What's new

Racing Red R1150Gs

neil w

Member Number
Owned a very early Yellow R1150GS (May 1999 production date and nos 114 off the production line ) from 2001 through till 2011 when I bought a new R1200GSA , always fancied owning another and looked at a couple over the years but they were either boring colours, poor condition or ridiculous mileage.
In November 2022 I managed to located another 1999 bike, with only 23,000 recorded miles and in very good but not immaculate condition , turns out the bike was production number 137 and built on the same day as my original one , the bike was silver so decided a quick refresh was in order over the winter of 2022 /2023, first picture is as bought

Attachments

• r1150gs  man.jpg
    r1150gs man.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 7
When I got the bike home ,I was aware that the brakes needed some attention so the front and rear calipers were fully rebuilt with new pistons, seals and Goodridge stainless steel brake lines and a full fluid change. The rear paralever bearings were stripped and regreased and the gearbox, final drive oils were changed . Next the engine oil and filter plus the weeping oil sight glass was renewed , plugs were replaced as was the air filter .

Satisfied that the bike was fully serviced I also updated the alternator, as standard both of my 1150's were non heated grips/abs models so came with the smaller Nippon Denso alternator and as I intended to add heated grips and auxilliary lights I swapped the smaller alternator for a nearly new Bosch higher output item.

I was going to get the bike painted Mandarin like my first bike and then decided that I liked the look of the Marrakesh Red paint scheme (non UK colour ) so decided instead to go for the same colour as my old 2018 R1200GSA a BMW Racing Red (solid) colour and also had the seats refurbished and reprofiled with new gel inserts

Attachments

• 95a.jpg
    95a.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 7
Made up a switched auxilliary fusebox to power the spotlights, sat nav mount

Attachments

• r1150gs electrics.jpg
    r1150gs electrics.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 8
  • r1150gs electrics 2.jpg
    r1150gs electrics 2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 5