What's new

Every day is Saturday.....

That's one of the hardest things to learn in life...."live within your means".

There are people that are broke with $20K a year incomes, and people that are broke with $2 million a year incomes.

Paying of debt early is definitely a smart move. There are those that say "I make more in the market than the interest on my mortgage".

That's all fine and dandy until suddenly your job is outsourced to some foreign land, and your house of cards comes tumbling down.

Do you what people that don't have any debt have????

Money!

Paying of debt early is definitely a smart move. There are those that say "I make more in the market than the interest on my mortgage".
We lived well below our means especially later in our careers. Retirement money accumulated very fast after the house was paid off.

I was told we were dumb many times for paying off the house early instead investing more in the market. Maybe we were, but being debt free took a lot of stress out of life. Especially when a couple months after making the last payment a talking head from corporate came in and announced they were closing the facility I worked in.

Last edited:

There are people that are broke with $20K a year incomes, and people that are broke with $2 million a year incomes.

That's all fine and dandy until suddenly your job is outsourced to some foreign land, and your house of cards comes tumbling down.

Do you what people that don't have any debt have????

Money!
200.gif

I think the biggest problem financial for the younger people I know is they don't know the difference in "Wanting" and "Needing"
Biggest thing that comes to mind for me, is that too many people of all ages "need" the latest and greatest $1500 cell phone every year when a new one comes out.

I think the biggest problem financial for the younger people I know is they don't know the difference in "Wanting" and "Needing"
I've been giving my kiddo this lesson as of recent. He's be helping around the house more and more. And instead of straight money, I'll order him a little Lego set or stack of Pokemon cards because those are wants. For as long as I need to, his needs are taken care of and he doesn't need to worry about it. He'll have food in his belly, roof over his head, and a vehicle to get him to/from work/school.

Wife and I have been putting a LOT more focus on our futures. Few years left on the mortgage. We don't owe money anywhere. My F250 had a payment about six years ago, but that's been paid off since. Won't do payments ever again. The shop that's going up is sort of part of that plan. A means to flip vehicles, maintain our older cars, and a way for my son to pull in side work when he gets older. You subtract the need to pay a mechanic or buy newer to avoid the repairs, it adds up quick. That goes for the houses too. I can't hire plumbers or electricians. I have to do the work myself if I am able to. Some things, like the wiring on the mast leading from the poles to the meter, I have to hire out. But everything else, I do on my own. The amount of people that approach me to mow my lawns...

We also moved our money to a HYSA is paying out at 4.5% which is really starting to add up.

I doubt I'll ever "retire". I can't not do something. Whether its a vehicle that needs to be put back together, firewood to be prepped, one of our apartments that needs some form of repair, or some other form of labor. My mind goes a million miles a minute. The only time I'm able to shut it off, is when I'm on the bike. Hunting is the most difficult thing for me to do, because just sitting in the tree, all I think about is the other shit that needs to be done. Just sitting there drives me nuts. I need to be engaged in something.

Although my wife and I are doing what we can to set him up, I have no idea where we're headed for those that are just starting off all on their own. I don't know how young kids are doing it now. I know a bunch that are working multiple jobs just to keep the lights on. I have someone in my family that bought a 500sqft "house" for $350k. I mean, how can you justify that? Interesting times ahead, and something tells me its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I "retired" at 59 but had cattle. My partner and I had 600 acres leased that we had 175 mama cows on so I was still spending a lot of time feeding, baling hay ,ect. My partner died last year , his widow and I sold the cattle from that place and dropped the lease.

She kept the 120 mama cows on the land she owns, and I kept 40 mama cows on the place I own. My wife and I help her when she needs a hand and I'll still be baling hay, but not as much. So I still have less to do now but still enough to keep me busy as I want to be.

My son is planning to take over my little cattle operation within the next year, so I might really "retire". Just be helping him and my friends widow some. I'm looking forward to it!

You can go to the various senior resource fairs or expos that are during the day. I went to one today with another one in two weeks. We have more of the bags made from recycled plastic than we know what to do with. All kinds of stuff to have around untill you decide you don't need it.
My wife's take from today.
1713996369814.jpeg

My take.
1713996408739.jpeg

Top Bottom Back Refresh