What's new

1993 AmTran Genesis Mid-Bus Build

Good job, especially with the LVD. I wouldn't run a fridge without one, and I still keep a jump pack in the truck.

Careful use of a heat gun will soften up PVC conduit enough for it to be contoured to perfectly match the roofline. Just keep it from getting hot enough to kink or collapse. Pros use a hot box, but for smaller diameters, a heat gun works well.

If you run any PVC conduit on the exterior, including a section of flex will prevent the expansion and contraction from destroying it. I wish I'd thought of that before I trashed a junction box on my house.

Dad installed an isolator to keep the house battery from draining the starting batteries. LVD was put in to keep the fridge compressors from burning up running on too low a voltage.

We tried to use the heat gun but it just wasnt working. If it annoys me enough might try again. Noted on expansion joints! Thanks!

Gotta trials event next weekend. Time to clean up the construction mess and load up!

Any plans for solar charging? One of the side benefits I don't see mentioned much is that a properly sized system can run a fridge indefinitely while parked and unattended.

I know there are plenty of sources for PV panels in your area, and you may be able to find some used residential panels that were taken out of service early to take advantage of more efficient, newer panels. A few of those flat mounted on the roof would keep your house battery happy.

If you decide you need more house power, an LFP battery would be smart. Northern AZ Wind & Sun has some RV/marine systems that can be used for ideas.

Yes solar just moved up on the need list a whole bunch. I spent 23 years in the solar biz here in NM so I have a couple connections. ;)

For right now though, going to just drop a 100w Harbor freight panel on the ground to keep up in the short term.

Why does the bus smell like starting to rot death? Must be that little asshole rodent that ate that desiccant pack outta the solar controller box.
Oh hey looky there. It's not death, it's wet floors and walls where rodents have been.
sigh
Toilet sprung a leak and dumped 20 gallons of freshwater all over.
1f62b.png
Luckily it looks like there's enough holes in the floors that most of it leaked out. Got a few box fans running to dry it all out.

Top Bottom Back Refresh