What's new

Coleman 196cc Extreme

She won't care about going 40mph. She rarely got her TTR 125 out of second gear. She likes just tootling around in the pastures, but 80% of our property is hilly. Torque would be appreciated over speed. Especially when I plop my 220 lbs on it 😁
That would be any big wheel coleman. If more torque is needed a 60 or 72 tooth sprocket can be installed or a cvt. I run swampy flatlands. Here is a channel that has many coleman mods. And a trailmaster dual suspension that comes stock with a cvt. He also rides a tw200. These big wheel minis are a cheaper version of the tw. I like the pullstart and lack of batteries. The mods are endless. The ride is kinda plush with low psi. BWX covers some of this on his channel.
Coleman ex with cvt and mods

Mb200 stock

The mb200 will weigh more than the coleman. One of my favorite setups was the ct200u with a 99cc and jackshaft. I really liked the small engine. But I had some alignment and gearing issues to sort out. But a 79cc or 99cc can pull a big wheel coleman around with the correct gearing. These bikes can be setup how you want. That is the fun part.

This has got to be the same thing as a Coleman CT200, as far as wheel size and engine, right? It's even got the same CT200UF name.

There's a few clean Coleman's I can pick up secondhand for about $559-600, but the Axis having the sprung seat...I feel like that's worth the extra $200 to just run out to Lowe's and grab one.

Unless there's something else I should be aware of?

Screenshot_20230610-131414.png
2nd hand colemans should be around $500 and in good condition. I think I priced a BT200 for 799 at tsc. And $750 from walmart. The axis looks like a coleman but I have no info. A good question is a mb200x trailmaster worth the extra money at $1249 shipped to your front door. Adding a cvt and rear suspension to a coleman would cost time and money. I personally like the lantern company's product. But the mb200x would be nice

2nd hand colemans should be around $500 and in good condition. I think I priced a BT200 for 799 at tsc. And $750 from walmart. The axis looks like a coleman but I have no info. A good question is a mb200x trailmaster worth the extra money at $1249 shipped to your front door. Adding a cvt and rear suspension to a coleman would cost time and money. I personally like the lantern company's product. But the mb200x would be nice
Once you get in to the $1200-1300 territory that feels like full size dirt bike money to me. I mean, my Estart 520 exc was $1500 and it's a beast. I feel like $800 is about my personal cap for a mini trail plodder. Of course, the final say will be up to her.

Once you get in to the $1200-1300 territory that feels like full size dirt bike money to me. I mean, my Estart 520 exc was $1500 and it's a beast. I feel like $800 is about my personal cap for a mini trail plodder. Of course, the final say will be up to her.
Bt200x? Or ex...slight difference in seat heights.

We rode by Lowe's to check out the Axis. She liked it so I knabbed it. Gave it a quick once over back home and away she went. Much happier on this vs the other bike. You weren't kidding about the clutch slip and a bigger sprocket! That clutch has got to be struggling as it is.
IMG_20230610_151436584.jpg

I got a chuckle taking this picture. I literally paid twice as much for this bike as I did the truck 😂

Looks like a coleman with more seat height. Not bad! If needed you can cut the throttle stop screw or bend it. I bent the bracket for break in but it is back to stock. About 19mph top speed.

We rode by Lowe's to check out the Axis. She liked it so I knabbed it. Gave it a quick once over back home and away she went. Much happier on this vs the other bike. You weren't kidding about the clutch slip and a bigger sprocket! That clutch has got to be struggling as it is.
IMG_20230610_151436584.jpg

I got a chuckle taking this picture. I literally paid twice as much for this bike as I did the truck 😂
The clutch needs to be in lock up for heat control. I think lock up is around 8-9mph. But I have never fried a clutch. I just chill a min after the clutch gets warm. But if constant 6mph is needed a bigger sprocket or/and cvt would fix any worries. Stock sprocket is a 50. A 60 and 72 is available. 72 teeth would be beast mode with some minor tuning. And would climb anything. The clutch bushing needs a drop of oil every once in awhile depending on how much idling and slip time. Most owners eventually go with the cvt but I like the jackshaft chain setup.

The clutch needs to be in lock up for heat control. I think lock up is around 8-9mph. But I have never fried a clutch. I just chill a min after the clutch gets warm. But if constant 6mph is needed a bigger sprocket or/and cvt would fix any worries. Stock sprocket is a 50. A 60 and 72 is available. 72 teeth would be beast mode with some minor tuning. And would climb anything. The clutch bushing needs a drop of oil every once in awhile depending on how much idling and slip time. Most owners eventually go with the cvt but I like the jackshaft chain setup.
8-9 mph sounds about right. It's obvious when it locks up. The rattle guess away and it lurches forward. The soft lock up is perfect for her right now. Might change to something snappier later on if she asks for it.

Thanks for the heads up on oiling the clutch bushing. I'll look in to that.

8-9 mph sounds about right. It's obvious when it locks up. The rattle guess away and it lurches forward. The soft lock up is perfect for her right now. Might change to something snappier later on if she asks for it.

Thanks for the heads up on oiling the clutch bushing. I'll look in to that.
I just put a drop of oil near the snap ring and rock the clutch by hand. The grab rate is somewhat controlled by engine spin up. The last few years have a throttle limit screw in the linkage. This screw is welded in at full restriction. The motor will smooth out some and make more power. But out of the box might benefit from being derestricted. My wifes bike is back to completely stock and all original parts for 2 yrs use. The chains will need some attention. The rear chain will stretch some and need adjustment. We assemble ours and greased the axles and neck. Also flooded out the cables. Easiest bike ever to maintain. I like the tires at 5psi or less. If climbing or trail breaking the rear is about 3.5psi.

Slammed 3 coffees and I got a min to spare. It is coleman time. I might go get a bt200 today if one is in the box. I always hate thrashing bikes I give to the wife. Plus I am a coleman junky.

Hey Shinyribs..have you had the coleman smile yet...

I just pay for the toys and get called when they break, I don't get to use them 😁

Nah, kinda joking, but it's "hers" so I'm trying to stay off it. Everyone and their brother is wanting to come ride the thing, though.

"Gotta ask her. It ain't mine"

I just pay for the toys and get called when they break, I don't get to use them 😁

Nah, kinda joking, but it's "hers" so I'm trying to stay off it. Everyone and their brother is wanting to come ride the thing, though.

"Gotta ask her. It ain't mine"
Yup best to stay away...before you get stuck in the vortex. And start swapping motors in 15 mins. Or spend way too much time looking up engines, flywheels, deck height, valve spring shims....ect. Almost as much fun and safer watching the videos.

Well the roadking owning neighbor inquired about a tsc bike. For his kid. These can be detuned or made to valve float. My current coleman choice is the bt200x.

But even crazier the small bores rip...40mph with futzing. But when we maintained the trails the 99 and 105cc colemans ripped.. but lacked torque.

Really these bike are a gearing puzzle. But I enjoyed the small bore stuff the best. The 200 series colemans can ride up stuff that scares me on a tw! And a ct200ex is ripping wheelys off the crest of a 70° stepup.

I reccomend colemans for riders and tuners. Much like a machine from a hundred yrs ago..

We tried go pro helmet mounts ...ha looked like an earthquake on the trails

I worked on these bikes as a small engine repair side line gig. I picked up one to try out. Back Friday $600 special. B200R in the box. The paint and weld quality was nice. So was a steel braided brake line to a two pot caliper. The bike looks too nice to bury it like some of these posts. We might just use it for cruising around and nice dry trail riding. After purchasing, I realized new models are being released with cvt and rear suspension.

I really need to get some trail speeds and video Either I am a minibike rider or these bikes rock...sometimes.

I rode the gpx today and encountered tight turns, low limbs. narrow trees and soft ground.

The minibiker in me was laughing...ya dumbass I picked that line 2yrs ago to hang up any machine except a mini bike.

Here is another video.

I haven't bought a ghost engine. I am running 3 196, a non hemi 212, and 2 hemi. The hemi do make nice torque off idle. Parts selection can be overwhelming. Every builder has their own recipe.

I bounce back and forth on parts. Pvl 10k rpm rated flywheels are on sale for $30. That is cheap insurance. I have been using valve float as my rpm limiter on my 196 mod....spinning 5500rpm with cast iron flywheel!

Here is another video.

I haven't bought a ghost engine. I am running 3 196, a non hemi 212, and 2 hemi. The hemi do make nice torque off idle. Parts selection can be overwhelming. Every builder has their own recipe.

I bounce back and forth on parts. Pvl 10k rpm rated flywheels are on sale for $30. That is cheap insurance. I have been using valve float as my rpm limiter on my 196 mod....spinning 5500rpm with cast iron flywheel!

I’ve never heard of valve float as a limiter. :lol2 Does it just start missing when they float?

Top Bottom Back Refresh