What's new

Smokin' -- Charcoal, Hardwoods & Pellet BBQs

This gas smoker was given to me. Someone threw it out, my buddy grabbed it and let me have it. It's doesn't use much fuel. No complaints here!
We have a 100 gallon tank for our house and the installation guy told me the pressure is only about 1 lb. I can run my smoker for hours low and slow and you can't even see any gauge movement on the tank. Once you get the temp stable it's just check in once in a while.

I used to use a Weber charcoal, then a Charbroil propane, now a Traeger. The charcoal Weber was great but the fiddle factor, petrol starter fluid, and lack of temp control got the better of me. The Charbroil...just a big no. I'm very happy with my Traeger. I've never screwed anything up with it and maintenance/cleanup is not above my pay grade. I did salmon last night and it came out beautifully.

Question for other pellet users: Can you tell a taste difference among the various types of pellets? I think I have nearly every type of Traeger wood pellet but I'm hard pressed to tell whether they impart a difference in taste.
I'm with you on the taste differences.

Maybe hickory over an 8 hour smoke will have definite taste profile but other than that I've come to the conclusion its all marketing! I use apple mostly but really anything goes for me.

Just did a big slab of pork belly yesterday with a combination of some super-cheap Australian hardwood pellets that were $5.00 on a close-out mixed 50/50 with Trager pellets. Maybe not quite as hot as 100% Traeger ones but pellets will go a lot further.

Storm took down this cherry tree I cleaned up yesterday.
IMG_20230507_135353501.jpg

Pretty sure the universe was telling me to do this.

IMG_20230507_141927862.jpg

Hoping the bigger lumps will smoke longer than those tiny chips I'm tired of buying.

Got a decent saw log out of it ,too, that I'm excited to have!

IMG_20230507_143114052.jpg

First set of ribs tonight. 6 hours smoke at 212F and two or so hours wrapped in foil at 250F with a cup of 50/50 mix of chicken stock & Pinot Noir. Served with pinot jus. Bloody great, super tender.

Reactions: MVI
Lumps smoked the whole time! They'll flame up if open the door, though. Spritz of water and they tame right down. Would recommend if chips are burning up too quick on you.
16834951689311692332652476356287.jpg
Did you cook something in the cast iron skillet, or was it there as a water pan?

Did you cook something in the cast iron skillet, or was it there as a water pan?
Just there for a water pan. Surprising how much water gets used up. About a gallon and half went up in steam cooking that little pork loin.

This thread got me thinking about looking around for something newer yesterday. My Sausage Maker stainless smoker is about 15 years old - not that there's anything wrong with it - but I knew there were better products out there and I've had a difficult time getting the same results since we moved to our current place for one interesting reason. We have a gas stove, oven and water heater with a 100 gallon propane tank and the original owner was wise enough to run a line out to the detached garage porch, so I got hoses to use the quick-disconnect for my grill and smoker. Trouble is, with only about 1 lb of propane pressure I don't have the temperature range and control I used to have. The wind often blows out the flame when I try to do low and slow so I have to put boards around it and if I want to do something at higher temps it takes forever to get the wood going and reach 250°.

Soooo... I bought a GMG Trek yesterday after seeing Yinzer's yesterday. Oddly enough, I recently restocked wood for my current smoker and decided to try pellets for the first time, so I'll be set when the new Trek gets here in a week. Really looking forward to trying out something new and seemingly a lot better. I'll either pick up a cart to put it on or build a wood base for it that I can add casters to. Feel like I got a pretty good deal too, with a second rack it was $368 total, shipped free.

Today is delivery day, waiting on...

WTF, just checked tracking and it says delayed. Supposedly tomorrow now.

Between Jacksonville and Ocala, deliveries here have become a nightmare sometimes.

Trek is a portable smoker ?

Charcoal is my primary as of about three years ago. I’ve seen guys say the “wood chips burn too fast” or “I don’t see a difference in flavor” (probably because wood chips are burning too fast!). When I want to smoke with charcoal (I don’t really “low temp/long time smoke, I just cook as normal with a little wood), I recommend soaking the wood chips in water for about thirty minutes before you need them, then drop a handful over each side in the grill (directly on the coals). The water logging makes the chips last longer and generate more smoke. If you REALLY want a Smokey flavor, don’t use hickory, apple, or cherry…go right to mesquite.

Trek is a portable smoker ?

It is, though at 65 lbs it's a bit hefty. I can see us taking it with us this fall to the cabin in SC. I just got mine this afternoon, haven't yet finished the minor assembly required (chimney, lid handle reinstalled on the outside of the lid, all minor stuff) and because it's on stubby little legs I'll be buying an inexpensive cart tomorrow before putting it to use this weekend. It got beaten up a lot in the box it was shipped in but no real damage happened other than a couple of chips in the paint on the pellet box lid and a slight bend in the soft metal on the chimney where the slots for the bolts are (happened in the separate box it was packed in), easily straightened by hand. It comes with a really long 12v cord with cigarette lighter socket plugs as well as a 110v cord with transformer. I bought the extra elevated rack to make it a double-decker for some cooking, only $20 more.

Really looking forward to doing some brisket in it soon, never had good luck with it in my old vertical gas smoker. I'll post some pics of it once I get it going, I'm stoked to put it to use.

Reactions: MVI
I am not a millennial but I have some lazy millennial traits. We now have a pellet grill from GMG, the Trek model. I can sit in my recliner and pull my phone out and turn the grill on. Actually, I can be anywhere in the world and control the grill. It sends me push notifications when pre set temps are achieved. If I want to cook meat at multiple temps, say 225° until the internal temp gets to 150°, then 300° till the internal temp hits 165°, I can program that and it will do it automatically. Once the 165° is reached, it turns off and the meat can rest for a bit. I can still monitor the meat temp, when the grill is off. I have only used it a couple times but so far, it is a winner. One notable downside, I contacted GMG after getting the grill, to ask about weather, they said the front control panel is not totally waterproof. The grill is technically 12v power, there is a transformer box that is external to convert the 110 power. The GMG rep said they were not sure how weatherproof that was either. I have a waterproof cover to go over everything but I am not sure what I will do if it starts raining while in use. One notable upside, since it is 12v, it is very portable and can easily be powered by a car/truck. I am not sure how much we will take it with us on trips. We have a folding charcoal grill that woks really well for camping in the van.

C0BC027A-CC51-4509-AC5C-782F70A3A921.jpeg
So mine was finally delivered and I waited to try it out until I bought a cart for it (3 tray cheapie from HF). I put everything together, loaded some pellets into it and fired it up, went through the wifi connections (quite the PITA, with little information in the user manual about the app and getting it connected, had to watch their video which also was not all that helpful). Got it going, left it at 150° for a little while and all seemed well. Moved it up to 210° to help burn off the manufacturing leftovers as directed in the manual, was sitting reading a dicking around with the wifi connection and after about 5 to 10 minutes at 210° it suddenly, with no added pellets or increase in fan speed, started rising in temp to over 300°.

That's not cool, so I turned it off and let it sit until the temp came down. Tried it again later and it did the same thing after being on at 150° for a few minutes. Of course it was the weekend and today is a holiday so I can't call their support, but I did a little more research and it seems I'm not the only one who has had this problem. Have you experienced anything like that?

I spent a few hours with it yesterday learning more of its nuances and finally got the wifi to work, though not with much help from their support pages online or the user manual which doesn't explain squat about how to get the firmware updates and connect a device that does not come with a WPS button (or similar auto-connect method). I literally had to roll the cart and smoker inside my house to get it within 20 feet of the router as required by the online support pages, only because I had no simple way of getting power to it outside the window nearest the router (plus it was a lot more comfortable).

Got the firmware updated, ran through it a couple times to be sure, then rolled it back outside and fired it up. I learned that, at least with mine, you have to take the temp up above where you want it to be and then lower it to the temp you want, otherwise if you start low and then take the temp up a fair amount it sometimes goes off like a runaway train ending up 60° to 80° or as much as 100° above even without it feeding more pellets for whatever reason.

Did some brats as a first try, used the probe and monitored the internal temp and they turned out pretty nice. Going to do either a pork roast or a chicken next, depends on what I can find at the store later.

20230619_175036.jpg

20230619_175131.jpg

So I've used my GMG Trek 6 times now, getting better with each use. I'm learning the nuances and have found the way to avoid the runaway temps. I've done brats, Uncle John's sausage, burgers, a beer can chicken, a pork loin and meatloaf. The chicken was old, sat in the freezer for far too long and it was a tad tough in places because of it, but the pork loin and meatloaf turned out awesome along with the brats, burgers and sausage.

meatloaf.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh