What's new

- Week Riding the GOAT with Texan Gene

Jay547

Member Number
GOAT Ride with Gene April 14-16, 2023

I invited my old riding buddy from Texas, Gene, to come ride the GOAT Rally (Green Country Oklahoma Adventure Tour) at the end of the month. He wanted to bring along his step-son, Stephen. Stephen couldn’t get off work (paramedic) that weekend, so they came up to ride the route with me a couple weeks early.

The plan was to come up on Thursday night, stay at my place (I had to work a half day Friday), then head over to the Illinois River to camp and ride. We would ride the South Loop Friday afternoon, the North Loop Saturday, and finish up anything leftover on Sunday morning.
Nothing went right on Friday. First, we were running about an hour behind schedule. We made it to the campsite and just as we finished unloading, Stephen locked his keys in his truck. A couple hours later, they finally got it open. We decided to ride as much of the South Loop as we could, before dark. We got less than a mile from camp and Stephen threw his chain. Of course, it got his case and his Yamaha suffered an immediate Exxon Valdez on the side of the road. We went back, got his truck, and hauled it back. I didn’t want them to have come all this way and not get to ride, so we went back to my place (65 miles away) and picked up my daughter’s DR200. Gene would ride it and Stephen would ride Gene’s KTM. It was dark by then, so the riding would have to start Saturday morning. After that, everything went well, and it turned out to be an excellent ride.

My ice chest pulled double duty while Stephen tried to open his door.

v6aUY4k.jpg

While they worked on that, I set up my camp, then rode around the campground checking out the river.

S1cnO9Y.jpg

Xj7xj6q.jpg

Finally, time to ride. We didn’t get far.

aq8hqE7.jpg

I9EM4s2.jpg

2.32 miles for the day. I was worn out.

tY8dpQN.jpg

Saturday morning, I got up first and took more river pics.

dDkiaZR.jpg

ilHKxZw.jpg

OWMK8fW.jpg

We started the ride about 9:00. Longhorns and my favorite country church.

CHlalHQ.jpg

cfKeQlh.jpg

I was glad to see that the low water crossings weren’t slick – yet.

nuPNqRE.jpg

The blue couches are a rest stop/landmark about 80 miles into the route.

tGX9XuI.jpg

This is Copic Slab Road. My second favorite section of the South Loop. It’s a public road but not maintained.

5SRLMwn.jpg

BfaZjO7.jpg

gtMCGNL.jpg

Once you get a little closer to civilization, the road improves.

4gEQvR3.jpg

vSosRz8.jpg

Gene played in the water at Little Lee Creek.

mHdM0P9.jpg

eSMHivI.jpg

My favorite section, Old Stagecoach Road. I normally run it the other direction, so it’s uphill. It’s more challenging that way. Since Gene was riding the little DR, I gave him a break and ran it downhill.

VgZ4e8t.jpg

X1zFhRt.jpg

3meFz0y.jpg

We made to our lunch/first gas stop about 1:00. I was close on gas. 110.4 miles is the furthest I’ve gone on one tank and it was sputtering then. I’ve run out at 93 miles while running a spirited pace.

QwB1xnP.jpg

DHJry4N.jpg

We did some exploring around Marble City. The old jail, the railroad spur over Sallisaw Creek, and the marble quarry.

qBDFsvf.jpg

bgguLAe.jpg

dYdqaCQ.jpg

SkoOdfR.jpg

iClOmil.jpg

8lruqyB.jpg

fli9eab.jpg

MOeHpK2.jpg

VaEQ1QX.jpg

A fishing trail along the Baron Fork of the Illinois River.

PnVurho.jpg

The last stop for the day was at Bathtub Rocks. An interesting and aptly-named geologic formation.

ktE36jJ.jpg

VkC7qFZ.jpg

eDNKrfD.jpg

q09NMZx.jpg

Saturday stats:

63tFOCV.jpg

A cold front with strong winds moved in Saturday afternoon. We went into town for a Mexican dinner, then enjoyed the campfire before retiring. It got down into the low 40’s, upper 30’s overnight.

LDV4YuG.jpg

Z7CPy2U.jpg

xjbYnwv.jpg

Sunday morning was cold, so we delayed awhile waiting for it to warm up. Then, we headed out to see how much of the North Loop we could ride before they had to head home.

Along the Illinois.

woJIgEs.jpg

9EX3s3v.jpg

RXrIAuL.jpg

BZzEBFG.jpg

7lsGxd6.jpg

zJ84Xqs.jpg

I always check this eagle’s nest when passing through. This is the second time I’ve seen an eagle in it.

2Tflj9M.jpg

The falls on Falls Branch.

PnHC8IC.jpg

The now-closed Carnes Ford on the Illinois. I’ve crossed it in my work truck but never on a bike. It’s reportedly partially washed out now.

PKooQcK.jpg

Proctor School II, a former WPA project.

fQa1VOb.jpg

JBYzlk3.jpg

E6Di0Gs.jpg

OykmWaW.jpg

Our final picture stop for this day was at the Flint Creek Bridge, built in 1930. I actually have the construction plans for this bridge at work (I'm a land surveyor for a civil engineering company and we had a project in the area.)

QiKWiqJ.jpg

u4AHhmD.jpg

A short but fun ride.

EgsYmLv.jpg

Overall, this was a good ride, despite all the problems at the beginning. The real GOAT Rally is coming up. This year, it’s a three-day event. I’ll be riding it too.

Last edited:
Saturday morning, I got up first and took more river pics.

dDkiaZR.jpg

ilHKxZw.jpg

OWMK8fW.jpg

We started the ride about 9:00. Longhorns and my favorite country church.

CHlalHQ.jpg

cfKeQlh.jpg

I was glad to see that the low water crossings weren’t slick – yet.

nuPNqRE.jpg

The blue couches are a rest stop/landmark about 80 miles into the route.

tGX9XuI.jpg

This is Copic Slab Road. My second favorite section of the South Loop. It’s a public road but not maintained.

5SRLMwn.jpg

BfaZjO7.jpg

gtMCGNL.jpg
Three thumbs up. Great RR, I enjoyed the history of you pointed out, it puts the ride into perspective.

Top Bottom Back Refresh