What's new

Diesel motorcycles.

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
Anything diesel KLRs enfields or any conversions . Talk discus plan share ideas build tech talk possible options and plans.

There are Rats and some not so ratty, plenty out there plenty of interest in diesel bikes. I have always liked Diesels have not had a Gas car or truck in years other than clasics and kit cars, i want to Diesel up a marlin kit i have and do like the idea of a bike. Truth is i think i am getting hooked just searching out links for the start of this thread. :lol2

Does this indicate that you’re gonna be building one? :D

Does this indicate that you’re gonna be building one? :D
Iminently? No, But in the mindset and gathering parts phase it just started about 20 mins ago.
Utilising a 1996 XJ900 diversion shaft drive frame with a log book, Fazer 9 forks etc and no engine decided on as yet, its got me thinking hard and its a pile of parts i need to do something with but just can not get motivated at all, Diesel has sparked motivation, i am on a mission now:lol2.

Iminently? No, But in the mindset and gathering parts phase it just started about 20 mins ago.
Utilising a 1996 XJ900 diversion shaft drive frame with a log book, Fazer 9 forks etc and no engine decided on as yet, its got me thinking hard and its a pile of parts i need to do something with but just can not get motivated at all, Diesel has sparked motivation, i am on a mission now:lol2.
I hope you do. It sounds like a fun project. And I can legitimately claim that I was there from the beginning. :lol2

The fact diesel engines offer so much frugality and range to a motorcycle with good torque characteristics and all with legendary reliability and longevity, i am suprised in the adventure bike sector especialy manufacturers have not taken up diesel long ago.
The green movements hatred of smokey diesel the particulate issues and the indusrys lack of imagination in dealing with these particulates so far mean right now is probably too late for diesel. but it is by no means guaranteed Diesel will die out anymore than electric will inherit the world so to speak.
Back on topic and moving swiftly away from environmental politics. We are where we are and re engineering petrol bikes to run on diesel or transplanting small diesels into existing registered bikes, which has real potential if the right choices are made to create a diesel powered motorcycle that could offer all the merits diesel offers and potentialy at low financial costs but probably expensive in time it must be said.
I believe a half tidy shed built diesel has real potential dare i say as a long range long lived Adventure tourer, i have long thought the VW 1422cc 3 cylinder TDI would be a great engine in a light kit car, its a little heavy for a bike engine perhaps but it is in effect a 1.9TDI with a cylinder sawn off and should be able to make a lighter bike but i dont like heavy bikes myself and a smaller lighter industrial diesel would be my choice i think, but you see kubota engines etc which will be similar weight to the 1422cc vwtdi so not sure, 80HP and lots of torque low down would be real world road speed proucers if you could get the weight low down perhaps the engine as a stressed member i think you might get a bike in the sub 600lb area sort of Stripped down XS1100 teritory not exactly light by any means but livable with if its a handler.

Look at some diesels that are basicly petrol converted diesels so to speak the engine components are often diferent heads etc but basically the same base engine.
Will some bike engines perhaps be strong enough to convert? Ok some major engine alterations might be needed for strength but in some cases perhaps not.
The general idea of a bike to diesel conversion here, not sure how reliable it will be long term but i am not sure in truth.
A shed built bike engine conversion. Might be an option for some rather than a transplant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh