, otherwise it's hard to get me away from home 🙄

Top Bottom Back Refresh