What's new

- Week Sooner Adventure Ride-Oklahoma

Jay547

Member Number
If no one else will post ride reports, I guess I will. I thought I had already posted this one.

Sooner Adventure Ride 2022

October 29th and 30th, I did the annual Sooner Adventure Ride. It’s a two-day, dual-sport ride along mostly dirt roads in central Oklahoma. It’s based out of the Seaba Station Motorcycle Museum on Route 66 in Warwick, Oklahoma. It includes three single-track sections that add about twenty-two miles of off-road riding. I didn’t get a lot of pic’s this time because I was just too busy riding.

Saturday’s ride was an afternoon-only event. I rode with my riding buddy Mike Carpenter, who lives in the same town as me. We were bored waiting around for the official start so we left early, before the group. The single-track section was short but fun.

QWhVXzT.jpg

We went off-route here to see this washed-out bridge.

mhYummP.jpg

vpeJTvu.jpg

The 1924-built bridge over the Deep Fork River.

bkYDuaU.jpg

We finished the ride early so I asked Mike if he wanted to go see another bridge that I knew of. He agreed. This one is a railroad bridge.

L2xVcbW.jpg

8OEkL0B.jpg

2JPP0z9.jpg

We wanted to ride to the other side of it but we had to mostly make our own trail to it.

QAM9Fd7.jpg

o5GCavh.jpg

We ended the day’s ride here.

1A3ahia.jpg

After the ride, they catered pizza and showed a movie – Little Fauss and Big Halsey. I had never seen it. It was terrible but entertaining in a drive-in B movie kind of way.

PR8toAn.jpg

TXw4xzT.jpg

After the movie, I headed for my motel room and Mike slept in his truck. He wouldn’t admit it but I bet he regretted it as the temp dropped to about 40 overnight.

In53b3f.jpg

N5QWsCE.jpg

Sunday would be a full day’s ride. We had a rider’s meeting with raffle. I didn’t win anything.

h0fODnP.jpg

I'd like to have this rig.

sTRYEaW.jpg

This day we started with a group of seven. The guy on the Indian is Guy Cooper’s nephew. He hauls.

iHgbQBn.jpg

The bunny suit guy rode a Grom. He wasn’t in our group.

b44InQc.jpg

I tried to get a pic of each of our guys as they crossed the dam of a lake.

knxZ9an.jpg

xnPA0zX.jpg

WGWv8VP.jpg

Shortly after the dam, we came to one of the single-track sections. We lost a couple riders here.

jVhcLZW.jpg

We regrouped at the gas stop.

egURhHg.jpg

The next single-track section was a long one on Guy’s property. The dirt was soft from a recent rain and I really sucked here. I kept over-steering and climbing out of the ruts. I tested my right hand-guard against a tree. The tree didn’t budge. After my fall, I lost the group and rode alone the rest of the way to Cooper’s place.

Guy’s #4 1990 125cc National Championship bike.

UUgxzVl.jpg

A few miles from Guy’s place, we took an off-route detour through the Stillwater 500 - a five hundred acre off-road riding area. This area was more dry and harder packed which better suits my style. We did about six miles of trails here and I was able to run with the top two guys and we gapped the others.

The rest of the ride was all county roads. A couple guys peeled off early so Mike and I took the lead. The others apparently didn’t want to ride our pace, so we ended up finishing by ourselves.

This was my second time doing this ride. They are planning to do a spring ride next year too. I am planning to be there.

eklgJ86.jpg

Sounds like you were disappointed in the movie...I thought it had some hilarious moments, especially the rural Oklahoma scenes with Little's parents and Halsy constantly brushing his teeth with his trusty pocket tooth brush.

Halsy Knox: "If that's friendship, I'm aghast!"

Nurse: "Miss Nebraska, your um, husband is here to see you."

Little Fauss: "I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life, then I fell off."

Halsy Knox: "You know, sometimes when I'm drunk... .. I really think that they're princesses, and then I wake up and they're just pigs.
LIttle Fauss: I just figured you like pigs"

Sorry, Jay. We canceled the Spring Rally. Gerald and I didn't have time to get it all set up. We're planning it for next year though.

Good write up about our event. Thanks!

Top Bottom Back Refresh