What's new

Hydration packs

Gravelcruiser

Member Number
Seeing what you guys use, are using, or have used. I usually don't like to wear em, but maybe some of the newer, more expensiver, one are better?

I have an older Klim Nac Pak, which was way overkill for what I actually needed. I ended up cutting off the tool bag to slim it down and lighten it up. It has been great ever since. But it was rather expensive given that what I ended up with was basically no different than a cheaper camelback or equivalent.

I think what has turned me off is I've used cheaper, no name hydra pacs. Which the straps end up pulling back on my shoulders. I saw one the other day USWE if I remember correctly. The straps looked more like a harness which got me to thinking about one again.

I have an Osprey 7L backpack that came with a 2.5L bladder. Before that I had a no name one that was about the same size. I think that size hits the sweet spot - it's just big enough to carry the water and a couple snacks so it's not a bunch of weight on my back. I also have a 3L Osprey backpack and it's too small to carry anything other than the water bladder.

I am with Punkinhead. I have an older Camelbak HAWG/MULE in the 15-18L realm and I just end up putting too much shit in it. Swapped that out for a KUDU 10 that has a CE2 back protector and better strap setup as it is designed to be for cycling.

I found that out when I searched, and yes, they are still available. Found some closeouts that had them down to $60.00 if you're not picky on color.

Amazon product ASIN B0787L37FVWe have this for my kid, It carries well over his armor and holds the basics for the day and broken parts back to the truck nicely/
Amazon product ASIN B071HJ7ZBM And this for myself, carries a days worth of gear (I ride to the trails) with room to spare, wears well all day . I added a phone case to the chest protecter that works great for keeping in touch with a group with varying skillsets so take different routes at times.
We have used both set ups for two seasons now with no complaint.

That gpx 4.5 looks very interesting as I prefer outer armor on hot days in the rocks. I get way overheated with close fitting soft armor.

That gpx 4.5 looks very interesting as I prefer outer armor on hot days in the rocks. I get way overheated with close fitting soft armor.
It's a nice piece of kit. Like I said I ride to the trails so bring a lot for a day out. It carries a lot or a little well. Also it is well compartmented for riding, Goggle pouch, Zipper pockets for reg, $$ and wallet
Gets dirty easy though. (it does look good dirty) I just throw the pack (removable) in the washer and it cleans up fine.
I should mention that the USWE fits great, My kid races hare scrambles (2 hour) and has no complaints at all

I've been very impressed with this pack. Use on the dirt bike and just for hiking. The foam things on the back to hold the pack off of you for airflow have held out nicely. I wondered if they would degrade and flatten, but they're like new 5+ years later. They don't use a no-name or in-house bladder, so you're not stuck with oddball fittings if you need a replacement connector.

I've worn it many times going out with a chains and axe to clear trails. Work in it all day without it shifting, so I definitely is stable enough to ride in. Passed plenty of crash tests as well 😁

I used to wear standard backpack style hydration packs, but found that the way they hang it makes my hands/arms go numb...guess something to do with the pressure on the nerves. Anyway, on the advice of one of my riding buddies, he recommended the USWE brand packs that use an X shaped strap in the front. Man, what a difference that makes...I wear that pack all day and never even notice it's on. They are kind of pricey, but if you sign up for their newsletter on the website you get some nice sale notices a few times a year. Got my last USWE pack at half price.

For anyone who is curious about it, I found a picture of my Klim Nac Pak with the outer compartment cut off. It definitely slims it down and lightens it up.

20220321_102801.jpg

I used to wear standard backpack style hydration packs, but found that the way they hang it makes my hands/arms go numb...guess something to do with the pressure on the nerves. Anyway, on the advice of one of my riding buddies, he recommended the USWE brand packs that use an X shaped strap in the front. Man, what a difference that makes...I wear that pack all day and never even notice it's on. They are kind of pricey, but if you sign up for their newsletter on the website you get some nice sale notices a few times a year. Got my last USWE pack at half price.
Speaking of deals via email, got one today advertising a few packs from 30-50% off today (11/7/22) but saying there will be new deals every day this month:

I use a Camelback Rogue 2 ltr hydration dealio and 2 I liter insulated Yeti bottles. I can refill the Camelback with the cold water from the Yeti's and buy two liters of cold water at a gas station when fueling up. If I time it right, I can get gas, buy water/snacks and pee in one stop... YMMV

Edit: I don't know if the rogue is still made but any 2 liter bladder system will do as you don't pack on too much weight on your back if you go that route...

I want to try a vest style pack. I just returned a Klim Arsenal vest. It was a little too bulky once I tried it on. Camel Bak makes a few vest styles with a few storage pockets on the front. That’s going to be what I try next.

Top Bottom Back Refresh