What's new

Scottoiler or other brands?

I put I think the final draft version of the nozzle on yesterday;

small-IMG_20230228_173140.jpg

I'll refine the hose clamp situation after shaking it down for a while. Definitely a solid mount and easy enough to tweak the nozzle so drips are about equal on both sides of the chain. About 1/4" clearance between the tips of the nozzles and the chain at maximum whip, but arranged in this way the chain will push it up out of the way if there is interaction.
I'd love to hear how this works out for you. I really would prefer using the front sprocket if it lubes well without any extra mess.

I used the front sprocket approach on my Bandit and R6 also. It does kind of make a mess over time; oil ends up accumulating on the sidestand and to some extent down the left side of the swingarm, though it has a lot to do with how much oil is applied. I wash the bike only after long trips, or if I spent time on a mucky gravel road- its easy enough to use scrubbing bubbles or similar to clear the oily dirt away.

This one is actually a bit further back than the others- the R6 had it maybe an inch away from the front sprocket but it still worked fine.

I had hoped to push this one forward, behind the frame pillar to protect it better but that made it impossible to adjust the nozzle... much easier in this position. As-is, its well away from my leg and the mount firmness is excellent. But it is a bit more prominent than I'd like but whateves :rofl

Turns out, this is all that will be visible once finished.
IMG_20230301_225012235.jpg

Practically invisible.
IMG_20230301_225025587.jpg

Got dead lucky with this bolt location. Grab a couple metal p-clips tomorrow and the hose will route inside the swingarm all the way to where it will hide inside the front sprocket cover. It'll run with a factory wiring harness from there.
IMG_20230301_225125661.jpg

IMG_20230301_225338245.jpg

Hides under the seat nicely with the fill cap and adjustment knob easily accessible. Probably will forego aiming for the front sprocket since I was able to get so lucky with this particular bike.

IMG_20230301_224944963.jpg

:-) man you did get lucky with that bolt location! I've always liked the idea of applying the oil to the side of the sprocket like that, I think it will keep the swingarm a good deal cleaner than with the applicator up forward. My bandit and r6 had advantageous bolts up forward so perhaps thats part of why I went there first on the current bike; no convenient bolts up forward or down at the rear sprocket with it though.

Coming up on about 800-1,000 miles since installing the Scottoiler. My back wheel was admittedly filthy when I washed the bike yesterday evening, but it's the first wash of the year and I'm pretty confident that it was normal winter time funk and not an overabundance of oil fling off.

The chain appears thoroughly wet, but I don't see any signs of actual oil splatter on the wheel or anywhere else. Rode through a couple showers this week, so can't really say. Washing the bike was a breeze as I didn't have to scrub the chain, dry the chain and then relube the chain. That was really nice. I was paying attention while rinsing the bike and the water was just beading up rather than trying to wash away the oil, so doesn't seem to require any extra attention whatsoever.

Still early days, but I'm pretty sure this is gonna a keeper. One of those things I should've taken seriously years ago.

Oh. And my fuel mileage consistently picked up 3mpg immediately upon installation. I don't doubt the number as the bike does feel a bit snappier. Stands to reason that a chain genuinely wet with oil is going to create less friction than one slathered with lube intentionally designed to dry up and not fling off. I've got the oiler set to drip exactly once every 60 seconds with the bike at room temperature.

IMG_20230323_183042275.jpg

Thats the business :) not having to mess around with cleaning and oiling the chain is a <big> win.

Dosing every minute might be a bit high though- you may find a lot oily dirt accumulating on inside of the chain guard and the underside of the swingarm.

I have my DIY oiler operating and am tuning it. It reports the # of doses since powerup, I am adjusting it to find a reasonable level of oil delivery. I'm sure mine is pretty low, current setting is a 5 second dose every 10 miles or so (amounts to 5 or 6 drops divided over both sides of the chain), but I need more road time to see how wet the chain stays. My guess is I will need to decrease the dosing interval a bit.

You're probably right about dosing a bit high. I don't run much highway if I can avoid it so probably travel less distance in a minute than the recommended amount.

If I can get the Scottoiler reservoir to last 6,000 miles to coincide with my engine oil change interval I'll be a happy boy!

Lowered the drip rate a couple notches . Didn't re-time the drip, just dialed the knob down a bit Everything still clean yet looking plenty wet. Fuel mileage consistently staying up there.

Out running errands today and gave her the beans in second gear at around 60-70mph and the back tire started chattering. First though, " chain oiler has dumped it's load all over the back tire and it's trying to kill me". Nope. Everything's good, it was just breaking traction. I'd pulled over to inspect things and when I saw that all was good I blasted away and nailed it second gear again. Still breaking traction. Damn I do love this bike!

I swear there's a noticable power difference between running tacky chain lube and actual oil. I'll quit fanboy'ing now, but I shoulda done this ages ago.

Anyone on the fence about these systems - just go for it.

Last edited:
Not messing with chain lube or cleaning is fantastic! I'm still at 1 dose for 5 secs every 15-ish miles. Chain is still wet with oil after a week of riding to work.. so I'll probably stay at this setting.

My chain oiler. Costs less than 10 bucks and is filled with used engine oil.

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 22.23.44.png

Impossible to argue that manual oiling works. And I'm definitely done with tacky spray lubes.

But for $125 and a couple hours installation, no way in hell I'm going back to scrubbing chains weekly. Technology is great, even if it's just an automated oil pisser 😁

Scottoiler is the most laid back company I ever dealt with.

My oiler failed. A few weeks ago I started dealing with sporadic oiling amounts, but I thought it was due to the hot weather and I just needed to continue getting accustomed to how temperature affects the viscosity of the oil. I was losing a full reservoir of oil in just 100-200 miles, but the chain was looking dry. Then I started the bike one day and got a puff of smoke out the exhaust. Ah, that's where it's going.

I spent a couple days looking for proof of purchase with no luck and finally just emailed them and told them what's up.

"Sorry you're having trouble with your oiler. Please send us the production number off your oiler and your shipping address and we'll send you a replacement"

That was too easy ! I still have no proof of purchase to give them. I emailed back with my mailing address ...

"New reservoir is on its way. If you don't mind, can you send your faulty unit to us for inspection? Keep track of your time and shipping costs so we can reimburse you. Thanks" . Immediately after I got another email with tracking information.

Well, I'm a customer for life and a self appointed Scottoiler salesman now! Everyone go buy from Scottoiler!

ps- aside from this issue, the oiler has been brilliant. Some speckles on the rear wheel that I rag off once a week is welcome tradeoff compared to scrubbing, drying and relubing. And the riding experience with a truly oiled chain vs one gobbed up with cakey, gummy no-fling lubes is eye-opening.

Top Bottom Back Refresh