What's new

Dirt bike boots. What holds up?

Shinyribs

Is my bike ok?
Member Number
I was pretty happy with these Alpinestars Tech 7's. Ankle pivot wasn't as good as I hoped and the toe box was softer than expected. Granted, they've been though the ringer and I haven't had any lower leg injuries wearing them, but i did fold the toe up enough a couple times that left me limping for a day or two.

For $275 I expected them to last more than a few years. Replacements are $430 now. That's too much for a boot that starts disintegrating like this. No crash caused this recently, just normal lumps and bumps.

IMG_20231125_131343698.jpg

IMG_20231125_131351065.jpg

What are you using and how long have they held up? I don't mind ponying up for expensive boots if they'll last.

Have the AS Tech 7s too. Good Boot for sure.

Then I tried on a set of the Gaerne Fastbacks and never went back to the Astars. Fastbacks have been durable for 3 seasons now IIRC.

Probably should list the Astars for sale

1701038697962.png

Last edited:
I also had problems with the Tech 7's. The leather on both boots right where the toe pivots tore after ~1.5 years of use, and the little liner things/splash guards/whatever they call them had a few holes also.

PXL_20230705_172421836.jpg

Seems like the toe cup presses into the leather when you bend the toe. And then I realized that the toe probably shouldn't be pivoting as much as it does.

I've heard great things about all the Gaerne boots, but the serviceability of the Sidi Crossfire 3 won me over. Plus I had a pair of their Adventure boots previously that had quite a few years of use, and the only problem was they eventually lost their waterproof layer. After a bit shy of a year of almost daily wear, the Crossfires are holding up extremely well, including walking around in them a good bit.

I wear Forma Terra boots. They hold up excellent. I'm on my second pair, only because the left boot started leaking after 5-6 years of heavy use.

Been using logging boots since the day I first swung a leg over a seat.

Held up to rain, mud, and a 65mph slide on pavement.

/shrug
Same!!!

For those saying their leather is cracking and falling apart. Water dries leather, and washes out all the natural oils, causing it to dry out crack and break down.

I would highly recommend putting this on your leather anything every few months. It was designed for Wild Land Firefighters, the extreme heat also dries leather out. This stuff add all the natural oils back to the leather and keeps it supple and looking good for years.

Top Bottom Back Refresh