What's new

Kawasaki KLR 650 thread

So how do these KLR650s do as a daily commuter? Probably as good as anything else, I'd imagine?
My 03 was deadly reliable and got about 50 mpg. Plenty roomy for a tall guy. Absolutely need to crank the preload if using the rear rack for anything heavy. Tried to bring home a truck battery one day and it was super sketchy. But it was a cheap bike I bought for $900.

My current FZ 09 is lighter, triple the power ( literally) gets the same fuel mileage and is dead smooth. Paying new bike money, a KLR is a hard sale for a commuter IMO. Grab a cheap used one and you might be on to something.

My 03 was deadly reliable and got about 50 mpg. Plenty roomy for a tall guy. Absolutely need to crank the preload if using the rear rack for anything heavy. Tried to bring home a truck battery one day and it was super sketchy. But it was a cheap bike I bought for $900.

My current FZ 09 is lighter, triple the power ( literally) gets the same fuel mileage and is dead smooth. Paying new bike money, a KLR is a hard sale for a commuter IMO. Grab a cheap used one and you might be on to something.
Yeah, that would have to be what I'd do. Grab a cheap used one, that kinda describes all the bikes I've had so far. I'm still looking for my next bike as my current one is piling up the miles and years.

Yeah, that would have to be what I'd do. Grab a cheap used one, that kinda describes all the bikes I've had so far. I'm still looking for my next bike as my current one is piling up the miles and years.
It looks like that tornado came very close to Marble Hill this morning. I ride that area frequently and hate to see the destruction and death it caused.

Hope that we all stay safe this season. Springtime around here is a mixed blessing of warmer weather and severe storms.

I ended up buying new on the KLR, I wanted something that I could pay cash for and didn't have something screwed up by a previous owner. I've had too many of those in recent years. Plus the 1k rebate didn't hurt.

I guess I got fairly lucky when I found my KLR. PO stripped the oil drain plug and was convinced it needed new cases. I bought a couple gallons of the cheapest oil I could find and poured it through the engine while I ran a 3/8" pipe tap through the drain hole real quick. Wasn't "right", but was cheap and it worked.

Always feel like I'm shitting on KLRs because I don't plan to ever own one again, but I absolutely hammered on that bike for the year or so that I owned it and it did everything I asked. Didn't have a garage at the time and would keep a rock handy to beat the ice off the buttons in the morning so I could push the starter button. Spent countless hours literally WOT screaming down the highway and it didn't give a damn about it.

Paid $900 for the bike, swapped on a XR650R front end I got for $150 ( way better brake), a DR650 headlight ( way better again) sold it for $1800 + a '98 CR250 with a fresh engine and suspension that I turned around and sold for $2200 iirc. That thing felt like riding a wasp through the woods after a year on a KLR. All in all, my KLR treated me way better than I treated it. 😁

What are you riding now? A KZ?

Nah, that was my first bike, a 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D. I'm now riding a 1997 Yamaha Seca II / XJ600S, basically a 600cc 4 cylinder, air cooled, half faired sporty bike. It works pretty good, enough power (60HP), 40+ mpg. I bought it Jan 2014 with 13k miles on it for $800 and now it has 131k miles on it. I ride it pretty much daily to work depending on the weather and road conditions. So I really can't complain much at all.

I like the klr 47-68mph. 5th has enough tourque to pull decent. And the comfort is nice. I find the bike easy to ride. And not very distracting. Get to 5th gear and enjoy life. The klr is nice 2up or loaded on gravel. Capable off road but heavy. The weight makes the road ride nice. I call klr gravelwings. I am under 6ft and the bike seems enormous.

So is loctite mandatory?
Not yet...I also have older harleys plus other bikes and have locktite if needed. Florida and Ohio have natural salt locking. I am not quite close enough to the ocean here. I could just ride the klr one time to the coast. I took the strom a few weeks ago to spare the klr.

So is loctite mandatory?
It wasn't for me.

Had a Honda XL500S and blue loctite struggled to keep that bike together. Oddly enough, it felt super smooth compared to the KLR. Harmonics are weird.

Got to toss in my cute antique.

My 2003 685 I've had in the stable for about 15 years and may have another 15 years because its practical worth is way above the market value, considering what's on it, the many mods, and simply how good it is.

From the fully loaded-for-camping experimental ride.
Camping Ride Trip 2.JPG

Camping Ride Stop.jpg

My friend sold his 690 and later regretted in, buying one 4 years older with more miles. Now I have the ridiculously $$ 701 project going, with the KLR looking jealously at it.

Last year one of my boys came from London with some of his riding gear. I sent him off to ride New Mexico, with a planned meet-up at an NMTA event in the same Jemez Mountains, where he competed on a borrowed 4RT:
Shemon KLR.JPG

He said he one time he came up on a couple of riders on off road bikes taking a break. It was pretty out there, so he stopped to say hello. They took him as some lost squid riding alone and about about to kill himself, but he was no worries mates and then was off. Great suspension. Rekluse auto clutch with no foot brake and no clutch lever. Only hand brakes. And geared UP at 40/15=2.67.

Of the below three varied bikes, only the KLR remains in the stable. My friend and wife taking a break during a quick fun ride around the back way from ABQ to Sandia Crest:
Small Ride to Sandia Crest.JPG

Last edited:
I did a lot on my KLR to lower vibration and intensity at speed. Everything together turned it into a reasonably smooth machine that could fly along at 85mph all day long without too much misery.

The 685 piston was - if I remember right - 23 grams lighter and that little tiny bit lower the buzz.

I found big single was exciting resonance on the power side (top) of the chain, so I machined UHMWPE support blocks. Big improvement, especially when accelerating hard from low RPM.

Another big improvement was gearing UP. 43/16, then 43/17, then my tallest gearing was MI to CA and back with 40/17. So nice to be able to shift down to pass into 4th gear going 70 MPH.

Later came a bit more off-road riding when I fit a Rekluse auto clutch, tossed the foot brake and clutch lever and powered the rear brake direct from a Brembo 10mm clutch master cylinder. 40/15 worked well overall. Though tall for off road, the Recluse auto clutch tolerates a high 1st gear well.

The next iteration is already bought, 41/15.

BTW, I use Loctite so seldom I don't think I can find any in the shop. Every fastener not running in oil or gas gets grease (any kind). With grease in the thread interface, you more directly and accurately feel the result of applied torque, the threads can't corrode and seize up because the threads aren't 'dry' and thus able to take in water/electrolytes.

That greased threads are LESS likely to come loose under vibration is bizarre and contra intuitive. The mechanical engineering world is often weirder than you may imagine.

The few times I have used Loctite I still greased the threads. Anerobic-setting compounds and grease actually work nicely together.

Last edited:
I hope to get the gen3 out for a ride tomorrow. My klr is completely stock...so far. The efi bikes have some updates and vibration is not an issue for me. The cams have also been changed for more midrange. I think the engine likes to spin. Ha..I dont have a tach so I have no idea. I would guess 3,500 rpm and above is the sweet spot. Minimum speed in 5th is 48mph. 52-68mph is pretty darn smooth for a big thumper. At least what the rider is touching. The foot pegs, seat and handle bar risers are rubber mounted.

I was an early taker with the Gen 2 in 2008. Then a friend stopped by with a Gen 1, which I rode, and was stunned at the difference. My background is mostly off road and I found the heavier and more 'puffed' Gen 2 objectionable. I have never swung a leg over the Gen 3, but at each gen they added significantly more weight, in some cases by using cheaper steel parts versus aluminum.

I interacted with Mary at Sargent on what would become the fantastic World Seat, took photos for a magazine article, then sold the new blue Gen 2 and replaced it with a used green '03 I still have.

The later gens have better wind protection and FI is probably nice, but to me slimmer and lighter were better.

A real winner of a nexgen would have been a significantly lighter bike with a 6 speed true-wide ratio spread tranny and better suspension at the get go. But it's been the smaller Euro manufacturers who have innovated in that direction and sold many bikes. The large Japanese manufacturers mostly have not found it worth struggling against - and pay - the alphabet soup of US government agencies that bar the door of entry into our large country and its relatively small market.

So I'm now diving into a 701, which is 40 pounds less than my Gen 1. It's got a shamefully narrow-ratio-spread 6 speed, so for the cost of buying a whole used KLR I'm fitting a Nova Racing whole wide ratio gear set.

The 701 certainly violates the hell out of the cheap bastardism that the KLR has long supported so well and so reliably. And fixing that bike's many shortcomings makes me a big target for cheap bastard ridicule!

At my age time is short, and finally money less short, so I'm into a bit of a fling before my 'gleaming Red Barchetta' is 'against the motor law', or I simply fall apart and can no longer 'elude the eyes' and 'hop the turbine freight.'

But I still hold onto to my KLR to qualify as a 'my uncle has an old machine.'

Last edited:
Ha..yes the gen3 is heavy. And like other front heavy adv bikes feels better loaded or 2 up. Not a bad bike. I usaully like much lighter motorcycles. I still have all my dualsports. But I only plate a newer tw. The gen3 is a touring thumper with a dirt bike inspired chassis. A good rider could do alot but at some point the fun diminishes.

The fun diminished for me during the fully loaded camping test ride. We went some pretty rough places. I had no issues. No tip-overs, no falls (none in 15 years). The old KLR has excellent suspension between the custom-valved Cogent Moab shock, and the Race Tech Gold Valves in the forks. Valved faster, trials like. The ground visibility and relative agility of the Gen 1 were a plus.

Two things that were negatives were the gearbox ratios (classic, ever manufacturer does it, narrow spread), and the total weight with kit.

I've been geared up many years for the road, and then the auto clutch helped with control in the tall 1st, but in the rough stuff I was stuck in 1st because the travel rate to maintain 2nd was too fast. That made my travel rate in 1st a little too slow, and my friend kept pulling slowly ahead and having to stop to wait for me. I apologized.

More solution for the WYBDR in August was new sprockets 1 tooth up, 41/15. Still geared up overall, but a little less than 40/15. Also fitting a non-o-ring chain (no press-fit master link plate) and bringing a 14t front sprocket for field swaps of gearing if I dared an alternate hard section.

But WYBDR will be on the new 701 with its 40-pounds less than my Gen 1, and some camping kit upgrades with lighter tent, etc. Right now the suspension on the 701 is harsh and inferior to the KLR for BDR, but that'll get fixed with Race Tech bits and my custom valving.

Back to the weight objection. During that ride I kept thinking how much more fun the rough areas would be on my excellent 2019 Beta 390 RR-S, and why not just do motels in between rides? So I was put off by ride-and-camp for a few years. Doing easy dirt and roads no problem. But the added weight in the technical sections on an already heavier bike just didn't appeal. One of my past favs was transcontinental ride-and-camp with my wife on her F650GS single. For her sake no technical off road on those rides and in that scenario the modified KLR was brilliant. As was the super efficient Rotax based twin spark GS, which ALWAYS got 20 MPG better than the KLR, no matter the liading conditions :-0

What'll be interesting is my coming experience riding the more off-road biased 701 loaded up with camping kit. If reasonable, I could see myself doing more of that kind of riding... as long as the old body can get a good night's sleep.

Top Bottom Back Refresh