What's new

Welding & Fabrication

My welding is so bad its f'ing embarassing. Its still a ways out but when I retire I'm going to welding school- tired of smearing boogers all over everything.
That’s a great way to learn!

One of the coolest car guys I’ve met was a Marine who said he was going to build a turbo kit for his car with a Holset turbo. He said he couldn’t weld and I kinda figured it was just another project car that would never make it past the daydream phase. He took a welding class at the local community college and followed through with the whole project and it turned out really badass.

I threw this together yesterday. My welding still sucks, especially on 30 year old wrought iron fencing, Not enough grinding to clean it properly.

Jim - the trick to EZ Cast Iron Welding is to use ENiFe-Cl X .035 X 2 LB Spool (Nickel 55) cast iron welding wire (assumes you have a spool gun) and run Argon gas (98%+)

If using direct current, a reverse polarity electrode is the best choice. However, if the iron is contaminated, you can try higher heat with straight polarity ( prefer you just clean it well first)

Last edited:
Jim - the trick to EZ Cast Iron Welding is to use ENiFe-Cl X .035 X 2 LB Spool (Nickel 55) cast iron welding wire (assumes you have a spool gun) and run Argon gas (98%+)

If using direct current, a reverse polarity electrode is the best choice. However, if the iron is contaminated, you can try higher heat with straight polarity ( prefer you just clean it well first)
I was going to suggest exactly that but you beat me to it. :D

Just kidding. Yeah, that’s the kind of knowledge that separates the pros from the rest of us. 👍🏻

You gotta give that man his dues. He understands what's needed and makes good tools. I hope he goes far.

He has some nice stuff for sale. His vice is impressive. I'm not sure what ticked him off enough to move away from YouTube. He still posts an occasional video with comments off, but most of his videos are now on his site.

I didn't know about that. I haven't seen a video from him pop up in a while, but I didn't think anything about it.

I didn't know about that. I haven't seen a video from him pop up in a while, but I didn't think anything about it.
I think this was the first he mentioned moving more activity to his site. Makes sense.

I can't recall where he talked about turning off comments. Iirc, he was tired dealing with problem people in the YT comment sections so he turned commenting off. It's hard to argue he didn't have a point.

Wow. Throwing away a thriving YouTube channel because you're trying to drive traffic to your own personal forum is silly on many levels.

If his skin is that thin then I'm sure he moderates his forum with a heavy hand.

That's some sad ego stuff when any dissenting comment hurts you so much that you have to silence the masses.

He made some good tools, but his viewership was his customer base, aka the people who made him. He leans on the whole hardworking, blue collar, quality tools, honest workmanship thing ...but he's censoring like China? Those American good ol boys ain't going for that.

I'm sure a few devoted fanboys will follow him to his site where he, and only he, is the star of the show. But most will forget he exists and he'll fail now. Like me. No YouTube videos popped up and I forgot about him until you posted earlier today.

That boy needs some PR advice.

most will forget he exists and he'll fail now.
I agree, that's a big self-created hole. I figured he'd keep posting short versions to YT of whatever he was creating for his site so he wouldn't be leaving such big gaps for his nearly million subscribers. Maybe he has and there just haven't been many videos - I'm not a member of his site.

Like most YT channels, you never know much about what happens behind the scenes. His step back from YT could be due to many things, and his site may be doing well without more YT content. He offers some neat tools and his videos are generally entertaining, so I'm glad he's around.

I didn't quite understand why he viewed it as a problem that people skip to the end of the videos. I understand why it's a penalty according to the algo. I don't understand why it's a problem if he doesn't seem to be actively trying to grow his channel.

I get why he could be burned out on it though, especially the comments. Many other channels aren't a regular business. You can't pick up the phone and call Whistlin' Diesel. This guy is running a business and could have people calling and harassing or whining about some beef in the comments. Or maybe he's tired of the inconsistent and opaque rules of YT.

I got into fight with a YouTuber recently in his chat during a live. If I had that fu[kers phone number I'd bust out my old ISA modem and wardial that guy into next week. :lol3 Just kidding, I wouldn't do that. :D

caf4a84c-1fbc-4b48-9cb6-aebefc19f155_text.gif

I didn't quite understand why he viewed it as a problem that people skip to the end of the videos. I understand why it's a penalty according to the algo. I don't understand why it's a problem if he doesn't seem to be actively trying to grow his channel.

I get why he could be burned out on it though, especially the comments. Many other channels aren't a regular business. You can't pick up the phone and call Whistlin' Diesel. This guy is running a business and could have people calling and harassing or whining about some beef in the comments. Or maybe he's tired of the inconsistent and opaque rules of YT.

I got into fight with a YouTuber recently in his chat during a live. If I had that fu[kers phone number I'd bust out my old ISA modem and wardial that guy into next week. :lol3 Just kidding, I wouldn't do that. :D
I have a YouTube channel for my side gig. I generally ignore criticism and only answer valid questions. My take is that people have their own opinions on how stuff should be done. That and some are just idiots.

I have a YouTube channel for my side gig. I generally ignore criticism and only answer valid questions. My take is that people have their own opinions on how stuff should be done. That and some are just idiots.
Makes sense.

I guess my point about the tool guy is that his explanation of why he is pulling back from YT didn’t entirely make sense to me so I’m guessing that there is more to the story that he isn’t telling. I’ve watched a couple of his videos in the past but otherwise know nothing about him or his channel so I’m entirely speculating.

I didn't quite understand why he viewed it as a problem that people skip to the end of the videos. I understand why it's a penalty according to the algo.

Or maybe he's tired of the inconsistent and opaque rules of YT.
If the majority of people are skipping to the end that's a clear sign that you're rambling too much. It's also a clear sign that you're content is interesting enough that people still want to see what you're doing, but you're dragging on to much and people got stuff to do. But that's all good news. It means keep doing what you're doing, but making videos just got way easier and you don't have to edit nearly as much.

YouTube rules is a solid point.

If the majority of people are skipping to the end that's a clear sign that you're rambling too much.
He did.
It's also a clear sign that you're content is interesting enough that people still want to see what you're doing, but you're dragging on to much and people got stuff to do.
True.
But that's all good news. It means keep doing what you're doing, but making videos just got way easier and you don't have to edit nearly as much.
I'd rather he just tightened up his editing and cut down on the giggling, but either way would be fine. I agree with you about killing the comment sections and not releasing YT content. It appears that he has a big enough operation to afford someone to do minimal YT moderation in addition to other things. That would've been my solution, in addition to developing his own forum. I hope he isn't in the process of permanently damaging his business.

Yep. It's a shame it's been Googlized. Not telling people what rules they violated while simultaneously sanctioning them for violating the rules is about as shit as it gets.

If the majority of people are skipping to the end that's a clear sign that you're rambling too much. It's also a clear sign that you're content is interesting enough that people still want to see what you're doing, but you're dragging on to much and people got stuff to do. But that's all good news. It means keep doing what you're doing, but making videos just got way easier and you don't have to edit nearly as much.

That’s precisely why I don’t enjoy most YT videos that are explanatory in nature. It seems nearly universal that they could be 1/10th the length.

200.gif

That’s precisely why I don’t enjoy most YT videos that are explanatory in nature. It seems nearly universal that they could be 1/10th the length.

200.gif
Also one of the reasons mine are popular. I give very little commentary beyond just telling and showing how to do something. My "opinions" mean little when you are trying to do a valve adjustment, or oil change.

Top Bottom Back Refresh