What's new

Poison Ivy In My Riding Jacket?

DJ_MI

Class Clown
Member Number
I’ve had a rash on my arm for a few weeks now. It looks like poison ivy. Ir clears up a little and then comes back. I’m starting to wonder if maybe I have some poison ivy oil in the sleeve of my riding jacket. Anyone ever experienced this before?

I’m going to wash my jacket and see if it helps.

Keep it separated from your other clothes and use hot water and use either white vinegar or ammonia with your laundry detergent to help get the oils out .. YMMV
Thanks. I’ve only ever washed it once and did it in a washtub with a little dish soap.

Yes!

I am highly allergic to Poison Ivy and am very familiar with the rash and poison oils. It's even worse when the poison oil gets into your helmet cheek pads :boid

You need to approach cleaning the jacket (or any other contaminated garment) as if it was covered in nasty gear oil. The same techniques work with getting the urushiol out. Urushiol is the poison oil that makes life hell. If I know which part of the garment has been contaminated, I put on nitrile gloves (remember, I am highly allergic) and scrub some of that orange grease hand cleaner into the garment. After it sits for a bit, I then rinse with hot water. I avoid the water steam as well for fear the water vapor could carry the urushiol in the air. Finally, I toss the garment in the washer and run the washer on HOT, with nearly a full loads worth of detergent and finish it with an extra HOT rinse.

For your skin, I have found that a product called Tecnu works great. They have a scrub that works wonders on contaminated skin and even a non blistering rash. Tecnu also sells an anti-itch spray that works wonders soothing poison ivy itch as well as obnoxious insect bites.
Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub
Tecnu Rash Relief Spray

I also pack Ivy X, which is a moist towelette that removes the urushiol from your skin. Stinks like hell, but it works. Handy to have when riding in the woods.
Ivy X Post Contact Poison Ivy Treatment Wipes

If the rash gets in your eyes, nether regions :uhoh, or the blisters start oozing uncontrollably, go to the doctor. You'll probably get a steroid shot, prednisone and/or a cream.

Last edited:
Yes!

I am highly allergic to Poison Ivy and am very familiar with the rash and poison oils. It's even worse when the poison oils get into your helmets cheek pads :boid

You need to approach cleaning the jacket (or any other contaminated garment) as if it was covered in nasty gear oil. The same techniques work with getting the urushiol out. Urushiol is the poison oil that makes life hell. If I know which part of the garment has been contaminated, I put on nitrile gloves (remember, I am highly allergic) and scrub some of that orange grease hand cleaner into the garment. After it sits for a bit, I then rinse with hot water. I avoid the water steam as well for fear the water vapor could carry the urushiol in the air. Finally, I toss the garment in the washer and run the washer on HOT, with nearly a full loads worth of detergent and finish it with an extra HOT rinse.

For your skin, I have found that a product called Tecnu works great. They have a scrub that works wonders on contaminated skin and even a non blistering rash. Tecnu also sells an anti-itch spray that works wonders soothing poison ivy itch as well as obnoxious insect bites.
Tecnu Rash Relief Spray

I also pack Ivy X, which is a moist towelette that removes the urushiol from your skin. Stinks like hell, but it works. Handy to have when riding in the woods.

If the rash gets in your eyes, nether regions :uhoh, or the blisters start oozing uncontrollably, go to the doctor. You'll probably get a steroid shot, prednisone and/or a cream.
Thank you very much for your expertise!

I’ve definitely gotten poison ivy rashes before but I don’t seem particularly sensitive to it which is why I’m puzzled by how I seem to be getting it repeatedly in the same area. I think it must be the jacket. My wife on the other hand has never had a reaction to it… must be nice!

I’ve had a rash on my arm for a few weeks now. It looks like poison ivy. Ir clears up a little and then comes back. I’m starting to wonder if maybe I have some poison ivy oil in the sleeve of my riding jacket. Anyone ever experienced this before?

I’m going to wash my jacket and see if it helps.
Only liking because this happened to me. Yes it was in a jacket. The oil is very hard to dissolve. I ended up getting in my blood stream. Mega steroids and I felt great but it didnt solve the problem. Research did. Today we sawed at least 40 logs covered in that poison vine. Atomized and everywhere. Once in the skin it takes a little effort to clear. I hold back on treatments for various reasons. Mainly no body listens and the liabilty of recommending health care. But think what can safely dissolve the oil and at what ratio to water. Then how long before the pores/abrasions release the oil. Good luck the answer is widely known. I think zinc levels might play a part in the skins sensitivity. Good luck..and find out! Then you will never deel with it again.

Sidenote ..ringworm from oil and petroleum contanimates makes poison ivy seem small. Doctors cant cure either one but only treat.

Yes!

I am highly allergic to Poison Ivy and am very familiar with the rash and poison oils. It's even worse when the poison oils get into your helmets cheek pads :boid

Tecnu Rash Relief Spray

I could have written exactly this.

One other thing I use is Domebro to get the rash out.

Only liking because this happened to me. Yes it was in a jacket. The oil is very hard to dissolve. I ended up getting in my blood stream. Mega steroids and I felt great but it didnt solve the problem. Research did. Today we sawed at least 40 logs covered in that poison vine. Atomized and everywhere. Once in the skin it takes a little effort to clear. I hold back on treatments for various reasons. Mainly no body listens and the liabilty of recommending health care. But think what can safely dissolve the oil and at what ratio to water. Then how long before the pores/abrasions release the oil. Good luck the answer is widely known. I think zinc levels might play a part in the skins sensitivity. Good luck..and find out! Then you will never deel with it again.

Sidenote ..ringworm from oil and petroleum contanimates makes poison ivy seem small. Doctors cant cure either one but only treat.
I feel like Indiana Jones who stumbled upon some ancient writings. But I don't have the secret decoder ring and now I'm doomed to watch civilization fail while somehow feeling the answer is at my fingertips.

I feel like Indiana Jones who stumbled upon some ancient writings. But I don't have the secret decoder ring and now I'm doomed to watch civilization fail while somehow feeling the answer is at my fingertips.
That crap is on every log and slab. The oil can sit on machines for months. Being careful is a start. Bar soap helps to mechanically remove the oil. I wash my arms at lunch and when I get home. The worst scenario is being scatched by thorns and exposed to fresh urshoil. Now it is deep in the dermis. There are household solvents that will break down the oil. But the oil will not release immediately. It takes soaking in water for at least an hr. The problem I had was I once gave the ratio and chemical....but no one listened. The strongest ratio was 200 parts water to 1. And even better at 500 water to 1. No one could be patient and would try to burn their skin off. Either that or no dam common sense in math and chemistry.

If I think Ive been exposed.. a swimming pool is nice..wink or salt water. If your fingers aren't wrinkled you haven't soaked enough. Then blot dry when you get out. Should be gone 3 days tops. Definitely wash all clothes with above posts methods.

Never try to remove the oil from your skin with dishsoap. Many dishsoaps have phosphates and can cause enough problems.

Update:
I washed my jacket thoroughly and it looked like the Exxon Valdez ran aground in the wash tub. I still have the rash on my arm but it doesn’t look like poison ivy anymore. It does seem to be worse after riding though.

I’m not sure if it’s possible but my theory now is that I did have poison ivy on my arm but not from my jacket but the jacket still has oil and contaminants in it that is irritating the already sensitive skin. I’m going to wash it again and see if it helps. :thumb

Update:
I washed my jacket thoroughly and it looked like the Exxon Valdez ran aground in the wash tub. I still have the rash on my arm but it doesn’t look like poison ivy anymore. It does seem to be worse after riding though.

I’m not sure if it’s possible but my theory now is that I did have poison ivy on my arm but not from my jacket but the jacket still has oil and contaminants in it that is irritating the already sensitive skin. I’m going to wash it again and see if it helps. :thumb
Why not hydacortisone. That is long time for poison ivy. Fungus/ringworm will last a long time. Haha I had a friend who claimed to never have gotten athlete's foot....he pissed on his feet in the shower everday...ammonia I guess. But certain times in life one can have more skin issues. If the jacket got wet and stayed wet for a few days...ringworm! use vinegar on all your clothes.

Top Bottom Back Refresh