What's new

Kawasaki W 230

cabanza

Member Number
Set to debut in late 2024 in Asia, would Kawassaki bring it to the US for 2025? About 20 HP, 17" wheels... Looks great!

Kawasaki-W-230-2024--169Gallery-175c144b-2100512.jpg

It reminds me a lot of the Suzuki TU250 which wasn't a huge seller here. Retro bikes seem to be getting more popular and with a low enough price I think this could do better than the TU250.

I do not think kawi will import this one. I could be wrong but no market and over priced. A real shame the big 4 abandoned the classic twin shock motorcycles. We can still get these bikes. But not from the big 4. A zephyr 550 would be about unreal to buy new. A set of 705 and gold! Oh well...RE 650

The SR 400 yam was an ok seller for yamaha a few years ago too, there is as market for such a bike, and with enfield going all OHC and Leaving the Push rod even the 500 model drift off in history, Their Value though strong at the price point in some areas of the world might not remain so long term.
the better performing Liquid cooled 450 hymalayan by example being less well acepted in the enfield world in the UK than i hear The UK importers expected. The clasic 350 sales and hunter model are atracting popularity from t5he enfield faithful, the resale value failing is of concern to new buyers but good for those looking for used examples after others take the hit for them.
Not sure the Bullet 500 is still made or will reapear. but its sad the OHV went from the RE Line up in the UK .
Sometimes if its working just roll with it this endless persuit of performance in motorcycling might be counter productive in many buyrs requirements or needs, typical RE buyers might / most probably are not looking for the latest and greatest mearly hankering after a nostalgia boost is aq bike that worked aceptably in history and today why this endless change ? It adds weight complexity and Expense all killers of the old type bike enthusiasts that tend to play a large part of the RE fanbase now and historicaly.
Look at the interceptor 650 its slower heavier slightly smaller than the 1970 Intercepter 750 i had when i was 18 in 1976 , and dont get me wrong i like the new 650 intercepter but if it was as light as the 1970 version i would like it even more. Bikes and cars and i supose4 people get fatter as they get older it seems look at the real MINI and the Melenial BMW Mini for example its huge compared to a real mini. If its not broke dont fix it Retro needs to be size and weight too not just a name or essence of style in the consept then Retro bikes would be posibly taken seriously by more not just apreciated as a design exersise that is Quaint.

The SR 400 yam was an ok seller for yamaha a few years ago too, there is as market for such a bike, and with enfield going all OHC and Leaving the Push rod even the 500 model drift off in history, Their Value though strong at the price point in some areas of the world might not remain so long term.
the better performing Liquid cooled 450 hymalayan by example being less well acepted in the enfield world in the UK than i hear The UK importers expected. The clasic 350 sales and hunter model are atracting popularity from t5he enfield faithful, the resale value failing is of concern to new buyers but good for those looking for used examples after others take the hit for them.
Not sure the Bullet 500 is still made or will reapear. but its sad the OHV went from the RE Line up in the UK .
Sometimes if its working just roll with it this endless persuit of performance in motorcycling might be counter productive in many buyrs requirements or needs, typical RE buyers might / most probably are not looking for the latest and greatest mearly hankering after a nostalgia boost is aq bike that worked aceptably in history and today why this endless change ? It adds weight complexity and Expense all killers of the old type bike enthusiasts that tend to play a large part of the RE fanbase now and historicaly.
Look at the interceptor 650 its slower heavier slightly smaller than the 1970 Intercepter 750 i had when i was 18 in 1976 , and dont get me wrong i like the new 650 intercepter but if it was as light as the 1970 version i would like it even more. Bikes and cars and i supose4 people get fatter as they get older it seems look at the real MINI and the Melenial BMW Mini for example its huge compared to a real mini. If its not broke dont fix it Retro needs to be size and weight too not just a name or essence of style in the consept then Retro bikes would be posibly taken seriously by more not just apreciated as a design exersise that is Quaint.
I had always wanted an SR500 so when the SR400 came out I bought one. I was thoroughly disappointed. I'm too "young" to appreciate a '70s bike. And that's what the SR was. It wasn't an updated classic. It was an old bike Yamaha kept making. Honda made the Nighthawk 250 for many years as well but I'd say the Nighthawk 250 was easier to live with than the SR400. The W 230 will come with 17" wheels and an electric start. It will be expensive but that's what quality manufacturing, fit and finish requires. Will it sell well in the US? I doubt it. Look at the W800 sales. It's a niche model. If Kawasaki had put modern size wheels on the W800, I would have bought one.

I had always wanted an SR500 so when the SR400 came out I bought one. I was thoroughly disappointed. I'm too "young" to appreciate a '70s bike. And that's what the SR was. It wasn't an updated classic. It was an old bike Yamaha kept making. Honda made the Nighthawk 250 for many years as well but I'd say the Nighthawk 250 was easier to live with than the SR400. The W 230 will come with 17" wheels and an electric start. It will be expensive but that's what quality manufacturing, fit and finish requires. Will it sell well in the US? I doubt it. Look at the W800 sales. It's a niche model. If Kawasaki had put modern size wheels on the W800, I would have bought one.
I am getting too old to be teased with bike models we will never get. We can import 25yr old bikes. So all the cool bikes of the past are attainable. Plus older bikes such as the nighthawk are around. Add to the mess clones to high dollar modern retros. More of a choice now more than ever. I use to dream of these small machines. The suzuki goose 350 is an example. Enough emails and cash and I can legally have such a classic.

I do not even bother with the big 4 for low displacement new bikes. Too many classics and clones floating around to get hyped over unobtanium. We will get the kawi 230 as a clone in 10yrs when no one wants dated technology. Pan it off on the US! Then kawi will strike back like honda with a grom. I was rocking a ct70 75mph clone before a grom ever hit the drawing board. Long haul game!

Top Bottom Back Refresh