What's new

Honda PCX

My wife has a 2021 PCX (which I ride some as well) and we both love it. I have seen 69 mph on the speedo once but 68 mph several times. It's no faster than the 2013 she had. The 2016 model was slower than both the 2013 and 2021. I'm not sure what the gas mileage is. I gassed it up once but I think the dealer hadn't filled it up to the top because my gas mileage would come out to 65 mpg. The next tank will tell me more. I ride it on the highways here in Houston and it's just fine. It can hold 60 mph in all situations and I can zip in between when the traffic gets really dense. There is a scratch (from a rock?) on the plastic airbox on the swingarm. I went and priced the part at the dealer last Saturday. 2 highways and some city streets. No issues whatsoever. Plastics are dirt cheap to replace on a PCX by the way.
The plastics are crazy cheap. The 15 I bought was a theft recovery, replaced most all the plastic for 350. The replacement parts had amazing paint and overall finish.:evil

I ran out of gas on the highway this morning.

I don't know how but the latch from the glove compartment fell out. I ordered the part and went to pick it up this morning. It snapped right on (may that's why I lost it the first place?). The fuel light came on and with 17 miles to go home (20 to make it to Costco), I decided to take the highway. I may have been less than 5 miles away from Costco when the PCX started jerking. I was able to exit and while I came to a stop, the PCX stalled. I had to push it quite a bit. There were no gas stations in the area where I was. When I gassed up, I put 2.1 gallons. At least, I know the size of the tank is correct. The PCX started right up and brought me back home. The odometer showed 172.1 miles which comes out to just about 82 mpg. That's low for a PCX. That's also what the onboard computer showed so my average matched what the bike read.

It's disappointing. This is the 3rd PCX we have owned and it has the worst mpg by far. It only has 300 miles so the mpg will get better but it still won't match the other PCX's mpg we were getting. Anyone else shows low mpg for the 2021 model?

Another fuel up on the 2021 PCX. 83 mpg. Wow. I just can't believe how low the mpg is. I'm a good 10 mpg less than the the 2016 I had. Anyone else has a 2021 or 2022 model?

Another fuel up on the 2021 PCX. 83 mpg. Wow. I just can't believe how low the mpg is. I'm a good 10 mpg less than the the 2016 I had. Anyone else has a 2021 or 2022 model?
Are you riding it differently than your previous PCX's? I have found that how fast you ride a small scooter makes a huge difference in MPG. My Like 150i normally gets around 70MPG. Slow down a bit and it's 80-85MPG. When I took it to Ohio where speed limits were really low I got 100MPG.

Are you riding it differently than your previous PCX's? I have found that how fast you ride a small scooter makes a huge difference in MPG. My Like 150i normally gets around 70MPG. Slow down a bit and it's 80-85MPG. When I took it to Ohio where speed limits were really low I got 100MPG.
Not really. I have more stop and go because I leave in the inner city but I also don't go quite as fast either. My wife is literally half my weight and she's been riding it as well (it's hers anyway). She's always got 100-102 mpg on her 2013 and 2016. I'm really surprised is all I can say. It has a new 157 cc engine and that's the only explanation I have.

Not really. I have more stop and go because I leave in the inner city but I also don't go quite as fast either. My wife is literally half my weight and she's been riding it as well (it's hers anyway). She's always got 100-102 mpg on her 2013 and 2016. I'm really surprised is all I can say. It has a new 157 cc engine and that's the only explanation I have.

The compression ratio is higher on the new engine PCX, and am I understanding correctly that it now calls for premium gas? That would be a double punch compared to the earlier PCXes. 85 mpg would be good if you hadn't seen the 100+mpg of the earlier models.

Before getting those PCXes in 2013, I thought those claims of 100 mpg were wishful thinking... while I don't weigh twice what my wife weighs, i have her by a pound or 50... I consistently got 100 mpg; she was disappointed if she didn't get more than 110 mpg.

The compression ratio is higher on the new engine PCX, and am I understanding correctly that it now calls for premium gas? That would be a double punch compared to the earlier PCXes. 85 mpg would be good if you hadn't seen the 100+mpg of the earlier models.

Before getting those PCXes in 2013, I thought those claims of 100 mpg were wishful thinking... while I don't weigh twice what my wife weighs, i have her by a pound or 50... I consistently got 100 mpg; she was disappointed if she didn't get more than 110 mpg.
I checked the manual and Honda says the PCX uses 86 or higher octane so regular gas is just fine.

I have solved the gas mileage issue!

The low mpg I (we) have gotten comes from the constant stop and go of inner city. We rarely ride more than 5 miles at a time and we often find ourselves waiting at long stop lights. I gassed up on Sunday morning and took the PCX to a doctor's appointment the next day. It was about 10 miles one way with few traffic lights and highway riding on the loop. I never got over 60 mpg and never got stuck in traffic or waited at the light. The onboard computer showed 94 mpg. Since then, I've taken it to the store or we've ridden two up to go grab a bite. The overall gas mileage went down to 90 mpg. I actually saw the gas mileage go down to 89.7 after being stuck at 3 long lights to see it go back up to 90.2 while riding at 35-40 mph. Ha!

We lived in San Antonio when we owned the previous 2 PCXs. The flow of traffic is much better over there. People also travel farther with fewer stops in between. I always saw low 90s and my wife even got 100 mpg.

What's amazing is how much of an impact the dense traffic and the long stop lights play on the gas mileage. I really think most of it is due to long stop lights which can last as much as 2 minutes. We had a Zoomer X that had the stop/ start system and we never noticed much because the engine stalled at the light and therefore burned less gas.

Cool scoot, popular in SE Asia because it's made in the region. Thailand has an enormous import tax on cars/bikes not manufactured in the country, so the PSX is almost everywhere.

Last edited:
My first service is almost due. I checked the owner's manual and for the 2021 and up model, the initial service is just an oil change (oil and filter). Nothing else. Valves had to be inspected on the previous models. Not on the new one. Yay!

Gassed up this morning. Gas mileage was up at 90 mpg.

We went and grabbed lunch. I think I found the only shaded area. While technically not a parking spot, it was the only place under a tree.

FU_YV8tX0AUKUfn?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

We went to watch Jurassic World (Meh!) and parked in the shade near the entrance. Can't beat a scooter.

FVAiWXmXsAMlSs0?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Most of the trees around here are palm trees, which don't give that much shade. And if you do find some shade under a tree where you can park, it's almost a sure bet that when you come back to it, your conveyance (car, motorcycle, or scooter) will be "decorated" with bird crap.

I know what you mean about trees but with weather in the upper 90s in Houston, any kind of shade is nice so that the seat doesn't burn your butt. I've been parking as close to walls as much as possible.

The weather is well ahead of schedule this year. It's hot. San Antonio reached 107 yesterday and they've already had about 20 days of 100 degrees. The drought and the heat will probably booster the hurricane season. We haven't had a hurricane in 5 years in Houston. I wouldn't be surprised we see one hit the Texas coast later this summer.

CoolAss seat covers went out of business, but you can still find them on Amazon or eBay. It will keep you from burning your butt.

The Gulf of Mexico is warmer than usual again - a bad sign for hurricane season. Interestingly enough, we had two days of heavy rain a couple weeks ago that moved most of deep south Texas out of that drought designation. But, yes, it has been warmer, earlier here, too. We have had a couple near misses the last few years; our last direct hit was in 2008 (Hurricane Dolly). We'll be heading north soon - put away everything outside, put down the hurricane shutters, and hope for the best.

The problem isn't just the wind, it's what's in the wind - anything left outside when a whirly-girl blows in becomes a missile. Then, because so much here is at or below sea level: the storm surge. We are built on "the high point" on our island: 7 feet above msl.

Hoping Mother Nature goes easy on us all this summer.

Due to scheduling, I wasn't able to get the first service done on the PCX. It's finally taken care of. I have it done at the dealership. I always do the servicing at the dealership. There's a good Honda dealer about 15-20 miles from where I live. They are locally owned. That's where I bought my Trail 125 and the PCX. Pricing was honest on both so I figure they have earned my business. Service manager is ex military and is a great guy to talk to.

Gas mileage has vastly improved over the last month. May be the PCX needed some miles? I don't know. But we have gone from the low 80s to the low to mid 90s. That's much better!

FWBc9GhX0AALjFm?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Due to scheduling, I wasn't able to get the first service done on the PCX. It's finally taken care of. I have it done at the dealership. I always do the servicing at the dealership. There's a good Honda dealer about 15-20 miles from where I live. They are locally owned. That's where I bought my Trail 125 and the PCX. Pricing was honest on both so I figure they have earned my business. Service manager is ex military and is a great guy to talk to.

Gas mileage has vastly improved over the last month. May be the PCX needed some miles? I don't know. But we have gone from the low 80s to the low to mid 90s. That's much better!

FWBc9GhX0AALjFm?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
Fuel economy usually creeps up over time up as the new engine runs in.

I took the PCX in this morning. Something weird happen during deceleration and I felt that the engine was surging. Dealer looked it over and told me they checked the spark plug, pump, and belt. Nothing. Thing is, when I got it back, the surging was gone. So whatever they didn't do worked.

The dealer I go to is 23 miles from my home. I gassed up right before I hopped on the highway. I rode a sustained 60-62 mph with some head wind for 17 miles. Computer indicated a 68.5 mpg. I thought that was pretty good. Gas mileage calculated at the pump was 88 mpg but I did overfill a bit so it's closer to the 91-92 I usually get. We often ride it 2 up and I commute on it (along with my Trail 125).

Top Bottom Back Refresh