What's new

Boots

woods

Yawp.
Mod
ADV+
Member Number
Before I pull a ~$200 trigger on some logger boots, there any other motorcycle boots that work just fine as walk around boots? I don't want to keep swapping back and forth on riding boots, then get to the office, the grocery store, walk in the woods to a fishing spot, etc., and wear something else.

I'm wearing a nice set of Thorogoods and the shifter is going to start wearing that area thin. I could ShooGoo a thing of leather onto them, but I'm not ready to do that on ~$400 boots.

I walk around in my RST's all the time, but I've got a good feeling they're not going to be the style you're looking for.

Leather it is. Bought a foot of strapping. Going to cut it to fit and apply it where the shifter hits.

Been going back and forth on it. I can drop ~$200 on mid range boots, but I'll still have the issue of the shifter wearing through. I can buy some dedicated motorcycle boots, but I'm not bringing a spare set of boots with me any time I take the bike somewhere for the day- which is almost every day.

Slap on the leather, wife says she'll make it nice and clean, and go from there.

HH Boots
I've been riding these boot for close to 40 years. I'm on my 2ed pair. If you've got a real cobbler close buy he may be able to stitch a patch on your left toe for the shifter.

Before you buy more Thorogoods have a look at Drew's Boots loggers. They are a bit more money but should last 4x what the Thorogoods do. Having said that, I went off the deep end last year and ordered a pair of Nick's Builder Pro as a gift to myself...received them last month and had to adjust my shifters just to get the boot under them. If I had to do it over, I think I'd go to the Drew's first due to pricing and lead times.

I wore Thorogoods for a few years, but I was really starting to struggle with back pain. I changed to these keen safety toe boots that have lasted quite well. Not made in USA which bums me out, but I've had em going on a year and a half or more which
IMG_20230419_121613_818.jpg
IMG_20230419_121605_354.jpg
IMG_20230419_121550_332.jpg
must be a record for me. I'm really really hard on footwear.

I think both the keens and thorogoods protect better than the forma adv boots I used to wear, those things were pretty weak in my humble opinion. My dedicated mc boots are Alpinestars tech 7s which are great but I sure ain't gonna wear em to the hardware store.

Steel/composite toe Redwings here. The recent zipper up the side feature seems a pointless gimmick; I find using it means I have to leave the laces too loose and the boots flop around on my feet. But man, they wear well. I had occasion to clean out a basement w/ backed up sewer so splashed around in 2 to 3" of contaminated water for few hours- even 10yrs old or so and heavily worn the waterproofing was still nearly intact. Nearly not quite whats desired in such cases but I was impressed; using my old beaters rather than the newer good ones because of the sewage I was expecting them to leak all over- they barely leaked.

hmm but I don't ride with them.. just for hoofing it around jobs. I have TCX riding boots for the bike...

I've had a couple jobs like that, there's one we all remember by name

"Asswater Falls"

:lol3

F3ck all yea- got 2 aux pumps going and troubleshooting the house sump pump naturally had the weight and float come off the switch so it was offline for the event. Got a couple sprays of poopwater to the face while purging air from the pumps, make me sick the next day. But at least I didn't have to do the demo over the last couple days and they hired a plumber to put in the sewer check valve...

Before I pull a ~$200 trigger on some logger boots, there any other motorcycle boots that work just fine as walk around boots? I don't want to keep swapping back and forth on riding boots, then get to the office, the grocery store, walk in the woods to a fishing spot, etc., and wear something else.

I'm wearing a nice set of Thorogoods and the shifter is going to start wearing that area thin. I could ShooGoo a thing of leather onto them, but I'm not ready to do that on ~$400 boots.
I'm a huge fan of Gearne Balance Trials boots. They're old school leather with a wide footbox and they're waterproof and hiking boot comfortable out of the box. I bought my first set about 10 years ago and recently just replaced them with the same boot I like them that much. During that time I decided I wanted to try out the Sidi Adventure Gortex and bought a pair, they made it one ride and I sold them, they baked my feet. I wear wool hunting socks in the Gearne's year around and my feet aren't hot, rarely sweat because the boots breathe. I also wear Gearne SG10s on my dirtbike because of their wide foot box. Gearne has come out with some other leather ones similar to the Balance trials boot with a shifter pad and different soles, if they're like the trials boots they'll be comfortable also. Other then the slight pressure on your calf's you get from all boots you would know your wearing motorcycle boots when walking around, they're that comfortable.

I ordered in a pair the Balance boots and was disappointed with them. Maybe I was expecting too much, but they were much flimsier than expected. Sure, that were plenty flexible enough to be comfy, but flexible doesn't equal good to me. Flexible= not protective. I've had enough broken ankles and feet already. I hate laces on a bike, but my current Thorogoods were safer to ride in.

Don't think they still make, but I sent back the Balance's and got a pair of Icon Eldinore's. Man, I miss those boots. Nice and rigid but easy to walk in. Not even remotely waterproof but that's not something I care about in boots

I just ordered up a length of leather. Wife is going to cut it up to match the boots and attach it.

Been wearing logger boots for over 15 years now. Hard to get accustomed to anything.

There really doesn't look like there are any other boots that are truly great for riding and daily wear.

I ordered in a pair the Balance boots and was disappointed with them. Maybe I was expecting too much, but they were much flimsier than expected. Sure, that were plenty flexible enough to be comfy, but flexible doesn't equal good to me. Flexible= not protective. I've had enough broken ankles and feet already. I hate laces on a bike, but my current Thorogoods were safer to ride in.

Don't think they still make, but I sent back the Balance's and got a pair of Icon Eldinore's. Man, I miss those boots. Nice and rigid but easy to walk in. Not even remotely waterproof but that's not something I care about in boots
They definitely don't have the ankle protection of the newer style boots with a pivot ankle. If you have a tendency to hurt your ankle in a crash I'd buy the best boots I could find, it's unlikely they'll be hiking boot comfortable but that's secondary to hurting your ankle again. I've given this allot of thought over the years and came up with some personal conclusions that are just my opinion and based on my experiences.

I grew up racing MX wearing Full Bores that were all leather and low on the ankle protection scale, at the time we didn't know better and that's all there was. For dirt bike riding I wear expensive boots that have the typical well protected ankle. My DS riding is at a 60~70% level compared to dirt bike riding and I don't crash much DS riding because it tends to be remote areas so I ride appropriately. That doesn't eliminate the risk but I'm not convinced the other style are the ticket for safety. A couple situations I know of directly concerning highly protective boots comes to mind. In one a friend was riding Lockhart Basin alone (not smart) but he's a great rider that does that stuff all the time, this time his ecu died on his 450. He was wearing MX boots and had to walk out, he make it 2 miles before the blisters forced him to remove the boots and wrap rags around his feet due to the pain. The other was watching a friend get a torsional (twist) break of his tibia wearing a $500 set of top of the line Alpine Stars. Both are ancidotal but to add insult to injury, after they removed the pins holding this guys leg straight he required knee surgery. Highly protective boots are no guarantee you won't have a serious injury to your leg in a crash because they tend to take out any give at the ankle that allows a rotational twist to be spread over the length of your leg and focuses it at your knee and fib/tib. By design the ankle rotates more laterally then the knee does without injury and most of the riders I know who have required knee surgury from a off road crash were wearing highly protective boots. I'm not convinced you not trading one risk for another, but in the case of a large bike with hard bags there's no question very good boots are an necessity. I don't ride a bike with hard bags anymore which was the one situation I felt under protected with leather boots. Not saying the new style doesn't offer more ankle protection but to me that doesn't eliminate the risks, it just moves it away from your ankle. I'm not trying to justify leather boots and I'm very much aware of the risk factors associated with them. I wear a neck guard when I ride dirtbikes but I don't on a DS bike, it's all risk assessment and one person's risk's aren't always the same as another's. 50 years of MC riding has taught me that most injuries are the riders fault and one should protect themselves appropriately based on their skill level and when that fails the cards land where they land. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Gaerne Balance Pro-Tech (non-Oiled) and their Dakar GTX boots. I haven't worn the Dakars in heat yet, but I'm sure they're warmer due to the waterproof liner. Both are comfortable for walking, with the Dakars offering significantly more support. I've worn the Balance as a non-moto boot for a day, and like you said, they just feel like a regular, heavy duty boot on the ground.

This is an older video, but I don't think the boot has changed.

You can get the trials boots with the waterproof liner also, I think the WP version is very similar w/o a shifter guard and they have different soles.

They definitely don't have the ankle protection of the newer style boots with a pivot ankle. If you have a tendency to hurt your ankle in a crash I'd buy the best boots I could find, it's unlikely they'll be hiking boot comfortable but that's secondary to hurting your ankle again. I've given this allot of thought over the years and came up with some personal conclusions that are just my opinion and based on my experiences.

I grew up racing MX wearing Full Bores that were all leather and low on the ankle protection scale, at the time we didn't know better and that's all there was. For dirt bike riding I wear expensive boots that have the typical well protected ankle. My DS riding is at a 60~70% level compared to dirt bike riding and I don't crash much DS riding because it tends to be remote areas so I ride appropriately. That doesn't eliminate the risk but I'm not convinced the other style are the ticket for safety. A couple situations I know of directly concerning highly protective boots comes to mind. In one a friend was riding Lockhart Basin alone (not smart) but he's a great rider that does that stuff all the time, this time his ecu died on his 450. He was wearing MX boots and had to walk out, he make it 2 miles before the blisters forced him to remove the boots and wrap rags around his feet due to the pain. The other was watching a friend get a torsional (twist) break of his tibia wearing a $500 set of top of the line Alpine Stars. Both are ancidotal but to add insult to injury, after they removed the pins holding this guys leg straight he required knee surgery. Highly protective boots are no guarantee you won't have a serious injury to your leg in a crash because they tend to take out any give at the ankle that allows a rotational twist to be spread over the length of your leg and focuses it at your knee and fib/tib. By design the ankle rotates more laterally then the knee does without injury and most of the riders I know who have required knee surgury from a off road crash were wearing highly protective boots. I'm not convinced you not trading one risk for another, but in the case of a large bike with hard bags there's no question very good boots are an necessity. I don't ride a bike with hard bags anymore which was the one situation I felt under protected with leather boots. Not saying the new style doesn't offer more ankle protection but to me that doesn't eliminate the risks, it just moves it away from your ankle. I'm not trying to justify leather boots and I'm very much aware of the risk factors associated with them. I wear a neck guard when I ride dirtbikes but I don't on a DS bike, it's all risk assessment and one person's risk's aren't always the same as another's. 50 years of MC riding has taught me that most injuries are the riders fault and one should protect themselves appropriately based on their skill level and when that fails the cards land where they land. Just my opinion.
Those torsional injuries are no joke and something I think about from time to time.

Like you said, there's hazards to the game. That sucks, but it's still worth the thrill for now 😁

I know a fella with parts from the McMaster-Carr Ti line holding his left leg together after most of his body performed a flawless pirouette before his bike landed on him. I don't know if the rotation caused the spiral fractures before the impact of the bike, but I doubt that distinction matters. He was wearing MX boots, and no knee braces.

Gaerne Fastbacks did a great job of locking in and protecting the ankle when the bike came down on the foot.
It ended with two perfect textbook spiral Fractures of the Tib/Fib. Got me a nice chunk of Ti installed for the fix.

If I am just riding on the street, I wear Redwing work boots, RIO FLEX, I basically live in them anyway.

Last edited:

I have a pair of Gaerne Balance Pro-Tech (non-Oiled) and their Dakar GTX boots. I haven't worn the Dakars in heat yet, but I'm sure they're warmer due to the waterproof liner. Both are comfortable for walking, with the Dakars offering significantly more support. I've worn the Balance as a non-moto boot for a day, and like you said, they just feel like a regular, heavy duty boot on the ground.

This is an older video, but I don't think the boot has changed.

I have those and tested their waterproofing last night. I rode through a couple spots on my way to work where the water level was over a foot high on the road. The boots held up. My riding pants failed at the zippers. My shorts underneath looked as if I had pissed myself. My riding jacket also held up.

Top Bottom Back Refresh