What's new

You're Too Loud

What's that expression about stupid games, and stupid prizes?

Opera Snapshot_2022-05-19_192345_duckduckgo.com.png

I don't like excessive noise, but I also don't like bad law. I hope this isn't another feel-good effort that falls apart in court and does little to address the problem. The reliability of the cameras to identify the correct offender will have to be very high, as will the ability to identify the operator.

It'll be funny if the use of noise cameras leads to greater adoption of an ATGATT mindset from the Loud Pipes horde. :photog

I don't like excessive noise, but I also don't like bad law. I hope this isn't another feel-good effort that falls apart in court and does little to address the problem. The reliability of the cameras to identify the correct offender will have to be very high, as will the ability to identify the operator.

It'll be funny if the use of noise cameras leads to greater adoption of an ATGATT mindset from the Loud Pipes horde. :photog
Consider for a moment NYC's speed and red-light cameras which simply issue fines to whoever owns the registration. Nobody shivs a git who the operator was. In return, violations cannot put points on anyone's license.

Fun part is if you contest the ticket you basically out yourself as the operator.

I do hope these endeavors are successful.

But it's not likely to change the mindset with the LPSL crowd.

Consider for a moment NYC's speed and red-light cameras which simply issue fines to whoever owns the registration. Nobody shivs a git who the operator was. In return, violations cannot put points on anyone's license.

Fun part is if you contest the ticket you basically out yourself as the operator.

I do hope these endeavors are successful.

But it's not likely to change the mindset with the LPSL crowd.
I believe that type of enforcement is improper at best, and illegal at worst. It certainly flies in the face of the spirit of the law, and the presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Yeah, it is a shame they have to make a rule about it but if I am near a busy road, it is common to have to stop a conversation while a loud exhaust/stereo goes by.
I live on a high traffic four lane city street. 95% of cars I can't hear at all. But those 5%, loud pipes/stereos and annoying. Worse, the asshats with the intentional near constant backfire that seems to be the rage among the boy racers these days. You can hear them for miles.

I believe that type of enforcement is improper at best, and illegal at worst. It certainly flies in the face of the spirit of the law, and the presumption of innocence until proven guilty.
I'm not sure I have an issue with them. There is definitely guilt, and if they are running red lights, then fuck them. People die that way. The owner of the car needs to take responsibility for its use, whether they are driving it, or letting someone else drive it. I'm not as in favor of speed cameras since they are less effective by far.

I'm not sure I have an issue with them. There is definitely guilt, and if they are running red lights, then fuck them. People die that way. The owner of the car needs to take responsibility for its use, whether they are driving it, or letting someone else drive it. I'm not as in favor of speed cameras since they are less effective by far.
I was speaking more to the noise cams, but even red light cams should allow the accused some recourse. In general, I don't believe automated law enforcement and adjudication is a good idea.

My problem with this kind of code enforcement, is that the systems are owned and operated by private for profit businesses that give a percent of the fines to municipalities. The municipalities then become addicted to the revenue without regard to due proces.
Yes. When citizens are relegated to just another revenue stream, it erodes trust in law enforcement and the justice system. Public trust is the foundation of those systems, and in the U.S., it's easy to see the result when that trust fails.

The possibilities to increase revenue, I mean safety, through the use of phones are virtually endless. Use GPS to monitor speed. Use the camera to monitor for distracted driving. Use the microphone to monitor for turn signal use or loud exhausts. Then they can automate the collection process by auto-charging Apple/Google Pay.

I'm being sarcastic but it seems highly likely that we'll see this proposed in the future.

You ... have not watched THX 1138?

200.gif

You're in for a treat. Some of the origins of Star Wars are hidden within, and there's an undeniable creativity at work that's rarely seen in major releases today.

Yeah, I know I've missed a lot of major movies, but I didn't even recognize THX 1138.

At least I did see nearly every 80's movie in the theater.

Accepted that Exhausts and loud stereos are certainly annoying, but i thought i would post this here for you to consider . Now old man reminiscences and observations.
More invasive than a loud exhaust is TYRES, And it could be both the width of them and the radial construction of them today. In the 60s i used to Shoot Pigeons with my grandad as a kid, we used to go early morning to land near wooler Northumbrland about 21/2 miles from the busy A1 road , as a kid i can remember as it started to get light and wind was right direction, you could hear the occassional big old diesel lory in the far distance and i never once remember hearing tyre noise never. Now and probably since the early 80s or so, as the wrld wakes up its that anoying tyre noise you hear and never hear lorry engines or loud bikes or cars just tyres.
Obvciously closer to road it will be more obvious exhast noises etc, but the tyres are not going to get quieter closer, and think if your walking up a rural road and a car is coming, you hear the tyre noise long before the exhaust.

Accepted that Exhausts and loud stereos are certainly annoying, but i thought i would post this here for you to consider . Now old man reminiscences and observations.
More invasive than a loud exhaust is TYRES, And it could be both the width of them and the radial construction of them today. In the 60s i used to Shoot Pigeons with my grandad as a kid, we used to go early morning to land near wooler Northumbrland about 21/2 miles from the busy A1 road , as a kid i can remember as it started to get light and wind was right direction, you could hear the occassional big old diesel lory in the far distance and i never once remember hearing tyre noise never. Now and probably since the early 80s or so, as the wrld wakes up its that anoying tyre noise you hear and never hear lorry engines or loud bikes or cars just tyres.
Obvciously closer to road it will be more obvious exhast noises etc, but the tyres are not going to get quieter closer, and think if your walking up a rural road and a car is coming, you hear the tyre noise long before the exhaust.
Interesting. Except for the few jacked up trucks, I pretty much never hear tire noise from a car.

Some friends of mine have owned a house for decades that is at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac. Their yard is heavily wooded and very private. It was an awesome spot until about 5 years ago when the state put in a highway bypass about 1/2 mile away. The berms all have rumble strips very close to the road surface so the driver gets a warning the moment they drift out of their lane. The noise at my friend's house is incredible. It's a constant loud hum of tires on rumble strips and completely ruins the peace and solitude of their yard. If the state would have placed the rumble strips even 6" more into the berm I'm guessing the noise would be reduced a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom