What's new

+ Week Baltimore to Maine again (no more neck pinch)

gpounce

ADV+
Member Number
Early every summer I try to escape for a week or so ride, up into New England. I did the ride in 2022 and my R6 started eating itself on the return leg. Being a Suzuki guy at heart I bought my 1st new bike- a GSXS-S1000 later that summer, spent the fall getting acclimated and tuning the suspension and so on. The bike shaped up well with a Penske rear shock and Bitubo JBH fork cartridge replacements and a few other odds and ends, so I went ahead with the trip in 2023- same idea as last year, no stops, no landmarks, just riding.

I started with a bit over an hour of highway grind from Baltimore up 83 to Harrisburg when I could finally get off the highway. I was concerned about comfort on the bike- the seat is not quite idea OTOH the posture is great, much less fatigue on it than on the R6- it make the ride a lot more pleasant. Downtown Harrisburg is very pretty- lots of classic old stone houses on the north side = my favorite!

image1.jpeg

A short distance north of town I got onto Rt 325 Clarks Valley Road which was amazing- long, sun-dappled road, open fields, no traffic. Since the bike was a lot more comfortable I could better enter that meditative space, taking in the entire moment for longer periods.

image2.jpeg

Picked up Rt 125 north of there and it got twisty- had some fun, the bike handling very well and less fatigue. The engine is a much better match for this kind of riding; more torque, less shifting. I found the bike corners very easily, perhaps not as quickly and effortlessly as the R6- its a heavier bike and a bit longer but steering is light and sure.

image3.jpeg

And later on 487, thru Bloomsburg and Catawissa the road opened up and got a bit faster. > 130whp makes for quick passes that don't need downshifts :)

image4.jpeg

I like to get in some dirt/gravel at least once on these trips, so at Lopez PA I picked up Dutch Mountain Rd which is paved about 1/3 of the way over to Meshoppen. It gets steep on the gravel, great fun and I learned a bit about the fancy ABS braking...kind of annoying when holding the bike back on a bumpy gravel road, but it all worked fine. The camera footage became quite jittery here so only one pic.

image5.jpeg

And eventually I made it to the motel- Skyline Motel in Tunkhannock. Its a plain old-school roadside motel, very clean, well-worn - cheap too- and the old wing has walk-out rooms so you can stay close to the bike.

image7.jpeg

This is the "F" model, unfaired as compared to the GT which is the same bike but with fairings and official luggage and a TFT display. The panniers on this bike are aftermarket. They are of reasonable quality though the bag mounting is not as robust as Givi- so I modified the mount to make them permanent. Being slightly smaller than my old ones I have to be less of a packrat, so thats helpful.

The 44L drybag is quite handy, but tiedowns will need a bit more practice to keep it from sliding forward into my back. OTOH the GSXS doesn't mind its weight at all- the R6 <hated> the weight back there, notable front end shake when decelerating between 65 to 50mph or so.

small-IMG_20230530_152428.jpg

small-IMG_20230530_152445.jpg

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I got on the road a bit earlier on day 2- heading north up 29 and 167 to Binghamton. Lots of trucking around this area up to Montrose- so after this gorgeous start I spent a while grinding along behind them.

image8.jpeg

But eventually got past the last one- out into the small road farmland among rolling hills riding I prefer... I saw this deer coming and held back, he was certainly fixated on the bike at first;

image9.jpeg

Eventually, past Binghamton on Rt 12 the roads opened up really well... only saw one popo, which was fortunate :)

image10.jpeg

Alas my camera power cord came loose north of Utica so I lost the last 90 mins or so of footage thru the Adirondacks into Tupper Lake which ended day 2.... check those power connections!

The bike's major downside is the seat which is HORRIBLE after an hour or so, particularly when stuck in a grind behind traffic. I'm heading east tomorrow, going to find a bike shop, get some bicycle shorts- the firmest they have. I'll be searching for an alternative when I get home... 2hrs into a ride its very uncomfortable, stopping helps but not enough. Oh well at least I'm not exhausted from the days ride like on the R6... so this is a lot better on balance.

Nice.

I too have an F-model Suzuki:

MKyscqB.jpg

I'm headed to Maine tomorrow myself. Supposed to be hot. I'm thinking the coast. Somewhere around Hermit Island. You see a DR650 with NOS tanks on the tank, send a wave. :beer

Rain over the weekend looks like- am in Littleton NH tomorrow night- 2nd leg east of the lake will be a long haul... :-)

I got started early, a gorgeous morning on Rt 3 enroute thru Saranac and Plattsburg. Once I shed the traffic the roads were very nice... good way to exercise the bike- some fantastic riding here.

image11.jpeg

image12.jpeg

The bike shops in Saranac and Plattsburg weren't open as I passed through, looking for some bicycle shorts to help make the seat manageable.. fairly unbearable to sit on after 2hrs- so I pressed on north up the lake to the Champlain bridge.

image13.jpeg

image14.jpeg

Having passed over the bridge and heading south on Rt 2 in Vermont the islands there are wonderful- but keep it reeled in for sure. No passing lanes and low speed limits and cops circulating. A guy ahead of me got pulled over for no apparent reason- we were at the speed limit. Even the locals take it slow in this region- which is warning enough.

image15.jpeg

Edgars Cyclery in Burlington saved my a$$, literally :rofl I got the firmest pair of bicycle shorts they had which made a substantial difference. I'm going to find a better seat when I get home but this will keep the trip fun in the meantime.

I picked up some muck on the camera lens after Burlington so lots of fuzzy video not worth showing here. OTOH- this season it would be a good idea to avoid Rt 2 between Burlington and maybe halfway to St Johnsbury, there is extensive road work going on and very heavy traffic. I about broiled myself waiting for the single lane traffic to move. Rt 2 is a very pretty road and very fun in various places- but check for traffic this summer!

All that said there were a number of stretches where you can put together quite a few corners- even played a bit with a couple local crotchrockets but we got stuck in traffic.

Pulled into the Eastgate Inn in LIttleton NH- another classic roadside motel, in very good condtion. Tomorrow is the coast of Maine.

image16.jpeg

Day 4, heading from LIttleton NH to Gorham and Berlin up the Androsoggin on 16. I got caught a few times behind traffic, the nice thing about 16 is many places to pass. Popo likes to lurk from the Dummer area to the south. Watch out for moose along the river- I saw one but happily not on the road.

image17.jpeg

image18.jpeg

image19.jpeg

Then to Errol and south on 26 to Upton then a nice little road over to Andover.. very pretty area there;

image20.jpeg

From there, then down to Wiscasset via various smaller roads not really notable. The camera is acting up a bit- looses focus for periods and 720p is kind of old fashioned at this point. I'll try 1080 on the way home, but I think its time for a newer camera. This one is Drift HD which is convenient but I'd like greater resolution.. and less flakiness lol

Staying 2 nights here on the coast, then heading south to western Mass.

Love riding through there, some future trip up I'm taking some of the gravel roads thru Wentworths.

Ugh what a morning- no trouble, thankfully. I timed my departure perfectly to go thru peak rain in the nor'easter up here, mid 40's and pissing rain for a hour on I-95 I've been in more intense rain, and for longer- but with the cold and wet and highway spray this was probably the worst per mile of any of it. My favorite PITA of this kind of riding is paying tolls with soggy money out of the raingear pockets... did that 3 times. Yes, I know, ezpass- but I avoid highways in general except for cases like this so almost all the time I would never use it.

Rain was with me from mid-coast Maine down to the Mass border. I took two breaks, one for gas and needed a while both times to warm up so my hands could grasp things like money and zippers.

Once out of the rain I had a couple more hours ride in drier air which helped the gloves and raingear, and my boots went from squirting water at each step to merely soggy... This was a get-miles-done day, so I slabbed it down 95S then MA Rt 2 west to Shelburne Falls. I've not taken those roads for 10years or so... kind of boring- I prefer NH 9 thru Keene... but Rt 2 sure gets the miles done.

Never been so happy to strip off and get into dry clothes in the motel :) But in the end, its a good day when you can spend it riding.

Looks like the issues with the camera is the little smb connector/usb adapter I made up years ago- saw the power go in and out a few times generally coorelated to jostling the connector- broken wire maybe. Whatevs, I'm going to upgrade to a new Drift XL which doesn't need accessory power to run all day and will get stabilized HD video. So I'll fill in with some camera pics once I'm home.

Got decent rain gear at least? Today and, well, this week is a sucky week for riding. Looks like rain for the next week.

Yeah, my brother in law gave me his old suzuki brand jacket- which is matchy-matchy brandwise OTOH its bright yellow and big so fits over my regular jacket and works well. Thank goodness I didn't pack for base layer only this trip, would have had some trouble today for sure. Jeans get a bit soaked below the knee but the additional layers were a lifesaver. Hands and feet were cold but all that stuff kept it to just an uncomfortable level. And I have dry stuff to wear tomorrow thank goodness.

Thankfully today was my trip out to western Mass, so its just cloudy and temps into the 70's. I thought about staying longer on the coast- wait out the weather, but it was looking like multiple days so I rolled the dice and stayed on schedule. Lots of bikes out there today in Massachussets though, and I saw a few adv types and some harley's heading north into Maine, they're going to have a wet time of it.

Top Bottom Back Refresh