What's new

Come one. Come all. We're gonna have a ball!

Soggy Biscuit

Member Number
I'm planning to hit up NASA's Wallops Flight Facility Visitor Center at Wallops Island, VA on Tuesday, for no other reason than just because. The facility isn't cool as the one in Huntsville, AL but this'll have to do. I might run along US13 out of Dover, DE or US113 from Milford, DE rest of the way down. Come along if ya can. The weather is supposed to be lovely! I plan to ride back home the same day. It's only a measly 178 or so miles away.

6hrs and 325 miles from here. Hmm...
200.gif

Only a half a day's ride.
Yeah buddy.

A few years ago I rode up to Pennsylvania with a few buddy's to watch racing and a with a storm blew in. We rode something like 16hrs nonstop to get home and not have to stop again. I haven't wanted to ride a long highway trip since.

Yeah buddy.

A few years ago I rode up to Pennsylvania with a few buddy's to watch racing and a with a storm blew in. We rode something like 16hrs nonstop to get home and not have to stop again. I haven't wanted to ride a long highway trip since.
81 fucking sucks at any given time. I hated it when I was a long haul trucker. I chose to hit it from 77 out of NC on my way home from GA a few months ago. I ducked off on to I-66 into DC just to get away from 81. Original plan was to run it to Carlisle, take exit 52, and hit the PA Turnpike for the remainder of the way. It changed when I was well beyond my tolerance limit on 81. VA really needs to widen that freeway to 4 lanes and aggressively enforce the left lane passing law. There are too many people who think they're the most important person on the road and shouldn't have to move over for anybody.

81 fucking sucks at any given time. I hated it when I was a long haul trucker. I chose to hit it from 77 out of NC on my way home from GA a few months ago. I ducked off on to I-66 into DC just to get away from 81. Original plan was to run it to Carlisle, take exit 52, and hit the PA Turnpike for the remainder of the way. It changed when I was well beyond my tolerance limit on 81. VA really needs to widen that freeway to 4 lanes and aggressively enforce the left lane passing law. There are too many people who think they're the most important person on the road and shouldn't have to move over for anybody.
Yeah, 81 is a hellhole. I'm surprised more people don't get killed there. I've traveled a fair amount of 81 and I swear the section around Salem -Roanoke is the worst. It's the only interstate I saw growing up. Once I started driving myself around and drove in other areas I realized how bad things were back at home.

81 isn't so bad north of Scranton, PA. It's a pretty good drive/ride up to Syracuse, NY.

I plan on arriving at my destination between 1000 and 1200. I might also go do some exploring around Chincoteague Island.

81 fucking sucks at any given time. I hated it when I was a long haul trucker.
We took 80 on our way home from a two week road trip. That was pretty bad. Just droned on and on and on.

Yeah buddy.

I took my DR for a 17h/700 mile ride into Canada and back. That was a day, heh.

I'm planning to hit up NASA's Wallops Flight Facility Visitor Center at Wallops Island, VA on Tuesday, for no other reason than just because. The facility isn't cool as the one in Huntsville, AL but this'll have to do. I might run along US13 out of Dover, DE or US113 from Milford, DE rest of the way down. Come along if ya can. The weather is supposed to be lovely! I plan to ride back home the same day. It's only a measly 178 or so miles away.

Big Balls by AC DC

That’s about 700 miles from here but someday I’ll have a bike I can cover some real ground with and consider these kinds of adventures. 👍🏻
My buddy rode his DRZ400 from Marquette, MI to the Mexican Border, turned north, rode the Continental Divide to Canada, and then back home to Michigan.

And you're worried about 700 miles?!?!? :scratch

It's all about tenacity.... :ricky

My buddy rode his DRZ400 from Marquette, MI to the Mexican Border, turned north, rode the Continental Divide to Canada, and then back home to Michigan.

And you're worried about 700 miles?!?!? :scratch

It's all about tenacity.... :ricky
That's a frickin' epic ride! The CDR is one ride I really hope to make someday. How long did it take him?

Wallops Island, VA could be done in 11 hours via freeways but becomes 17 hours without freeways. I don't know if Maps calculates that I'd have to stop every <2 hours for fuel so it's probably longer. A 3 day trip could possibly work. 5 day trips aren't as easy to come by. Unfortunately everyday isn’t a Saturday for me. :(:

My bike isn’t the most steady thing at speed either. There’s something about doing this for 34 hours that doesn’t seem like fun:

I've managed to knock that wobble down quite a bit by truing and balancing the front wheel but it's still there starting in the 70s.

I am planning a ~1,800 mile round trip ride in the next few months. The HR lady has granted me 7 days (I suspect that she would've given me more time if she wasn't going to miss me so much but that's another story). It's one visit I'm not going to miss so I don't give a shit if I have to ride 55 the whole way. I can ride 55 (if I have to!)... :D

I'm planning on taking the Lake Express to WI and I don't want to just back track the same route so we'll see how I feel on the return trip but I'd like to come back on US-2 to the bridge.

I went a couple years ago. I really expected more. Just a small museum and and outside viewing area. No standing rockets like Kennedy and you can’t get close enough to see the launch area.

Top Bottom Back Refresh