What's new

Riding in snow.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_sandia_202_zpsrzkreunb.jpg

I've always wanted to ride LA-B-2LV

It's a bucket list ride for me. that Sno looks like fun
It was super cool doing it in the snow, I think for day one it would be almost boring in normal weather though its a lot of just open flat desert. Day two into vegas looked to be better terrain

I rode 6 days a week for 5yrs in the snow belt. Got caught in few white outs. Took an hour and half to go 13 miles. That was about the worst besides a driving ban. That day snow plow trail off was waist high at work and about 10ft across. I drug the xt on its side across it. Good times

June 2018, with my two sons. This is the deepest snow I've ever ridden in. We had to dig through this stuff for about 3/4 of a mile to get over a mountain pass. We made it through, but it was hard work.

20180615_201448.jpg

20180615_200547.jpg

Good job! Ha that snow is xt225 territory with a fresh trials tire at 5psi. I bet that was a workout. Last few snows here..I cheated with the coleman. About 7" with a slush base. Haha best snow is dry and squeaks but is brutal cold. But the squeaking adds to the fun.

Good job! Ha that snow is xt225 territory with a fresh trials tire at 5psi. I bet that was a workout. Last few snows here..I cheated with the coleman. About 7" with a slush base. Haha best snow is dry and squeaks but is brutal cold. But the squeaking adds to the fun.

Yeah, we were drenched in sweat by the time we got through it. Then a few hours later we had to do it all over again in the opposite direction, but it was a piece of cake because it was all downhill. The pass only had snow on the northeast side, it had all melted off the southwest side of the pass.

Not had any snow yet, but due this weekend when it warms up its getting colder so wont be for a day or so yet.
so Snow riding? To play in ok great to travel in , well not so great commuting in it is aweful its not the riding or you its the others threatening your safetey, on your own probably be fine.
typical street bike front mudguard clearance a thing esspecialy when freezing hard. Trail dirty type bike best , with these let a few PSI out the tyres if rimlocked and you carry cordless inflator go right down but be aware rocks with sharp corners logs etc lurk under soft snow so dont go mad 20psi is probably where you wana be and you will increase your footprint worth the effort in most cases.
The throttle is your funnest tgiller remember and have fun stay safe be along latter cwhen it shows up.

I commuted for years. Favorite rear tire was a cst 18x4 trials tire at about 6-8psi. Tire barely fit in an xt225 swind arm with stock chain legnth. The match front was decent also.

I commuted for years. Favorite rear tire was a cst 18x4 trials tire at about 6-8psi. Tire barely fit in an xt225 swind arm with stock chain legnth. The match front was decent also.
Good info. Thanks! If the CST front was just decent was there one you preferred more?

Those CST tires look a lot like automotive snow tires with all the siping in the blocks.
Legion-Trials.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh