What's new

BMW Stop Sale

cabanza

Member Number
Looks like BMW has issued a stop sale on all motorcycles. It is emissions related from what I read. I smell a recall. Ha.

I knew BMW's new coal fired R1300 hydrogen moto-dirigible was a bad idea.

1695304937941.png

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that all models share a component that affects emissions. It will be interesting to see what this is. Luckily this happened in the fall rather than the spring when more people are buying bikes.

I find it hard to believe that all models share a component that affects emissions. It will be interesting to see what this is. Luckily this happened in the fall rather than the spring when more people are buying bikes.
The USA is the only country that requires the carbon canister. That said, my bet is it is a labeling issue.

The USA is the only country that requires the carbon canister. That said, my bet is it is a labeling issue.

Yeah, somewhere there is probably an attorney scratching his head trying to figure out how to condense his 3 page letter into a 1 sentence decal. All they gotta say is "Don't overfill the fuel tank dumbass"

I thought I read someone else that this affects used bikes as well, but what range of years? Is there a stop sale even on a R1150GS? What about those bikes from the 1930s without any regulations? The info seems incomplete.

I thought I read someone else that this affects used bikes as well, but what range of years? Is there a stop sale even on a R1150GS? What about those bikes from the 1930s without any regulations? The info seems incomplete.
So far, the "experts" say all ICE bikes in the showroom. No other details. Any bike on the road is free from it. Tell me how much sense that makes?

I'll wager $5 the problem is the activated charcoal in the evap canister is actually unactivated charcoal. This is what BMW means by "material issue".

So far, the "experts" say all ICE bikes in the showroom. No other details. Any bike on the road is free from it. Tell me how much sense that makes?
Since they did not sell the bike on the road with a known defect, they probably have limited exposure. If they sell a new or used bike knowing it has a issue, big law suit.

Stop sale lifted already, no details yet, but likely a BS reason in the first place.
We probably will never know.

New model coming out, a Stop Sale Order, then whatever the reason, big or small, it will impact sales and be seen as Customer's Apprehension to buy.

While I love watching the tech of the new. I am very pleased with my 1200, non TFT. I have no plans of ever owning anything else. A Zumo XT, and a Sena 40 headset and I am good to go on tech. As far as performance I cant/don't use all I have now, well except for the wild hair "lets do the Ton with the Quick Shifter" that happens about every time I am on the bike :-)

Top Bottom Back Refresh