What's new

You're Too Loud

Some friends of mine have owned a house for decades that is at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac. Their yard is heavily wooded and very private. It was an awesome spot until about 5 years ago when the state put in a highway bypass about 1/2 mile away. The berms all have rumble strips very close to the road surface so the driver gets a warning the moment they drift out of their lane. The noise at my friend's house is incredible. It's a constant loud hum of tires on rumble strips and completely ruins the peace and solitude of their yard. If the state would have placed the rumble strips even 6" more into the berm I'm guessing the noise would be reduced a bunch.
We were leaving in a place with quick access to the highway when we moved back to Houston last year. I'd day the highway may have been about 1/4 mile. Really nice area with a park nearby. It didn't matter the time of day, you could hear the noise coming from the highway. We moved inside a neighborhood a few months later and the difference is quite noticeable. The peace and quiet really has no price when it comes to where you live.

Interesting. Except for the few jacked up trucks, I pretty much never hear tire noise from a car.
The fact is you or most of us dont notice the sound of a normal cars tyres, the big old Mud terain track edge type of army coming to town grumble is more defined. But if you start to take note of cars passing individualy especially if your in a quiet place, you will realise just how noisy car tyres are.
The Busy highway at a distance background" Whoosh"or "Hiss" if you like is clearly audible when the world gets moving first thing in the morning.
I live in a rural area, and i hear my neghbours Car tyrres in the quiet of a morning long before i hear the 2litre audi TDI. if its windy or brease from certain directions you are not forced to notice it , but in a still quiet morning or at dusk say, its noticeable.
Noise is like light polution you live in it constantly, its just background, but when you are away from it the silence is as they say deafening.
I remember during covid 19 first lockdown, even out here it was very quiet, loudest things were the crows calling, pigeons etc, at dust after the blackbirds had stopped singing it was eerily quiet.

The fact is you or most of us dont notice the sound of a normal cars tyres, the big old Mud terain track edge type of army coming to town grumble is more defined. But if you start to take note of cars passing individualy especially if your in a quiet place, you will realise just how noisy car tyres are.
The Busy highway at a distance background" Whoosh"or "Hiss" if you like is clearly audible when the world gets moving first thing in the morning.
I live in a rural area, and i hear my neghbours Car tyrres in the quiet of a morning long before i hear the 2litre audi TDI. if its windy or brease from certain directions you are not forced to notice it , but in a still quiet morning or at dusk say, its noticeable.
Noise is like light polution you live in it constantly, its just background, but when you are away from it the silence is as they say deafening.
I remember during covid 19 first lockdown, even out here it was very quiet, loudest things were the crows calling, pigeons etc, at dust after the blackbirds had stopped singing it was eerily quiet.
Maybe I am desensitized. This is my house, my office on the second floor, busy 4 lane road.
tHcyTx.jpg

Good, driving a vehicle is not a right, it is a privilege. Nobody has the right to disrupt other people’s peace just for the sake of making noise. This goes for exhausts and stereos.
241764030_10226866560679929_6250875114673271611_n.jpg

HUH? WHAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU, YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP

:D

If they have a recording showing your guilt (red light camera, exhaust sound recording, etc) you are proven guilty.
No. The operator of the vehicle may be guilty, but their identity has to be proven. Automated systems are getting better at that, but it's a far cry from a certainty.

With regard to using sound to identify the offending vehicle, the accuracy of the equipment needs to be proven. Police radar is regularly challenged in court due to the real possibility of misidentifying a speeder. An automated sound based system will be scrutinized similarly.
I prefer automated law enforcement. Always same enforcement, no matter if a law-enforcement-officer is hung over or not, or just an arsehole, no matter if the occupant of the vehicle is a person of color or not.
That sounds nice, but automated law enforcement can only be applied to a short list of traffic infractions. Past that, no AI is going to replace human law enforcement any time soon.

Good luck with all those racist, drunk, arsehole cops, though.

In the U.S., the owner of a vehicle in such a situation is not obliged to disclose anything. The burden of proof is on the government, not the citizen. That's a core tenet of the legal system here, and it isn't so easily brushed aside. As I said, this isn't nearly as simple you you make it out to be, at least not in America.

How do they get around that and issue parking tickets that potentially could result in the vehicle being impounded?

A little reminiscence of my own. As a kid I'd go camping. I distinctively remember the sound of a nearby waterfall being loud enough to delay sleep. Few years ago I went camping there again. Now I could hear the waterfall at all. It's still there, I checked, and the kids hear it fine, but that part of my hearing is lost. Now I do hear the trucks on the road on the other side of the lake, that I never heard as a kid. At least I cannot remember hearing them.
I always had good hearing, and it was well trained being an avid hunter, but as yourself i have hearing damage and certain pitches frequencies i simply dont hear anymore with the ear damage i have.
The oposite end of the time line to my mentioning hearing tyre noise now but not then.
tyre noise is a thing and i think its a part of big wide low profile radial type tyres. i know if you kill an engine and coast you hear the big tyres good if normal road pattern or not, i have not done this on my old ford e93a prefect on 500x 17s crossplys but i dare bet i hear trans noise above the tyre hiss on that old car.

Things change and machines make noises.

I remember having to stop talking any time a plane flew over, now you barely notice them. I don't know what they changed, but it's nice. And I don't live anywhere near an airport.

Loud exhausts make up maybe 5% of the annoying things I hear out on the road. Mud tires slapping the road are pretty common, but ghetto blaster stereos that shake your own car while sitting at a light you're forced to listen to their " fuck da police, bitches and hoes" lyrics is by far the worst offender. But nobody gives a damn about those. Cops will sit right beside them in traffic without a care. "Noisy" farm trucks and tractors run around all the time. Whatever. But I hate going to the city. Stereos, horns and sirens going nonstop.

Where I live, a slightly loud exhaust on a bike means I see little white tails bounding away from the road, whereas before I would round a corner and see frozen deer in the road. Or they'd step right out in front of me. A little noise is good.

I'd rather they address the seizure inducing lazer array they are mounting on cop cars these days. They're so excessive that you can't see to drive when they are on. A noisy thing isn't a safety risk like something that blinds you. Speaking of things that blind you, people with extra lights mounted for their own "awareness and safety" because who cares if that other guy sees spots for the next few miles, as long as they see ME.

It's illegal to ride with ear plugs, but buying a luxury car with piles of sound deadening is cool. Common sense and the law doesn't always go hand in hand. Adding automation won't help a thing. It won't "free up officers" for other tasks. Writing tickets is easy money. We all know which areas near us are riddled with crime. You think the cops are too busy curing the pandemic of loud pipes to go find crime? No, they know where the problem areas are, but that's hard work. It's easier to sit in the bushes outside the suburbs and write 5 over tickets while hard working folks are rushing to get to work on time. Or a parking light is out on their service truck. Those are the folks who are obviously making society a dangerous place to live.

Last edited:
But nobody gives a damn about those. Cops will sit right beside them on traffic without a care.
Few years back, buddy of mine invites me to tag along for a ride with him and a few friends. Didn't have a Harley then, but I had the GSXF street bike so I took that instead of the DR. I get to his place, there's about six of us there. All Harleys except me. Three local cops. All straight pipes, loud as all hell. You could see the vapors coming out of the pipes. Not a care in the world. :D

And we are told electric vehicles are a solution for global warming. Electric vehicles reduced noise levels. I'm fine with that.

Also go after 18-wheeler open exhaust and jake-brakes.

Oh, and the nuisance barking dogs. Their owners don't get a pass.

People have a right to enjoy their property. Plenty of case law supporting this. Airports and industrial-use property complaints made these cases.

Yes, I've had aftermarket exhaust on bikes and pick-ups in the past. Now, and given the cost, it's not money well spent for me.

Also go after 18-wheeler open exhaust and jake-brakes.
I'll give you the straight piped road tractors, but you don't want to go after "Jake" brakes. Those are safety items.

With the huge loads and fast speeds that road tractors are seeing these days, exhaust brakes are a great thing. Exhaust brakes themselves aren't loud, it's the straight pipes you're hearing.

This is a good example of why you can't just fling laws in to place. People's perception of issues aren't always accurate.

Reactions: OIC
Where I live, a slightly loud exhaust on a bike means I see little white tails bounding away from the road, whereas before I would round a corner and see frozen deer in the road. Or they'd step right out in front of me. A little noise is good.

THIS is why all the loud pipe haters can FRO where I come from.
For some of us there IS a legit safety issue here.

All this bullshit talk about bikes going all electric. Ok urbanites.
Anywhere outside of a city, that's going to end up stacking dead riders like firewood.

I get it, at 10mph sneaking around is all cool and stuff.

Good luck with a silent bike at traffic speeds outside the city.

Would PAY legit money to see the stats of national motorcycle deer/animal strike factored against stock / quiet exhaust.

I've hit 26 fuking deer in my life. Several vehicles were 3 time losers.
The ONE damn thing all the vehicles that I haven't hit something with had in common?
Yeah, they were loud. Either tires or exhaust. FYI, whistles do fuk all. Did my own study ...

I'll probably end up literally taking it "up the tailpipe" from REAMus in order to fix this issue on the new Wing. Still rather pay 4k than tangle with a deer at road speed.

I get it, none of us probably need FU loud. But you can keep your quiet urban deathtraps.

Top Bottom Back Refresh