What's new

Do You Have a Cut Off Year on the GS You Would buy?

cabanza

Member Number
I've had 2 R1150GS. I like the R1200GS and I think the new R1250GS is nice too. Having said that, if I were to buy another GS, it would have to be a 2012 or earlier version. It also goes the other way. While I would consider buying an R1100GS, I wouldn't buy anything older than a 1998.

Anyone else?

I loved my 95 R1100GS and put 87K miles on it. Today the only GS I would consider buying is the G310GS. Since it was introduced in 2016 it couldn't be any older than that. Most likely I would buy new.
You know, I've sat on a G310GS and I find the suspension to be on the stiff side. Now since you're mentioning the "little" GS, I have soft sport for the F650(GS) single cylinder. I've owned a bunch and I mean, a whole bunch. So I would include a 1999-2000 F650 in my original post. I have a soft spot for that model. My last little GS was a 2016 G650GS. It was a major disappointment. My bike suffered from the well known stalling issue. There was a recall on the bike at the time I bought it. I wouldn't buy anything that starts with "G" in it. The best F650GS are the 2005-2007 F650GS. They have the dual spark. The only downside is the riding position for me. Everything else is great on these little bikes.

I would get a 2011-2012 R1200GS. Modern, easy maintenance, very reliable, and super comfortable. Also, you can pick them up for a great price these days. Once you ride one you will totally see why I say this!
I have ridden a couple of R1200GS's. Great bikes but I no longer have any interest in buying anything that big and heavy. I decided many years ago that I wouldn't buy anything over 500 pounds. In the future I may drop that to 400 pounds.

You know, I've sat on a G310GS and I find the suspension to be on the stiff side. Now since you're mentioning the "little" GS, I have soft sport for the F650(GS) single cylinder. I've owned a bunch and I mean, a whole bunch. So I would include a 1999-2000 F650 in my original post. I have a soft spot for that model. My last little GS was a 2016 G650GS. It was a major disappointment. My bike suffered from the well known stalling issue. There was a recall on the bike at the time I bought it. I wouldn't buy anything that starts with "G" in it. The best F650GS are the 2005-2007 F650GS. They have the dual spark. The only downside is the riding position for me. Everything else is great on these little bikes.
I had the chance to ride an 1999 F650 GS. I liked it but wasn't in the market at the time. I also had the chance to ride one of the original F650 Funduro's before they were imported here. I can see why you liked those bikes. As for the G310GS, I have only sat on them but I have heard and read good reviews on them. I think they have just enough performance to ride on the interstate but are pretty light for an adventure bike. I considered getting one but ultimately decided on a KLX250. The GS would be better on the road but the KLX is a much better dirt bike.

I have ridden a couple of R1200GS's. Great bikes but I no longer have any interest in buying anything that big and heavy. I decided many years ago that I wouldn't buy anything over 500 pounds. In the future I may drop that to 400 pounds.
I say this all the time. Or it is twice my weight. I then bought a heavy gen3 klr. But have an r100. But I get spoiled by 120lb atv tire coleman on the trails. I use to think an xt225 was a light bike. My drz feels like a pig. And the gen3 is my gravelwing. Perception till the bike lands on top of you. I still have a vstar 1300 at 670lbs. I would hate to be stuck under that freaking thing. Ha lightest off road bike is well below a 100lbs. Still hurts like hell when it lands on me. I go for the eject button on heavy bikes.

I've had 2 R1150GS. I like the R1200GS and I think the new R1250GS is nice too. Having said that, if I were to buy another GS, it would have to be a 2012 or earlier version. It also goes the other way. While I would consider buying an R1100GS, I wouldn't buy anything older than a 1998.

Anyone else?
I owned a ‘12 1200GS. Loved it. Sad I sold it and right now contemplating another or a used Honda Africa Twin AS with the e-suspension.

My wife and I spent quite good times on AZ on street and dirtZ two-up its ESA suspension floated over cattle grates and such with east. Solo with ESA in sport it tightened up nicely. Ample power.

IMO the final drives in this generation were ironed out by ‘12. No issues and an honest 200-220 miles per tank with reserves left over.

Solid bike and I think these are about 8k or under. Lots of garage queens to choose from.

As of 2/26/23

2008 GS under 6000 miles, alum cases, accessories, $7500 probably go for $7

Last edited:
I’m on my second 1150, a 2002. First was a 2000. Before dual-spark and strange brakes. Both feel/felt perfect with upgraded seat & bars, and selected engine enhancements. I would buy another if I were looking for a replacement.

I had a 2009 and then later a 2017 (both purchased used) with a KTM in between. The '09 was fine and didn't give me any trouble, the '17 had issues with going into Limp-in mode and went back to the dealer multiple times under warranty with no resolution (each time a 300 mile round trip to drop it off, another to go fetch it). BMW would direct them to check/adjust "X" and give it back to me to wait for it to happen again or to be fixed. Dealer said they had seen a few with many of the same symptoms but updating the ECU had cured them all. After it finally went into Limp-in mode while trying to merge into heavy (and fast) traffic I decided I was done with it. I always suspected a wiring harness issue.

It's not only BMW, all the manufacturers are trying to cut weight anywhere they can. A wiring harness has to be as light as possible but still be robust enough to handle weather and heat cycles, etc. EFI is great, ABS is too...but much of the rest I'd trade away due to the added complexity and limited benefit. Keyless ride, wonder wheel, etc. are nothing but fluff that adds to potential problems in my opinion.

So I guess I'm also saying I wouldn't be interested in anything newer than 2012 either. Never considered myself a Luddite, but here we are.

I have 1999 r1150gs (my second) and also a 2022 model r150gsa plus a 2018 model ktm 1090 adventure s , I have also owned a late r1200gsa hexhead and two r1200gsa lc models .

If I could only have one bike for general use and touring it would be a late model r1200gsa hexhead without ESA and ABS, decent performance ,no real vices, good reliability and not too complex

Since I am a newer BMW convert my entry was on a 2007 LT Brick. I loved that pig in lipstick. Then a 15 RT. Great bike. Hated the shifting but again loved it. Friend totals his bike, I go with him to bike shop. I sit a 17.5 GS Low and it was over.

I wanted to trade up to at least a 17 for the drive shaft and transmission update. Just was not planning on it so soon.

It is all I wanted and all I expected. The shifting is very much improved from my 15 RT. Very much! Now maybe I had a "bad" 15 RT but I do not think so. If they ever make a BMW that snicks into 1st like a Japanese bike I would go for that. But until then my advice is buy a 17 or better model year as the drive line update is worth it.

Maybe the GS 1300 will snick?

1980. i like the GS1100Es But a 1980 GS1000 is a sweet bike. just sayin.

67d18cfb721db46d1b1ded14054a7a03.jpg

I'm always on the lookout for a 98-99 R1100GS. I'd also be interested in a camhead GS, but once you get to the key fob and electronic suspension era I'll pass.

Top Bottom Back Refresh