What's new

New helmet

Soggy Biscuit

Member Number
I scored a Shoei Neotec 2 helmet on Black Friday for almost 45% off. There is no way in hell I'll ever pay MSRP on that brand. With that said, here is my short review.

I've had some riding time with that Shoei Neotec 2 helmet since it arrived a couple days ago. Compared to the HJC i90, the only real difference is the price, weight, and fit. Overall, I think the HJC i90 is better. The Shoei has had some time to get broken in around my head. Its fit leaves much to be desired. The chin strap doesn't have enough reach. This is after adjusting its slack to the maximum. It needs more slack so it doesn't feel like it's pressing against the undercarriage of my chin, making me want to gag. Upside is the strap isn't a worn out pair of d-rings. The wind noise isn't any less than the HJC. I ride with earplugs so the noise levels are comparable. The Sena R1-something-something thingy I use doesn't fit very well in the Shoei. It fits perfectly fine within the other helmet. The vents in the Shoei feel as if they aren't really doing anything for airflow whereas the HJC's vents are actually doing something. I can feel the air flowing with the vents opened; even with a balaclava. Speaking of wearing a balaclava. With the Shoei, fit and comfort are even worse. The chinstrap barely fastens and is super tight.

After going for a brisk ride in 28º night-time temps about an hour ago, with a breezy wind chill to contend with, my neck is left feeling sore. It feels like I was headbanging the entire time at a metal show. The Shoei might be getting shelved or listed for sale as "used." Glad I bought it on a Black Friday sale. I'd be pissed about spending over $800.

I can't even think of buying a helmet without trying it on first unless it's the same model I've been wearing for the last few decades. There's just too much involved in getting a good, comfortable fit.

I can't even think of buying a helmet without trying it on first unless it's the same model I've been wearing for the last few decades. There's just too much involved in getting a good, comfortable fit.
I did try it on first and even did a test run with it. It felt fine. It's the post break-in that leaves much to be desired. Its interior also smells like dry erase markers. A live and learn lesson.

Last edited:
I tried to buy a Shoei twice and both times they wouldn't let me test ride. If I'm going to pay $500/700 for a helmet I'll be ok with it if it's as quiet as they claim. Not allowed. Both times I was very happy with the cheaper helmets I bought.

I also noticed a strong chemical smell in the Shoei. It didn't dissipate over time?

I did it with Revzilla. Bought L and needed an XL? Or bought an M and needed an L.

It worked, but I too would prefer in store.

I tried to buy a Shoei twice and both times they wouldn't let me test ride. If I'm going to pay $500/700 for a helmet I'll be ok with it if it's as quiet as they claim. Not allowed. Both times I was very happy with the cheaper helmets I bought.

I also noticed a strong chemical smell in the Shoei. It didn't dissipate over time?

The Cycle Gear I bought it from let me test ride around the block simply because I told them if I'm going to maybe spend this much on a helmet, I need to make sure it's right for me. It also helps being a regular customer in the store. All I had to do was ask and lay down my reasoning for wanting a test run. They didn't try to argue against my points. I wish I had spent my money on a skid plate and crash bars instead. Oh well.

The chemical odor, IMO, is to help induce copium after having spent that much on a helmet that really isn't any better than an entry level one. The odor seemed to become stronger the longer I rode around last night. Maybe it was the dense cold air having something to do with it. Who knows?

After a couple more rides to and from work, the Shoei will eventually be listed "for sale." Just got done with some morning errands. I wore the other one. It is so, so much better in every aspect. The noise level in the i90 is actually much more quiet! I'll never again spend more than $300 on a helmet. Shoei, to me, is like a BMW and an Alienware gaming rig. It's over-engineered for the sake of it and isn't all that impressive once you tear it down. It's very basic. Their in-house safety testing is highly suspect. Perhaps it's because they're offended by the governing standards and where their products actually stand compared to others. They know their overpriced and overrated helmets aren't worth the price they're charging. Their in-house safety testing sounds like a bunch of marketing bullshit. As long as they have paid simp reviewers praising their helmets, people will keep on buying them.

BrO, tHeY'rE hAnDmAdE iN JaPan! 🤡:rolleyes

Yes, I'm mad at myself for buying it. I'm a clown. Premium brands are bullshit. Black Friday sale at 45% off and I still feel as if I paid way too much.

That’s too bad it didn’t work out. I have a couple of HJC helmets that I’ve been happy with. I forget where they are made but it’s not China. I try to avoid China products when possible, especially when it comes to head protection.

My first street helmet was HJC. Nothing to compare to, but it was good to me. I went to buy another HJC but the Ralpha or whatever it's called had gained popularity with the dude bro's and HJC was suddenly a premium brand with premium pricing. Kudos for HJC, but is the current $450 HJC really that much better than the $125 one I was retiring, or did the name suddenly just become "worth more"?

I crashed in a Chinese built LS2 and it did great. I bought another.

I got my $450 AGV (Dainese) on clearance for $150. Also Chinese built, but was a great helmet. It just aged out and I literally wore the interior out from repeated washings.

My current street lid is also Chinese built, and is by far the most comfortable and quiet street lid I've had so far.

I'm pretty tired of China, but I can't hate on Chinese built helmets.

Only helmet I ever regretted was a Scorpion. Man, that think was junk. I still feel guilty for selling it on instead of trashing it. Hopefully it's aged out by now and didn't hurt anyone.

I'm pretty tired of China, but I can't hate on Chinese built helmets.
All that makes sense. I shoulda just left it at "I try to avoid China products" since I have no experience with China helmets.

Actually, I'm wrong all around. After rethinking this I realized that I do have a China helmet. It's a Racequip SA rated automotive helmet. I was disappointed after I got it to discover that it's made in China but it's actually really nice and I do trust my head to China products. :lol2

All that makes sense. I shoulda just left it at "I try to avoid China products" since I have no experience with China helmets.

Actually, I'm wrong all around. After rethinking this I realized that I do have a China helmet. It's a Racequip SA rated automotive helmet. I was disappointed after I got it to discover that it's made in China but it's actually really nice and I do trust my head to China products. :lol2
Nah, I get you 100%. The whole China thing is s complicated. There's a part of me that that wants to boycott all things China. But if the only thing a $700 Shoei has going for it is that it's made in Japan, and a $125 Chinese helmet is just as good, I'm buying the cheaper one.

Top Bottom Back Refresh