What's new

Interesting thing happened today

TravelinLite

ADV+
Member Number
Was taking a curve today at about a 35 degree lean angle when the air blast, created by a truck headed in the opposite direction, took some weight off of the rear of the bike causing it to slip a little. Nothing too dramatic but I just don't ever recall that happening before.

Was taking a curve today at about a 35 degree lean angle when the air blast, created by a truck headed in the opposite direction, took some weight off of the rear of the bike causing it to slip a little. Nothing too dramatic but I just don't ever recall that happening before.
Truck turbulence or gusts of wind buffeting can destabilize any motorcycle any type or size, and sometimes it can be down to fairings or equally lack of fairings.
If its a naked bike it could be the air/ wind hitting you, the small abbreviated fairing clock or handlebar fairings can deflect wind over you.
A simpl tank bag or even a bed roll fastened to the crossbar on my renthals used to help with wind on a 1996 zx7 streetfighter, my xs1100 used to be way better at speed two up with the big old oxford tank bag on.
The tail hp you describe is a feature i have felt before on bikes with rear rack top boxes or loaded high off the rear rack. I like any loads low and close to the seat as i can get it, strapped off the rear rack in my way experience is never nice feeling .
Another thing rucksacks/ Packs, depending on size and weight they can make things interesting / exiting at times i dont like riding with a rucksack, better to fasten it down to the bike some place. On the tank again is my favored place/ position. Look at your set up/ bike layout and adjust or modify as necessary is about all you can do.

Last edited:
About 15 years ago I was riding Vt late fall on my f650, Heading north at a good clip with my buddy riding behind on his R bike, Air was chilly near sunset when a wind shift brought up a bunch of leaves and dirt from the woods . I remember Ed saying "oh this can't be good" in the coms when the wind hit my bike sideways pushing it toward center line. There was a truck coming south as I braced against the wind Hard! My bike was in a full right turn style lean 45 degree lean easy. when the entire bike started to slide toward the oncoming truck. I could see the drivers terrified face and was sure that I was going under him when as fast as it started, the bike just stood up and stayed on it's line. My only guess is that as I got next to the truck it blocked the wind enough to save me. Needless to say I had my fill of riding that day so we found a piece of vacant land and set up camp for the night. I went with a grippier tire after that but I have never had a similar situation since.

About 15 years ago I was riding Vt late fall on my f650, Heading north at a good clip with my buddy riding behind on his R bike, Air was chilly near sunset when a wind shift brought up a bunch of leaves and dirt from the woods . I remember Ed saying "oh this can't be good" in the coms when the wind hit my bike sideways pushing it toward center line. There was a truck coming south as I braced against the wind Hard! My bike was in a full right turn style lean 45 degree lean easy. when the entire bike started to slide toward the oncoming truck. I could see the drivers terrified face and was sure that I was going under him when as fast as it started, the bike just stood up and stayed on it's line. My only guess is that as I got next to the truck it blocked the wind enough to save me. Needless to say I had my fill of riding that day so we found a piece of vacant land and set up camp for the night. I went with a grippier tire after that but I have never had a similar situation since.
Thats close, sent a shiver just reading that.

That's some crazy stories.

To me, the unsettling thing about wind is that you can't see it. This is only my third season riding so I have limited experience but my first year riding I had my first experience with the wake from opposing traffic. I was riding the perimeter of the thumb of Michigan and at maybe 60MPH on a two lane country road a semi truck was going the other direction. The slipstream hit me and blew me off course enough to startle me. Nothing really serious but enough to make me more cognizant of large profile vehicles that are heading in the opposite direction. Something I've noticed is that the turbulence produced by trucks seems very unpredictable. Even on the same road, with the same size truck and only minutes apart can have puzzlingly different effects.:dunno

Ahh high rise bridge with zero wind protection. Nc 45 over 3 rivers. Got hit by 75mph gusts back to back with a logging truck coming head on. 2 yellow line crossings and now stuck in afib. I massaged my neck ..but it was done. The dl1000 sucks in high winds. The wife was following and almost side swiped her at an open field...big not for tall adv after market madstad bikes in gust gail force winds. The wife was like soldier on..ja this was the stupidest shit I've done. Beats riding solo across a frozen lake which is easy..just dont fall and punch through with your handlebar!

Top Bottom Back Refresh