What's new

Do You Have “Riding Rules”?

DJ_MI

Class Clown
Member Number
They could be “blanket” rules like ATGATT or more situational “If-Then” type rules.

A few of mine:
“IF a deer runs across the road THEN stop looking at him and start looking for his buddies that are very possibly about to follow him into the road”

When I’m riding anywhere that fuel is not readily available I “Don’t pass on gas”.

When I get to those dry, granular sections of trail “you gotta stand in the sand”.

When I start getting bogged down in a gnarly section “when in doubt paddle out!” :lol2

Let’s hear your riding rules! They don’t have to rhyme but it’s a bonus if they do! :D

Open palmed when about to cross an intersection.

This applies for four wheels and two, but not a single drop of alcohol if I know I'll be driving at any further point in the day. I also won't drink if my wife or child are at a different location from where I am.

Helmet at all times.

1/2 tank = empty. Gas up at the next station.

Avoid mud/water at all times on the trail. I'm too old for this shit.

Mine is pretty simple:

PA220106 (2).JPG

Back in my flying days I was taught that most accidents are the result of a series of small problems combining to create the disaster. Before I go for a ride I do a quick assessment to see whether I'm faced with a series of little problems that could add to up to an unacceptable risk. Am I tired, did I check the tires, is the weather poor, am I in a rush, am I headed into commute traffic, are the road conditions poor, am I riding a Harley, etc...one factor by itself might be okay, but if a few exist then I think twice about a ride.

Last edited:
Back in my flying days I was taught that most accidents are the result of a series of small problems combining to create the disaster. Before I go for a ride I do a quick assessment to see whether I'm faced with a series of little problems that could add to up to an unacceptable risk. Am I tired, did I check the tires, is the weather poor, am I in a rush, am I headed into commute traffic, are the road conditions poor, am I riding a Harley, etc...one factor by itself might be okay, but if a few exist then then I think twice about a ride.
I studied accident prevention in school and that is sound advice. 👍

I have a few not yet mentioned.

1. When riding in a group:
    1. Keep the group under 6
    2. Ride to the level of the slowest/least experienced rider.
    3. Keep that rider at the back so if he screws up he doesn't take out another rider
    4. At stop signs make sure the last rider is there before moving on.
    5. Have prearranged stops in mind so no one is left behind if the group gets separated.
    6. Never start a ride until everyone has a full tank of gas
    7. Schedule stops at least every 100 miles for gas and bio breaks.
  2. When passing, make sure you leave room for others to pass and get back in the riding lane.
  3. Check the weather and gear up appropriately.
  4. If I am not feeling it, I do not ride.
  5. Don't be an idiot. Hardest one to do for me.

Quick reaction to clutch/brake for when that moron is paying more attention on one of the screens on the dashboard instead of their surroundings.
Makes sense. Thanks 👍

They could be “blanket” rules like ATGATT or more situational “If-Then” type rules.

A few of mine:
“IF a deer runs across the road THEN stop looking at him and start looking for his buddies that are very possibly about to follow him into the road”

When I’m riding anywhere that fuel is not readily available I “Don’t pass on gas”.

When I get to those dry, granular sections of trail “you gotta stand in the sand”.

When I start getting bogged down in a gnarly section “when in doubt paddle out!” :lol2

Let’s hear your riding rules! They don’t have to rhyme but it’s a bonus if they do! :D
Basic stuff, should be in your muscle memory.
  • Cross logs at right angles as much as possible :D
  • On remote rides in unk areas fuel up when you can, in other better known areas know you range and fuel accordingly.
  • Rely on your skills and experience (if you have them), they will serve you far better than hard and fast rules because there's exceptions to almost every one of them.
- The most important one is don't be "that guy".

"That guy" covers allot and it's likely most of us have been "that guy" once or twice and/or know a few.
On remote rides operate in your skill level. It's not the time or place to be cool or impress your buddies.
Don't get caught out with a failure that would have been easily detected with an inspection prior to the start of the ride.
Carry the basic repair items, don't rely on someone else for this unless it's been arranged beforehand.
If you get seperated go back to the last place you know of where everyone was together, try and keep up.
If at all possible, don't be the reason everyone is heading back to the truck or going home early.
Know your limits.

Wheelies are mandatory. The ride's not complete ( or begun) until at least one tire has left the ground.

Try the hillclimb. You're gonna regret it later if you don't.

Toes on the pegs.

Avoid traffic/other vehicles like the plague and fuck deer and big jumps. Those things will kill you. Everything else is just a scratched bike. 😁

Toes in and up in the woods.

Fast food and grocery lot intersections... 10mph under if idiots are around and preload the brakes

Always one finger on the brake and clutch

Take a few laps or 30 mins before ripping

Know the trail...it doesn't hurt to walk it and kick sticks out the way

Snow and loose gravel..let the front wheel find home! Ha it won't but don't make it

Sit as far back to paddle out when stuck

Cleaning a bike will find more issues than looking for problems

Always keep all controls lubed after weather or cleaning

Never use brake kleene on any brake friction surface. Only dish soap

Never ever kick a kickstand up where it smacks. Just follow it with your foot

Ride as many diverse bikes in all conditions. Some ujms can adv better than tall modern adv equipment.

Double and triple check your repairs or maintenance.

Jeez have about a 1000 more.

Including mold release or wrapped tires. Woo-hoo on this one. If I am smart I air down and scrub in doing foot down figure eights on the roughest parking lot.

I don't really have rules, just guidelines. For group rides I give a ride brief at before the ride.

Ride your own ride.

Regroup at turns.

That's about it. I usually talk a bit about the route and the lunch stop. I don't have limits on group size except when at a rally with a lot of riders, then I sometimes limit my group to 10. I led group rides the last 2 weekends. The street ride had 11 riders and the dual sport ride had 8. We had no issues on either ride, just some fun rides. I tend to stop more than a lot of ride leaders I have followed. I like to make the first stop about a hour out because people tend to have to pee by then. Other stops are often made for scenic spots and for lunch. I don't try to cover huge miles on group rides. Typically my group rides are between 100 and 200 miles. Add in everyone's ride to and from the ride and everyone has a pretty full day. For longer rides I am normally riding solo or with one or two friends.

Toes in and up in the woods.

Fast food and grocery lot intersections... 10mph under if idiots are around and preload the brakes

Always one finger on the brake and clutch

Take a few laps or 30 mins before ripping

Know the trail...it doesn't hurt to walk it and kick sticks out the way

Snow and loose gravel..let the front wheel find home! Ha it won't but don't make it

Sit as far back to paddle out when stuck

Cleaning a bike will find more issues than looking for problems

Always keep all controls lubed after weather or cleaning

Never use brake kleene on any brake friction surface. Only dish soap

Never ever kick a kickstand up where it smacks. Just follow it with your foot

Ride as many diverse bikes in all conditions. Some ujms can adv better than tall modern adv equipment.

Double and triple check your repairs or maintenance.

Jeez have about a 1000 more.

Including mold release or wrapped tires. Woo-hoo on this one. If I am smart I air down and scrub in doing foot down figure eights on the roughest parking lot.
Nice! You hit on some good ones.

I don't really have rules, just guidelines. For group rides I give a ride brief at before the ride.

Ride your own ride.

Regroup at turns.

That's about it. I usually talk a bit about the route and the lunch stop. I don't have limits on group size except when at a rally with a lot of riders, then I sometimes limit my group to 10. I led group rides the last 2 weekends. The street ride had 11 riders and the dual sport ride had 8. We had no issues on either ride, just some fun rides. I tend to stop more than a lot of ride leaders I have followed. I like to make the first stop about a hour out because people tend to have to pee by then. Other stops are often made for scenic spots and for lunch. I don't try to cover huge miles on group rides. Typically my group rides are between 100 and 200 miles. Add in everyone's ride to and from the ride and everyone has a pretty full day. For longer rides I am normally riding solo or with one or two friends.
One trick I use along those lines is on group rides where we're spread out, when the leader comes to a trail junction or a T, make some distinctive wheel spin tracks as you turn in the direction the route takes, if the rest do it all the better. It's not always possible depending on the surface conditions but if they're favorable and the others know to look for it, the group's direction is obvious. We've transversed quite a few miles that way out in Utah with only the lead guy following the track on a GPS (me). Sometimes we were spread out miles apart and it was significant periods of time between regroups.

One trick I use along those lines is on group rides where we're spread out, when the leader comes to a trail junction or a T, make some distinctive wheel spin tracks as you turn in the direction the route takes, if the rest do it all the better. It's not always possible depending on the surface conditions but if they're favorable and the others know to look for it, the group's direction is obvious. We've transversed quite a few miles that way out in Utah with only the lead guy following the track on a GPS (me). Sometimes we were spread out miles apart and it was significant periods of time between regroups.
Here in the Eastern US the distance between turns is generally not that far so we don't get that spread out. If we don't all stop at turns we tell everyone to at least wait until the person behind them catches up and that person waits for the next until the last rider who obviously doesn't have to wait.

Top Bottom Back Refresh