What's new

Golf

JimVonBaden

Kool Aid!
Member Number
Who golfs and where are your favorite courses?

I took up golf, again, about 6 months ago, and we golf on the local Fairfax County courses, mainly because it is cheap. I'm wanting to find other courses, mostly in the Mid-Atlantic, but we travel too.

20231022_120412.jpg

I've golfed irregularly since high school. I still have the same crappy clubs, same crappy swing, and now annoying golfer's elbow. I'd like to brag that I've played the notable Bay Area and Monterey courses but it's hard to swallow $600 greens fees at places like Pebble Beach given my skill set, so my usual courses have been the marginal public courses. What I lack is a willingness to spend $$ on new clubs and a commitment to practice, which might entice me to play nicer courses. It's not that I'm totally uninterested. I went to the Safeway Open a few years ago and had a blast watching Steph Curry play (he's quite a good golfer).

I've golfed irregularly since high school. I still have the same crappy clubs, same crappy swing, and now annoying golfer's elbow. I'd like to brag that I've played the notable Bay Area and Monterey courses but it's hard to swallow $600 greens fees at places like Pebble Beach given my skill set, so my usual courses have been the marginal public courses. What I lack is a willingness to spend $$ on new clubs and a commitment to practice, which might entice me to play nicer courses. It's not that I'm totally uninterested. I went to the Safeway Open a few years ago and had a blast watching Steph Curry play (he's quite a good golfer).
I golfed in the military back in the mid 80's, and took it back up 6 months ago. I golf nearly every weekend at our local courses at $22-32 a round. I also have a membership at our local range, Rudy's, like Top Golf, and practice a couple of times a week for 2-3 hours. My wife and I have become obsessed.

Unfortunately, I will be off for the next 12 weeks due to both knee replacements, 6 weeks apart. First surgery tomorrow. SO, I will be living vicariously through others, TV and YouTube. :-(

I golfed in the military back in the mid 80's, and took it back up 6 months ago. I golf nearly every weekend at our local courses at $22-32 a round. I also have a membership at our local range, Rudy's, like Top Golf, and practice a couple of times a week for 2-3 hours. My wife and I have become obsessed.

Unfortunately, I will be off for the next 12 weeks due to both knee replacements, 6 weeks apart. First surgery tomorrow. SO, I will be living vicariously through others, TV and YouTube. :-(
Good luck with your surgeries! Wishing you a speedy recovery. 👍

I haven't golfed in about 15 years. My golf partners were some of my good friends from high school, good guys but they were maniacs. I legit thought we could get arrested the last time I golfed with them. They flipped a cart over and it tore one of the battery cables off. One guy actually reattached it with the tab from a beer can. Then they broke another cart and we had to abandon it on the course. I went straight to my car and bailed. Never golfed since.

I was never any good but if I got a few good hits in a round I was happy. I still remember a chip shot over the bunker and onto the green from 20 years ago. Routine for most but the sound and feel of the hit and then watching the ball loft up and over the sand and land on the green was very satisfying. Someday I'll get back out there.

Top Bottom Back Refresh