What's new

Engine Ice FYI

Shinyribs

Is my bike ok?
Member Number
I had this stuff in my dirt bike l[UWSL]ast year. Supposed to be the best stuff ever and all the cool kids online SWEAR their bike runs soo much cooler with it. Temps dropped in to the teens and my bike froze up sitting in the shop. No harm done, just pushed a hose off and left a puddle in the floor. Luckily, no cracked engine or busted radiators.[/UWSL]

Contact Engine Ice..." Sorry, it's not possible. Must've been somebody else's stuff". I got your contact info off the jug I'm looking at. "Don't believe you....sorry". Not worth a fight, I let it go.

I asked my buddy that put it in there if he maybe diluted it too much. Nope. It's sold premix. He poured it in straight.

Engine Ice gets brought up on another forum and I mention my experience with it. Another guy does some digging in their MSDS sheets. The range of propylene glycol in their jugs can vary anywhere from 25-95%. At 25% prop glycol your freeze point is gonna be around 15°, where my bike froze up.

See, I assumed Engine Ice's mixing machine must've been out of whack and they'd want a batch number off the jug or something before customers bikes start freezing up and they've got an epidemic of busted cases on their hands. But at 25% they already knew.

And now we know, too

Last edited:
Bizarre. Aside from the efficacy of the product, you'd think a business would want to control their costs better.

There's also the overall question marks about the physics of their claims. Reduces turbulence to get better flow through the radiator, right? Let's say that all worked perfectly, so now you're pumping coolant through the radiator at 10% higher rate. That's 10% less residence time in the radiator. So, you get less temperature delta between radiator inlet and outlet, with more mass flow through it. None of that increases the heat transfer of the radiator. On a car, would someone fix a cooling problem by slightly oversizing their water pump? Or would they upsize their fan and/or radiator?

Skimping on ingredients is controlling costs.
True. I guess they could use the 25-95% variation as cynically as possible, never actually approaching the 95% concentration. I don't know about this product, but running other coolants at that high of concentration usually isn't a good idea.

A bit different stuff but I when I last time changed coolant on my SE i did add Motul Motocool stuff into it. Mixture is that ypu use normal glucol mix and add this 5%. I didn`t notise any difference. Best effect is to keep radiator clean and make sure fan is working properly. In theory I get the idea, if liquids surface tension is lower it would help heat transfer.

Remember that higher glycol mix -> lower heat transfer capacity. Somewehere I have studied that ideal mix would be around 30%. Be sure it has low enaugh freezing point in dedicated use.

Top Bottom Back Refresh