What's new

Motorcycle riders age. Is it increasing?

How old are you?

• Under 30.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • 31-40

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • 41-50

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • 51-60

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • 61-70

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • Over 71

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
The aging of the motorcycle riding community is a well known fact and I have seen countless threads and articles discussing it. It has been a real big deal for companies like Harley as they try to attract young riders without alienating their established, loyal and aging base.

One positive thing i have seen is that the number of smaller and less expensive models keeps growing. Back in 97 I was selling Yamaha and Kawasaki motorcycles. We had very few small street legal bikes to offer new riders. Sure we had kids dirt bikes but if you wanted a street legal bike we might have one or two bikes bikes under 500cc in the showroom. Now there are plenty of 300cc and under bikes available. Honda best selling street bike has been the Grom since it has been introduced. One issue that I think is alienating new riders is that many of these small, inexpensive bikes are not really that inexpensive due to so many dealers adding a couple of thousand dollars in fees to what should have been an inexpensive bike. More experienced riders will likely know that they can shop around for a better deal. Many new riders may not realize this. The Honda Navi is a good example of this. $1807 MSRP yet many delaers asking 4K OTD. Honda should be pushing as many of these out the door in the hopes that it will attract new riders who will come back and buy bigger bikes. Honda totally dropped the ball on this opportunity.
I think this is one of the biggest reasons. And I think the industry might experience some self inflicted wounds. The atv and sxs scene should be at seperate dealers. Also preorders with a deposit was a very bad idea. I fell for it once. But most likely never again.

How many hams posted on this thread? The two I know of haven't posted but I did. So at least 1.

Ya alot of lost knowledge in the genation cycles of time.
I am a ham. Tried to get more involved and went to a local meeting. I didn't really enjoy that most of the discussion revolved around bowel movements and medications :uhoh Have a buddy who uses his 800GS to do POTA and his love of radio is really what keeps me interested. POTA seems like a lot of fun, but I am too cheap to get a portable HF radio.

I am a ham. Tried to get more involved and went to a local meeting. I didn't really enjoy that most of the discussion revolved around bowel movements and medications :uhoh Have a buddy who uses his 800GS to do POTA and his love of radio is really what keeps me interested. POTA seems like a lot of fun, but I am too cheap to get a portable HF radio.
I haven't used my license once. I have been tempted to go back to chicken band. I had a mostly stock uniden with a giant dipole that contacted all over the US.

I would really enjoy meetings but there isn't any local. I have considered one of the online clubs. My tech license didnt have cw. So cw seems interesting to learn. A small qrp cw rig could fit on the bike.

I keep thinking about setting up adv style side hack with an easy access walk in tub. This would be for giving rides to anyone. If I could get just a few people curious about motorcycles it would be worth it. Plus someone might just want a once in a lifetime short ride. The little things might make a difference over time. How cool would it be if almost everyone in a small town would want at least one ride. The photos and media sharing on family pages would be seen by thousands.

I've seen videos of riders going to old folks homes and giving hack rides to seniors. The smiles are wonderful.

Especially on the wheelchair bound.

I've seen videos of riders going to old folks homes and giving hack rides to seniors. The smiles are wonderful.

Especially on the wheelchair bound.
I agree with any hack rides. If I could change my timeline.. I would have aimed at a 1000 hack rides. I like hacks as it has a long history of moto riding culture.

Ural has a share a chair day and this really inspired me. I hate being an ambassador or a spokesperson for anything but I appreciate moto enthusiasm. So I do find myself somewhat responsible to carry on this great torch of motorcycle enthusiasm. Haha keep pumping up this great world we live in. And maybe some moto wizards will come through.

As much as I would like to point a finger ...it is only at myself. I got old and tired. I just would like the answer that never exists.... how to share what we appreciate.

Last edited:
I started riding dirt bikes as a kid but never bothered to get a motorcycle license until I was 34 (in 2020), yet I was eager to get my farm permit at 14. Now that I think about it, I might have been the youngest student in the MSF course...
My nephew was all about the MSF course at 16 last year, attended Friday evening, Saturday, overslept on Sunday and didn't complete. He hasn't bothered to sign up again despite lots of encouragement.

I do believe the riding community is getting older, I'm not sure exactly why lots of reasons I guess, but I don't believe that money is one of them, The young people I know piss away money on a myriad of other things, so with redirection its as affordable to them as it was to me 40 years ago. Anecdotally my wifes daughter has raised her children to be risk averse, its funny because their father used to ride, but let me mention getting on a bike and the derision is instant, the boy isn't really interested in driving anything, let alone a motorcycle. The girl mentioned just after I got a new motorcycle two years ago, that she'd thought about getting her license, that one statement got so much ridicule from her mother she's never mentioned it again. I was hoping she'd do it for spite, even encouraged it, but no such luck.

I just chuckle at them and shake my head. Their loss, not mine with this and many other things in this life, that I hold dear. I try and quietly lead by example. I share my road stories, camping stories, hoping something may spark an interest, maybe they will come to their senses, maybe not.

Ultimately if they or other young people don't ever ride motorcycles I find it very difficult to GAF, its their life, I know I've missed things others held dear, too many lectures from the well intentioned. I'm convinced they are missing an experience that cannot be duplicated by anything, well bad sex maybe.

I think that's the thing really, WE think it's important, moving, exhilarating, and any other adjective you want to use, they don't. That simple. Will it all disappear, nope, change absolutely. Change is the only constant in the universe. In the mean time, I've got two sleeping beauties in the garage that need to wake up from a long winter slumber.

Ha my mom told me I would never own a motorcycle. But I was just a kid and that sealed the deal. One day I would have many mototorcycles. It was one of my better achievements.

I do believe the riding community is getting older, I'm not sure exactly why lots of reasons I guess, but I don't believe that money is one of them, The young people I know piss away money on a myriad of other things, so with redirection its as affordable to them as it was to me 40 years ago. Anecdotally my wifes daughter has raised her children to be risk averse, its funny because their father used to ride, but let me mention getting on a bike and the derision is instant, the boy isn't really interested in driving anything, let alone a motorcycle. The girl mentioned just after I got a new motorcycle two years ago, that she'd thought about getting her license, that one statement got so much ridicule from her mother she's never mentioned it again. I was hoping she'd do it for spite, even encouraged it, but no such luck.

I just chuckle at them and shake my head. Their loss, not mine with this and many other things in this life, that I hold dear. I try and quietly lead by example. I share my road stories, camping stories, hoping something may spark an interest, maybe they will come to their senses, maybe not.

Ultimately if they or other young people don't ever ride motorcycles I find it very difficult to GAF, its their life, I know I've missed things others held dear, too many lectures from the well intentioned. I'm convinced they are missing an experience that cannot be duplicated by anything, well bad sex maybe.

I think that's the thing really, WE think it's important, moving, exhilarating, and any other adjective you want to use, they don't. That simple. Will it all disappear, nope, change absolutely. Change is the only constant in the universe. In the mean time, I've got two sleeping beauties in the garage that need to wake up from a long winter slumber.
I fully agree with the young people pissing the money away on different things. New phones every year, phone plan, fashion clothing, subscriptions to 5 different TV channels, frequent eat out or takeaways, coffee from places like Starbucks, etc. No wonder they don't have any left for motorcycles.
I believe that on top of the costs of bike and gear, the difficulties and expense in getting a license also plays a large part (there are places are not that bad, but others are way too difficult). And the perceived risk.

Once kids get a cell phone they can call everyone for some cash app funds. Then blow $20 to buy credits to boost their score on online gaming. This kills me. I would have solved the game or learned the cheat codes and saved the money for my bmx bike. Maybe it is a lost cause at this point. Digital reality and digital funds.

Poor kids will be like "I dont think gramps should be riding that motor sickle anymore. "

Around here it is tractors and horses. I never seen anyone smile so big as a 75yr old whipping around on tractor. If I was a kid in this town I would want to be a farmer. The kid in me still does.

Those kiddos are blowing 200-300 bucks on jeans. I buy jeans that cost 20-30 bucks, and they don't come with pre-made holes. I make the holes myself, with hard work and determination.
Spoken like a true aging bike warrior. Makes me want to start a thread about carhart pants getting modernized in new dimensions. Should change the name to crotchhuggin instead of carhart. Haha I am a old grump dude. Confirmed..jeez ain't even 50 yet. I think I might go cuss out the weather today. Or go buy some overalls for the first time.

Wow! Look at us 61 to 70 year old folk on motorcycles, is this a reflection of just this site or motorcycling as a whole i wonder.
And if we broke it down to those who use bikes as daily transport and not just Sunday sport bike or day trip riders we are a true endangered species. :lol2

Wow! Look at us 61 to 70 year old folk on motorcycles, is this a reflection of just this site or motorcycling as a whole i wonder.
And if we broke it down to those who use bikes as daily transport and not just Sunday sport bike or day trip riders we are a true endangered species. :lol2

I think it is this site/ this type of site. I think a sport bike site will have Much younger riders.

I don't know about other folks on this site , but a bike is not my primary transportation. I use a bike a lot to "run get " small things. But my motorcycles are more "toys" than they are "tools"

I think it is this site/ this type of site. I think a sport bike site will have Much younger riders.

I don't know about other folks on this site , but a bike is not my primary transportation. I use a bike a lot to "run get " small things. But my motorcycles are more "toys" than they are "tools"
I have commuted on bikes and have swore off cages at least 12 of the last 25 yrs. I saved alot in gas. My primary work bikes were boring.. xt225, riva 125, xspeed 50, cm200 and tomos sprints. Funny every work bike was jumped, wheelied, ridden in snow. The xt was the king of work bikes. Alot of people got to see me ride. I worked over 300 days a year. I would be fine if 4 wheel vehicles were banned. Probably be the happiest day of my life.

I tried to keep the faith if you like, and when i worked for last 30+years i rode bikes all but a few days a year here. And i even rode in bad weather only using a car or truck if i needed to Cary anything or collect something en route to or from work.
Used XL500s X2 and a DT250 mx yamaha and DT175 MX and Izh Planeta sport 350 i still have today.
I like the IZH PS350s yamahas ( The IZH Ps350 is a Made in japan engine with yamaha design and casting which helps with the power and durability.
Two strokes are great commuters to my way of thinking i like the fact no valves to adjust or oil changes just chain sprockets and keep clean lubed and adjusted and oil in the lube tank or premix.

Turning 60 this year with 40 years of owning and riding motorcycles. I fully understand folks shying away from bikes, the bike expense, need for expensive gear, lack of true comfort and the danger are things that must be considered. Not everyone finds it fun, exhilarating and exciting and frankly there are a lot more safer, approachable ways to get around and have fun. As much as I’ve enjoyed my bikes over the years the sheer amount of traffic and poor road conditions have zapped my enthusiasm and that’s OK, things change, people change. I haven’t touched my bikes for a week which is a long time for me, I used my car today to run errands and never once thought about riding.

Turning 60 this year with 40 years of owning and riding motorcycles. I fully understand folks shying away from bikes, the bike expense, need for expensive gear, lack of true comfort and the danger are things that must be considered. Not everyone finds it fun, exhilarating and exciting and frankly there are a lot more safer, approachable ways to get around and have fun. As much as I’ve enjoyed my bikes over the years the sheer amount of traffic and poor road conditions have zapped my enthusiasm and that’s OK, things change, people change. I haven’t touched my bikes for a week which is a long time for me, I used my car today to run errands and never once thought about riding.
I have been on bikes my whole life from being an the farm and playing on the hills and by the river. Trials has always been my core riding artery and everything else as a result of trials. My as its Known today Street fighter formerly Wheelie bike obsession stemmed basically from trials honed ability and a healthy adrenaline requirement. It all fitted in quite well, and i must have been either good or just lucky and a bit careful i dont really know but it has filled a need for my whole life and i still get genuine pleasure from it in shovel fulls.
I am not really sure if the majority of the youth of today actually get the same rush out of it me and those i knew got from it in the day, but its just not as strong from what limited experience i have of such things. My Kids the eldest Lad is just his woman earning money and looking to move on , not such a bad thing but bikes play a relatively small part in his evolving world, and i do worry about him putting it aside in his life then picking it up in his 40s and being short on developed skills and paying a heavy price for pre believed ability . The daughter is and always has been cautious and though talented IMO will quite rightly steered a path of safetey and steeping out over the line is just not her thing, and i am very pleased about that. The youngest lad hes 20 next is really good on a bike can wheelie for England and his technical ability is sound, but he lacks the confidence somehow for speed wheelies and its not like it looks like thats going to change anytime soon.
He is very much Toyota yaris and Honda Civic tuning biassed and road bikes for him are not going to play a big thing certainly as things are with him right now.
A couple of his mates are typical northern streetfighter types and one in particular "Jay" is very talented , although i would never tell him that obviously :lol2.
I think there is the youngster out there and probably its just my relatively remote part of the world thats sadly lacking quite the dyed in the wool enthusiasm i recollect my generation having for bikes.

In fairness to the youth of today, the cgovernment legislation re licencing rider testing etc in the UK is quite daunting and i supose opresive, its a stark reflection i feel on a government al hidden agenda to trim the motorcycle slot from the transport list over here slowly and by that same old death of a thousand cuts the shooting world is under. Its really very obvious the complexity of bike tests here compared to the relative ease of car tests its light and day really, sad but its how it is here.

Top Bottom Back Refresh