What's new

You're Too Loud

rear wheel must have 3 rimlocks in it LOL

oh, and I'd kill myself on that bike

You didn't strike me as a street fighter guy. My respect for you just grew 😁
Not to put too fine a point on it, I am Trials born and bred, Trials has everything going for bike control, after you got trials sorted anything else you do in motorcycling falls into place much easier.
A wheelie is a wheelie its basic stuff just build up to higher speeds to do that well and safeley you need to have the basics in place, i am firmly of the view trials is the best way of mastering the basics.
My conclusion is somewhat born out in that many great motorcycle legends have a background heavily in trials . To name two straight off Geoff Duke and Graham Jarvis. .

Reactions: CTG
this was a false rumour that surfaced 1 year or so ago.

But, I agree I hate loud bikes/exhausts/music/noise/anything.

The noise may not be immediately killing motorcycles as a sport, hobby or useful mode of transportation BUT it's keeping motorcycles under constant attack from people who are sick and fucking tired of the racket. It has resulted in tracks being closed down and new ones being refused permits, off-road facilities being closed or limited, HOAs and other places refusing ALL motorcycles on their property or within their towns and on occasion, folks just getting shot, stabbed or beaten.

As for the questions around the health threat of noise, there are definite and well-researched correlations between noise and stress, between stress hormones (i.e. cortisol) and hypertension and cardiovascular problems, and cardiovascular effects to shortened lifespans.

Ergo, the link from loud motorcycles to shortened lifespans, however indirect, still is clear.

Truck tire noise is annoying. The crazy offroad tires I can hear almost a mile away. There are no motorcycles here. But most atvs have gutted cans. The wifes sporty with open drag pipes is way quiter than the atvs and trucks. The truck tires would be ok if they weren't doing double the speed limit. Same for semi trailers banging through town. Or landscape trailers ramp gate banging. All this makes motorcycles seem very quiet. This also includes the crazy school bus driver spooling the turbo and hitting the waste gate. Also doing double the speed limit. I miss loud bikes and the city. It was way more relaxing than small town life.

But my favorite is hunters banging ice bags on their tailgates at 5am. The smart ones use the ground. The others leave a loud truck idle for an hour. Damn loud diesel idling for an hr makes any motorcycle seem non existent.

Last edited:
Yeah, lots of things make unnecessary noise, not sure why motorcycles in general get some people up on a high horse. I much enjoy quiet things, so I'm not defending loud pipes.

Kinda how two stroke guys like to shit on four stroke guys for their bikes being too loud and getting trails shut down. Whatever. That high pitched , sustained scream of a two stroke is way more noise than a 4t making low burping noises. I grew up on two strokes but now I avoid them because the sound gives me a headache. Nobody's right or wrong, it just personal preference.

People have biases and they're rarely fair, because that's how people and biases work. I don't get a kick out of loud bikes, but they're probably less than 10% of the loud shit I have to deal with regularly. Certainly not the epidemic the loud pipe haters culture club makes it out to be.

"Let me tell you how mad this noise makes me so you can understand how much more of an evolved, sophisticated human I am". Yeah, there's more important shit to worry about.

Yeah, lots of things make unnecessary noise, not sure why motorcycles in general get some people up on a high horse. I much enjoy quiet things, so I'm not defending loud pipes.

Kinda how two stroke guys like to shit on four stroke guys for their bikes being too loud and getting trails shut down. Whatever. That high pitched , sustained scream of a two stroke is way more noise than a 4t making low burping noises. I grew up on two strokes but now I avoid them because the sound gives me a headache. Nobody's right or wrong, it just personal preference.

People have biases and they're rarely fair, because that's how people and biases work. I don't get a kick out of loud bikes, but they're probably less than 10% of the loud shit I have to deal with regularly. Certainly not the epidemic the loud pipe haters culture club makes it out to be.

"Let me tell you how mad this noise makes me so you can understand how much more of an evolved, sophisticated human I am". Yeah, there's more important shit to worry about.
There is a lot of more important stuff to worry about. That does not mean that we should be doing nothing about this. We can multitask. Of course, "evolved, sophisticated human" would not force unnecessary noise upon others.

bxcbxcbx.gif

:D

For me it is the constant drone of landscaping equipment. The blowers, edgers, mowers and saws of every kind are an every day occurrence in the town I live in. Makes my bike pretty quiet in comparison. This HOA hell or heaven, depending on your view, needs constant maintenance as it is over-planted to compensate for the destruction of the Everglades when they built this town...
Then there is the trend to drive like assholes with a loud exhaust through town doing 60mph... Of course the cops can't be bothered as we have a new Dunkin' in town running specials.....🤬

I don't mind loud exhausts as long as they're not brash. A properly tuned HD with Rineharts would be my favorite. I get to hear that en masse almost every weekend. What I don't like are straight pipes on bikes/cars/trucks and riders/drivers thinking they're on a racetrack.

Only a few neighbors and they aren't big on manicured lawns, weed whackers and leaf blowers, so we hear a mower now and then, but with the hedges, trees and space, it's not objectionable. The neighbor had a lawn service while she had her house rented and I got to experience the two Dixie Choppers and backpack leaf blower crew at 0700 every other Thursday. I'm glad that's over and I wouldn't wish that Hell on anybody.

Last edited:
I run my shovel head with just a collector and tip. No muffler at all. The tip has a washer welded inside at 45°. It is kinda quiet compared to the newer hogs with aftermarket exhaust. But after 4k rpm the shovelhead sounds like a dragster. Best of both worlds. Banging 2nd gear hard the noise comes on and the tire lights up. But otherwise I can ride through neighborhoods at lower rpm. Which is true of drag pipes....somewhat.

There is a lot of more important stuff to worry about. That does not mean that we should be doing nothing about this. We can multitask. Of course, "evolved, sophisticated human" would not force unnecessary noise upon others.
Totally agree.

Even my track-only drag car ran full exhaust with legit mufflers. It literally didn't hurt power, at all, and an extra 10-15lbs was meaningless weight.

Hell, I refused to buy a new lawn mower until I could start them and see how loud the blades were. That was a huge deciding factor for me.

I don't like racket, these threads just annoy me. As such, I'll just stay in my corner..

Lawn mowers..I only care if the guard is up. My neighbor knocked a bunch holes in my sidiing. That is a concern. My truck got hit by a rock a few months ago. Every freaking landscaper runs the guard up. And now most homeowners. Also wide open. This makes noise seem annoying but not dangerous. I was once guilty. Not anymore. But I like to cut at 4" right off idle. And cut more often. Saves alot of fuel. And I spare everyone from as much noise. Same with weed eater. Right above idle. Does just fine. Chainsaws are loud and it is the sweet music of work.

Back
Top Bottom