What's new

YZ125 Not an adv bike but an Adventure to own

GMK999

Member Number
I have an '01 and totally love the thing, as does my kid even though we have more modern trail bikes. Everywhere I go with the YZ there is a conversation about it. It seems that almost every has had one at one point or another.
But I rarely see threads on them other than on TT and as threads go there there is never follow up on resolved issues.
The bike is great fun on the track
A bit of a puzzle on the trail (but a great teacher in the SOHK)
Relatively simple and cheap to work on
and the model went relatively unchanged for almost 2 decades.

So I thought a thread here might be a good thing.
Picts
Tips
issues..
Post em up!!
Here is the kid (14) on our 21 yo YZ Coyote..
G0031630.jpeg

I like mine a 2020 X model. I mostly like it because I love riding a bike aggressively “on the pipe”. If I did that with a 250 I’d likely be upside down in the trees. That and the angry little bastard turns like nothing else.

E97E352F-991A-438F-849B-018D89F6D653.jpeg
Too funny.. When discussing mine it's either "Smile Maker" or " Pissed off little asshole".. I also have a Beta 200rr '21 and a ;16 beta x Both are twice the bike in everyway. but seriously not as fun. (the 200 is close)

Nice thread! I always wanted a YZ125 and toyed around with the idea of making a woods bike out of one. Age is creeping in and I just don't feel like rowing the gear box anymore!:lol3 The light weight is very appealing, they're just cool bikes. This will be a fun thread and who knows how much kool-aid I'm gonna drink watching it.:photog

Nice thread! I always wanted a YZ125 and toyed around with the idea of making a woods bike out of one. Age is creeping in and I just don't feel like rowing the gear box anymore!:lol3 The light weight is very appealing, they're just cool bikes. This will be a fun thread and who knows how much kool-aid I'm gonna drink watching it.:photog
You don’t have to make it a woods bike anymore. Yamaha sells a YZ125X now, It works better then any of the woods converted YZ125’s I’ve owned or tried.

The X is very nice. I definitely did a double take when Yamaha introduced it. I just don't know how much steam I got left at 58 to keep one moving in the gnarly stuff! I've been spoiled by big lazy torque to get me through!

The X is very nice. I definitely did a double take when Yamaha introduced it. I just don't know how much steam I got left at 58 to keep one moving in the gnarly stuff! I've been spoiled by big lazy torque to get me through!
It’s not to bad the X has some usable power off the pipe. Still it’s a small bore so you best stand up and shift/clutch. That’s what makes it fun. To me more fun then riding a 300 in the lug zone 2 gears high. YMMV

Did I mention that I am nursing a broken rib from my a fall a week or so on the YZ? One of the betas is awaiting paperwork so I'm back on the Zed. Riding an off camber ledge climb that I have done a hundred times. Get to the crux and bog through at the bottom of first as I always do ( Yes the bike does have some bottom) and the little asshole stalls. 39" seat, off camber, foot down, no earth below.. Ouch!! I hate that fucking bike!!
So time for a rebuild, because we all know it wasn't my fault.
Down to the Moto shop, Top end kit (vertex) New crank seals (oem), Idle screw (oem).
Total cost.. Cha-Ching.. $123. rounded up. I love that fucking bike

I had the 200 out last night.. Like I said before , it's twice the bike that the YZ is. But I'll be happily riding the YZ tonight keeping up with my kid on his 300.
North ride . If you get a chance, try the Beta 200 rr. 90% of the fun of the YZ 125, 100% the capability of the 300. all on the 125 platform. and most importantly (around here) it's street legal so getting between trail sections and riding Enduros is possible

If you get a chance, try the Beta 200 rr. 90% of the fun of the YZ 125, 100% the capability of the 300. all on the 125 platform.

I have ridden both the Beta 200 and the YZ125X, I like the YZ more. The Beta had too much of a lazy 300 feel about it, plus it was a good bit heavier. If I am going to lug that weight, I’ll go with a KTM 250XCW. Dont get me wrong, the Beta is a very nice bike but the power delivery and the way it rode was not my style. There is something about the 125x and how that motor lights off in an instant but still can lug a bit, it is just amazing. I might be faster on a bike with more CC, especially when tired but the smaller bikes are so fun to ride and that is the point of all of this.

Did I mention that I am nursing a broken rib from my a fall a week or so on the YZ? One of the betas is awaiting paperwork so I'm back on the Zed. Riding an off camber ledge climb that I have done a hundred times. Get to the crux and bog through at the bottom of first as I always do ( Yes the bike does have some bottom) and the little asshole stalls. 39" seat, off camber, foot down, no earth below.. Ouch!! I hate that fucking bike!!
So time for a rebuild, because we all know it wasn't my fault.
Down to the Moto shop, Top end kit (vertex) New crank seals (oem), Idle screw (oem).
Total cost.. Cha-Ching.. $123. rounded up. I love that fucking bike

I had the 200 out last night.. Like I said before , it's twice the bike that the YZ is. But I'll be happily riding the YZ tonight keeping up with my kid on his 300.
North ride . If you get a chance, try the Beta 200 rr. 90% of the fun of the YZ 125, 100% the capability of the 300. all on the 125 platform. and most importantly (around here) it's street legal so getting between trail sections and riding Enduros is possible
I’d like to try a Beta 125 RR RE and the Beta. 200 RR RE. I ride with some Beta riders and generally like their bikes. I don’t have any interest in the standard model Beta with the Cheap Sachs suspension. That would be a down grade from a YZX.

Yinzer Moto I agree with most of what you wrote, but there is only 4 lbs difference between the Zed #109 and Beta #113 (beta has E-start and street wiring) The KTM is another 17 on top of that #129

I think it’s of note the op is talking about his 2001 bike that’s a different gen then the 2005 and newer bikes and not a X model. Still a fun bike I had some early 90’s YZ’s I rode in the woods and liked them.

Yinzer Moto I agree with most of what you wrote, but there is only 4 lbs difference between the Zed #109 and Beta #113 (beta has E-start and street wiring) The KTM is another 17 on top of that #129

I thought the Beta is over 240 pounds and the YZ is under 200 pounds. Just asking, and I know the weight discussions get muddy when using manufactures stated weights.

I thought the Beta is over 240 pounds and the YZ is under 200 pounds. Just asking, and I know the weight discussions get muddy when using manufactures stated weights.
My Yamaha 125x weighs 211 on a scale at the airport flags, plastic skid plate full of gas ready to ride. Yamaha claims 207 ( I think) no skid or hand guards.

Yea, the published weights seem to be sketchy at best (I just found out) My YZ is the steel frame, it's 21 years old.Considering its age, Its capability is astounding .I do love the thing.
Infact.. I'm trail riding at 3: today

I have ridden both the Beta 200 and the YZ125X, I like the YZ more. The Beta had too much of a lazy 300 feel about it, plus it was a good bit heavier. If I am going to lug that weight, I’ll go with a KTM 250XCW. Dont get me wrong, the Beta is a very nice bike but the power delivery and the way it rode was not my style. There is something about the 125x and how that motor lights off in an instant but still can lug a bit, it is just amazing. I might be faster on a bike with more CC, especially when tired but the smaller bikes are so fun to ride and that is the point of all of this.
Do you happen to recall the powervalve setting on the Beta?
I find a very noticeable difference on mine when playing with that screw.
I can easily notice 1/2 of a turn.
With 3.5 available turns of adjustment, the bikes go from fast revving to lug with the simple spin of a 5mm allen key.
Turned all the way in, it feels like a baby 300. Flush with the case it feels like a 150 with some more bottom end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom