What's new

Drz400 Mega Thread

I agree, and I've been the guy as well, chasing the last bit of power, and draining the bank account in the process. When the FCR was a $450.00 mod, well then ok, it may be worth it. But now it's closer to $900.00. Umm, well, it's not for me.

Now I just need winter to get on out of here and stay gone.

Mine. Just purchased this evening.

Attachments

• 20220306_172302.jpg
    20220306_172302.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
Mine. Modified to suit me. Suspension redone and lowered a bit which helps along with the seat concepts seat. 17 lt Safari tank. Barrett racks. Rear cush hub running 15/40 gearing. Screen for Bikes screen. Vapor speedo/dash. LED headlight makes it more visible on the road, have not tried it at night, but it must be better. Fitted a kick starter during our covid lockdown period, used it once when I left the GPS on overnight, worked ok, better than push starting. I am using it as a light weight adventure bike, no trail riding. Too old for that. Just fitted Motoz Adventure tyres which seem ok for what I use it for. Going for an 8 day trip away with some mates in a week or so. I will throw on the Andy Strapz panniers and see how things go. No camping, just pubs or B&Bs. Cheers Ian

PXL_20220313_221213369.MP.jpg

Nicely outfitted, and I see the benefit of the cush hub. It would be nice to come outfitted that way from the factory

I've crashed a few times on my DRZ in the woods, but today was the first time on the road.

A deer decided that sprinting across the road was a good idea as I got to it's location. My front tire hit the back of the deer (legs or butt I'm not sure - it was too quick). In an instant, both the bike and I were laying in the road.

I stood it up, did a quick assessment by flashlight, and rode it the rest of the way to work.

The DRZ handled it like a champ! It's got a few scrapes on the forks, hand guards, and exhaust and the bars are slightly tweaked. I've got a few scrapes/bruises as well, but nothing major.

I'm VERY glad I wasn't on my SV.. There would have been a lot of broken pieces.

Damned timber goats!! I only ride at night when I have to anymore because of those things. They do make great jerky however. :lol3

Just got back from a 10 day trip around gippsland and the snowys with the DRz. A bit over 2500k. No major issues. Ran Motoz tyres and 15/40 gearing. Mainly dirt roads and tracks. Was comfortable at 100 kph.

An interesting mix of bikes, the DRz, a DR650, a Royal Enfield Himalayan, and a Super Tenere.

PXL_20220331_015715805.jpg

If you look very closely at the disc caliper, the top bolt is missing. I noticed it after I took the photo! Cable tie fixed it till I could get a replacement. I only had a really long bolt which I could have used, but the cable tie worked ok.

PXL_20220331_023743901.MP.jpg

The ride reports and photos are here if you are interested. http://170.249.236.23/~austouri/index.php?forums/out-and-about.31/

Very happy with the setup, only fell over twice, at zero ks when I put my foot down and nothing was there. Bugger.

Just got back from a 10 day trip around gippsland and the snowys with the DRz. A bit over 2500k. No major issues. Ran Motoz tyres and 15/40 gearing. Mainly dirt roads and tracks. Was comfortable at 100 kph.

An interesting mix of bikes, the DRz, a DR650, a Royal Enfield Himalayan, and a Super Tenere.

PXL_20220331_015715805.jpg

If you look very closely at the disc caliper, the top bolt is missing. I noticed it after I took the photo! Cable tie fixed it till I could get a replacement. I only had a really long bolt which I could have used, but the cable tie worked ok.

PXL_20220331_023743901.MP.jpg

The ride reports and photos are here if you are interested. http://170.249.236.23/~austouri/index.php?forums/out-and-about.31/

Very happy with the setup, only fell over twice, at zero ks when I put my foot down and nothing was there. Bugger.
What are your thoughts on that screen? My buddies are talking about a 10-day motocamping trip around the Rockies, and I'm trying to figure out if I should gear the DRZ up and join them. There would be a bunch of stuff to gear up for, but the first thing I thought of was a freakin' windscreen.

What are your thoughts on that screen? My buddies are talking about a 10-day motocamping trip around the Rockies, and I'm trying to figure out if I should gear the DRZ up and join them. There would be a bunch of stuff to gear up for, but the first thing I thought of was a freakin' windscreen.
Happy with the screen, keeps wind off the chest, which makes it a bit more comfortable on the highway. However, if I stand up the wind noise is a little bit less due to the turbulence from the screen. It is very dependent on each rider though, and you can always adjust the angle a bit too. It is a Screens for Bikes screen, made here in Oz.
Good luck with your trip. Cheers Ian

Definitely take the DRZ and go. As far as windscreens go. Some like them some don't. I belong in the don't like them camp. Mainly because of my height. I had a parabellum rally screen on my DR ( same headlight cowl) and it took the wind from my chest and directed it right into the base of my helmet. Caused enough turbulence at highway speed to blur my vision. But to be fair, it's not the same shape as the screens for bikes, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Definitely take the DRZ and go. As far as windscreens go. Some like them some don't. I belong in the don't like them camp. Mainly because of my height. I had a parabellum rally screen on my DR ( same headlight cowl) and it took the wind from my chest and directed it right into the base of my helmet. Caused enough turbulence at highway speed to blur my vision. But to be fair, it's not the same shape as the screens for bikes, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
I’m getting it set up now. This tank is hilariously oversized, but the price was right. First ride with this slipstreamer windshield is kinda like you described it. It’s tall enough that it’s putting the wind at my eyebrow, not the base of the helmet. I’ll tweak it a bit and see if simply raising it fixes that.

The luggage setup seems like a decent choice on first install.

B066A934-25FC-4C86-85B5-86CF55C40DC0.jpeg

Bike is looking really well sorted. I run the 4.0 gallon ims tanks on my son's bikes. Like yours they offer some radiator protection that is more important to me than looks, and not needing to stop at every gas station is nice. You'll have to let us know how you like the tusk luggage after the trip. Have fun.

Love it, we've needed yellow back in the lineup. Never cared for the black and grey models. To me, being more visible is a good thing

2016. Added DOT knobbies, 3x3 mod, JD jetting, Rekluse clutch, IMS footpegs, Racetech springs, Seat Concepts seat, and gearing. Great bike for my dirt riding in retirement. Picked up the Rotopax and mount for $25 at a BMW rally in NC. Nice to get the whole family out.
IMG_20211215_150102_01.jpg
IMG_20211024_204121.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh