What's new

Honda CRF300L and Rally with Low Suspension

IMG_6992.jpeg
IMG_6991.jpeg

It’s finally here!!! It’s absurdly hot, but my wife rode it a few miles and liked it, so I rode it the 20 miles or so home. It can hit 75 with my fat butt on it. And the seat height is legitimately short.

That's a very good looking bike with proper looking chassis components. No cheap forks or swingarm made from squashed tubing. I like that a lot!

My wife put about 50 miles on it today, and she’s giddy. That XT250 is a great little bike, and this is that but about 25% better in key categories. It has the same final drive gearing as my 450L (60mph in 6th gear equals ~6k rpm), so it’s fairly comfortable at 2-lane speeds. It can putt around at 5mph with zero clutch input, and the clutch lever is pretty shockingly light.

It’s very easy to shift, and easy to find neutral on. I didn’t really haul on the brakes to see how they felt, but they weren’t obviously bad.

Oh, and this sounds dumb, but the gauge cluster is excellent. Gear indicator, tach, fuel gauge, fuel consumed indicator, and an over-rev light. Even individual blinker indicators up there, which is a surprising luxury in the dual-sport world.

And the factory tires are not useless (looking). The front is roughly the same tread pattern as a Tusk DS, and the rear looks like a watered-down Tusk DS. I assumed I’d be doing what I did on the 450L, putting a Motoz (from MVI, naturally) up front with a Tusk rear. Instead, I can leave them alone for now. We’ve only been in hardpacked dirt so far, so we haven’t really tried them out, but they look the part.

I need to put more preload on the rear shock (dealer delivered it at full soft), and do something about the very dim halogen headlight. Oh, and my buddy has a tail tidy for it, so of course that will go on. And need to order a skid plate, swap the hand guards over from the XT, and put some soft 714 handgrips on it. And I’ll swap the antigravity battery off the XT into it. After that, we’ll see what it needs next.

Anyone looking for a 2020 XT250?

Top Bottom Back Refresh