What's new

Got an itch for another bike,

woods

Yawp.
Mod
ADV+
Member Number
and I have no idea what.

Right now its a GSX650F and the DR650 in the garage. Both are setup as far as I'd like to get them. The GSX does get a little tight in the knees after two hours. The DR is fully setup for international travel. That's been my staple since I got it. There's also the Honda Shadow VT700C, but that is a fixxer upper that I'm looking to sell once its together.

Cousins bought a place nearby and they're into the smaller cc bikes. KTM 500, CRF 450(?) and the WR250R. As much as I do miss having a 250 to rip around on, I'm not into the rugged stuff. Dirt roads and some minor stuff, fine. water crossings, hill climbs, and rocks I'm over with. I get hung up on mileage- full day rides I shoot for at least 250+ miles. So as far as that goes, I feel like the DR will have to do, and I'll skip on the tougher stuff and I'm fine with that. I keep checking out 250s for sale, even asked about taller bikes that will fit me here, but honestly I just don't see myself enjoying it.

So what I did do was make the mistake of sitting on an older Fat Bob 96. Never pinned myself for buying a Harley, but man at 6'4" that bike fit me perfectly. And that's the trouble I'm getting into; my height. I really want to avoid having to drop another $1000 on ergos to get the bike to fit me. As far as the Harley goes, it was a pretty basic machine for $8000. 20k+ miles and 14 years old. So I am looking for alternatives. There's a Suzuki C90 for sale. $8k, but its a 2015, 9k miles, luggage, and looks great. Wouldn't mind something closer to the $5k mark, but it doesn't look bad.

There any other bikes, more-so cruisers, to check out that should fit me decently from the get go?

While I'm not your height, 5'11", I put 20k miles on a M109R and enjoyed all of them. That bike handled N.Ga twisties better than it had a right to, fat tire and all. My only complaint was the foot forward ridding ergos that worked on my low back after a day or so in the saddle. But I've had a life time of low back injuries so YMMV. That was my one and only cruiser experience.

Unless your set on cruisers don't overlook big standards like the B-King, ZRX1100/1200 and others along those lines.

While I'm not your height, 5'11", I put 20k miles on a M109R and enjoyed all of them. That bike handled N.Ga twisties better than it had a right to, fat tire and all. My only complaint was the foot forward ridding ergos that worked on my low back after a day or so in the saddle. But I've had a life time of low back injuries so YMMV. That was my one and only cruiser experience.

Unless your set on cruisers don't overlook big standards like the B-King, ZRX1100/1200 and others along those lines.
That's the problem I have, seat and peg height are key to my being able to ride for any length of time without more than a little discomfort. I'm 6'1" and not long ago sold a VF1100S (V65 Sabre) that I really liked but could no longer tolerate the lower seat and higher pegs.

jjhjh.jpg

hdfhhdf.jpg

9200 miles
asking $8000.

hrm.

and I have no idea what.

Right now its a GSX650F and the DR650 in the garage. Both are setup as far as I'd like to get them. The GSX does get a little tight in the knees after two hours. The DR is fully setup for international travel. That's been my staple since I got it. There's also the Honda Shadow VT700C, but that is a fixxer upper that I'm looking to sell once its together.

Cousins bought a place nearby and they're into the smaller cc bikes. KTM 500, CRF 450(?) and the WR250R. As much as I do miss having a 250 to rip around on, I'm not into the rugged stuff. Dirt roads and some minor stuff, fine. water crossings, hill climbs, and rocks I'm over with. I get hung up on mileage- full day rides I shoot for at least 250+ miles. So as far as that goes, I feel like the DR will have to do, and I'll skip on the tougher stuff and I'm fine with that. I keep checking out 250s for sale, even asked about taller bikes that will fit me here, but honestly I just don't see myself enjoying it.

So what I did do was make the mistake of sitting on an older Fat Bob 96. Never pinned myself for buying a Harley, but man at 6'4" that bike fit me perfectly. And that's the trouble I'm getting into; my height. I really want to avoid having to drop another $1000 on ergos to get the bike to fit me. As far as the Harley goes, it was a pretty basic machine for $8000. 20k+ miles and 14 years old. So I am looking for alternatives. There's a Suzuki C90 for sale. $8k, but its a 2015, 9k miles, luggage, and looks great. Wouldn't mind something closer to the $5k mark, but it doesn't look bad.

There any other bikes, more-so cruisers, to check out that should fit me decently from the get go?

Have you ridden the Ducati cruiser? I got some seat time on one at a MotoAmerica event (factory demo ride), and was shocked at the power. I haven't ridden a lot of truly fast bikes, so I guess am impressed with 156 hp on a cruiser. In the area around the race track (fairly well patrolled) I never did find the limits of it. I later rented a Multistrada with the same engine, and enjoyed it as well. I did get to push that one to the limit. :evil

1645130274755.png

ehhhhh, that thing is a bit goofy. too modern looking.

An older V-Maxx was something I'd consider, but I guess the ergos aren't good for tall folk. I'm going to try to organize a time to check out the C90 above.

and I have no idea what.

You really need a BMW GS boxer. It's the best tall guy bike that I know of, I have nearly 100k miles on my '07 GSA and it still brings a smile to my face every time I mount her. (ok, that was a little weird)

1645130858947.png

Oh and by the way, I'm 5'-17" and the chauffeur for my wife on her '98 Electra Glide. She loves the Harley and won't part with it so that is what we ride when go 2-up.

I tend to make everything around me look small and here I am last summer with my wife's Harley.
1645131118220.png

I'd do a v-strom before a bmw. just not my cup of tea. I'm stuck on a cruiser. no idea why. I've really only had one, and it was a good fit for me. I feel like if I had something that fit right, I'd be set.

I rented an Indian Scout Bobber that was a great mid sized cruiser. I think it was 550 to 600 lbs. The guy who owned it was about 6'4". I thought it fit me pretty well (I'm 5'10"), so I'm not sure how he fit on it. Maybe the medium rise ape hangers gave him more room. The bike was very well put together. Perfect fueling, decent suspension, and excellent fit and finish. 100 horsepower, which is more than typical for this segment.

1645131757291.png

If that one isn't big enough, I would certainly look at the other Indian offerings. The FTR is a little smaller/sportier, but maybe the next size up Chief Bobber.

1645132254443.png

Attachments

• 1645132171002.png
    1645132171002.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Scout was up there. I have sit on them, too tall. Forward extensions were an absolute need. I guess the Chief would fit me better. Never sat on one, but its out of my price range. I guess they're still new too, so not many used on the market just yet.

Top Bottom Back Refresh