What's new

2022 Around the Bend Rally

PXL_20220304_124832730.jpg

I actually had a silly get off on an uphill climb in a pile of baby heads and twisted my ankle I thought. It was a low side get off on an up hill section, I went down on my back and the bike fell back and twisted my left boot to the left about 100-120 degrees. I have thousands of miles of off roading on the 450L, AMA Rally's , NM, CO, OK, AR trips, so a low speed fall is not foreign to me. I'll chock this up to just bad luck.

I want to thank everyone that stopped and helped. Particularly the Flight EMT & the nurse who helped at the scene. And the guys who had a 2wd pickup that hauled my bike to Rio Grande Village

The impromptu volunteers quickly had me on the side of the road, Leg Elevated in a Rock Lift, and used a Garmin to get help called in

1646696067831.png

Desert Shade required when waiting on a ride out.

1646696088425.png

It took:
2.5h for Park Ranger to get to me
3.5h to get to the Rio Grande Village via 4x4 Park Ranger's Yukon
2.0h ride to get to Alpine Hospital in Ambulance.
1.0h Helo ride to Odessa Hospital for Orthopedic Surgery

1646696171015.png

X Rays revealed perfect radial textbook fractures of both lower leg bones.

1646696223284.png

Surgery on Saturday night, then Sunday I drove home with new 15"+ Titanium pin in the left leg and a cast.

Last edited:
Park Ranger and I had lots to talk about for 3.5 hours.

Last year, Guy broke his leg in the same general area of River Road, and he was laying there for 3 days until someone drove by.

If you are going to play in the desert, you better be prepared.

I actually had a silly get off on an uphill climb in a pile of baby heads and twisted my ankle I thought. It was a low side get off on an up hill section, I went down on my back and the bike fell back and twisted my left boot to the left about 100-120 degrees. I have thousands of miles of off roading on the 450L, AMA Rally's , NM, CO, OK, AR trips, so a low speed fall is not foreign to me. I'll chock this up to just bad luck.

I want to thank everyone that stopped and helped. Particularly the Flight EMT & the nurse who helped at the scene. And the guys who had a 2wd pickup that hauled my bike to Rio Grande Village

The impromptu volunteers quickly had me on the side of the road, Leg Elevated in a Rock Lift, and used a Garmin to get help called in

1646696067831.png

1646696088425.png

It took:

1646696171015.png

1646696223284.png

Surgery on Saturday night, then Sunday I drove home with new 15"+ Titanium pin in the left leg and a cast.

Oh that's a bummer. Hope it heals up well.

1646696067831.png

1646696088425.png

It took:

1646696171015.png

1646696223284.png

Cheese and rice man!

1646696067831.png

1646696088425.png

It took:

1646696171015.png

1646696223284.png

Damn that sucks, where was your buddy on the Duc?

1646696067831.png

1646696088425.png

It took:

1646696171015.png

1646696223284.png

No likes Mark 😪

I'm so sorry. Thoughts and prayers. Hope your lovely wife isn't freaking.

Wishing you a quick recovery

Bummer. Best wishes.
Thanks for publishing the evac times. Folks should study that.

number one concern is to keep calm, Triage and scene management
  • how to not go into shock - keep cool
  • pain management - I keep prescription pain meds with me in my pack, plus OTC
  • water, snacks
  • fire , perhaps signal fire
  • shade, paracord
  • call for help - Garmin in reach mini
  • map, GPS location
  • Blood clotting -Raise your leg/arm 6 inches above your heart
those unfamiliar with camping or survival in the desert - this book has been recommended

1648563479550.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh