What's new

- Week Taiwan

cabanza

Member Number
My wife and I spent Thanksgiving week. This is just a little tease:

F_nbdvQasAAE-Vo?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Alright here we go:

We spent one week in Taipei, Taiwan. We flew on Friday night from Houston and landed in Taipei on Sunday morning. It's a direct flight: 16 hours of flying plus 14 hours time difference (they are ahead of us).

We took the train from the airport. Everything is written in English. It's quite simple even if you don't speak Chinese (like me).
'
F_TOHJ_bUAASgF9?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Our first stop was at the Honda dealership in Taipei. They are open 7 days a week. Sweet. Here's the website for Honda Taiwan:

Honda Taiwan does not offer as many models as I thought. Surprisingly, they only sell larger scooters. I'm not sure why and I didn't get to ask but they do not sell any small scooters. So no PCX, no ADV, etc. It's however possible to import one and register it.

F_TOQGcbMAAjz5G?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

They have all the good stuff us Americans drool over: the Forza 350, the ADV 350, the Forza 750, the X ADV 750... The salesman told me they order a certain number of bikes for the year and that's it. The X ADV 750 was sold out until next year for example.

Hornet 750
F_TOQGcbUAAthk6?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Forza 750
F_TOQD9aMAAYG27?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

ADV 350 (so freaking cool!)
F_TOVSDaMAAKEpm?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Taipei is made for scooters. Scooters outnumber cars by a vast majority. They are everywhere. Most people ride a 50 to 150 cc scooter. There are larger scooters but you don't see too many of them. There is a large number of electric scooters as well. More on that later on.

The streets and street parkings are full of scooters. It's row after row after row of scooters. The stoplight is like the drag strip for scooters. They actually have their own space at the front, well marked on the ground, so that when the light turns green, they can pull away. It's really fun to watch.

F_WxLlGboAAhSgH?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_TOVR9bMAALOUX?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_cEEF2aAAAtI6A?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Riding isn't easy. There are lanes where speed is regulated. 30 km/h (20 mph), 50km/h (30 mph) will also determine where you ride. People are very disciplined and will go where they need to be. Cameras are all over the place so if you run a red light, you'll get a ticket. More on that later when I mention my rental. Parking for scooters is free is some areas only so you can also get ticketed when parked.

Kymco and Sym make up the bulk of scooters. Yamaha is well represented as well. This really makes me wonder about Honda. What happened? If Yamaha can be successful in Taiwan, Honda should be as well. It may have to do with where the scooters are produced. Perhaps Yamaha manufacture some of their scooters in Taiwan?

There's a fair amount of Vespas but the small frame ones. The Sprint is a favorite.

F_WxQTwagAAT1o-?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_cD28aaIAAF1yZ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Somebody got a ticket!...
F_cD28iawAAUPMO?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_cEEF0a4AAp4UM?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_cEEF5acAAtpzO?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_cENSgbMAAim8f?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_cENSbaUAAo7g0?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_cEQmlaIAAIi9y?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

There's one vehicle that's not a scooter that I thought deserved its own post: the Suzuki Jimny. It's beyond cool. I think it'd make a great city car in the US. They are sold in Mexico... At a premium!

F_cEQmsaAAAInD0?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_cEQmpaAAAoQgj?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_TOVR7akAAmtrQ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Gogoro is an electric scooter maker. They are the one who developed the swappable battery. Gogoro makes up for about 15% of all scooters. That's a lot. There are battery stations all over the city. It's really easy to use. Pay with your card, swap your batteries, and go! No fuel, no mess, no waiting time. I am sold on this system. Will we see it in the US? That's hard to tell. Someone would have to partner with an existing company and install those battery stations ala Redbox. But I think we are several years behind Taiwan on this one.

F_cEQmjbsAA4RmM?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_gy0aAaQAAiGvF?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_gy0Z-bAAAdC4y?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_gy0aAakAAxRj6?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_gy0Z9akAAnk7P?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

There are several models to choose from. There is even a ride share program.

F_WxQT1aAAA3Jtq?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_cEEF0b0AA4a66?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_cEgy2akAEWjkc?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Okay so I rented a bike. Yay! The process was fairly simple with one detail: the deposit. They charge you a given price based on the cylinder size of the bike. It was $1,600 (yes US dollars) for the CB350. Here's the thing: they actually charge your credit card and they will keep the money for about 4 weeks. Why? The road system. Motorcycles aren't allowed on highways. There's a complicated network of roads. Depending on the color of your plate, you can ride on a certain number of roads. If you find yourself on the wrong road, you get a ticket. Well, the bike gets a ticket. And since the bike is registered to the rental agency, they have to pay the ticket. This is why they charge your credit card and keep the money for a while. They need to make sure you didn't get a ticket that they end up having to pay. So they keep your money and if you got a ticket, they will refund your deposit minus the ticket. I wasn't a fan of the system but, hey, was I gonna pass up the chance to ride a CB350? I don't think so. The transaction is done through PayPal. Everything was good. They are very friendly and helpful.

That bike looks amazing in person!

F_nNH6saEAAiwrm?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_nNH66aAAAzKAL?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I had the bike for one day starting at 11 am until 9 pm. I didn't want to ride at night so it limited my time in the saddle until about 5 pm to so. That's still plenty of time anyway. The bike was $39 including all fees. Not bad!

My plan was to ride up a mountain and come back. That didn't happen. As I mentioned, the network of roads is complicated to navigate and while I have experience riding in other countries (Mexico, France, and Spain), I was defeated by the Taiwanese road system. I got turned around a few times and eventually got lost. I didn't have a GPS so that made things more complicated. In the end, my wife and I had fun. What I should have done was not have a destination and just ride. But even then, we had a blast.

I was able to get the bike up to 60 mph or so. It felt planted. The torque is always present and helps you when you need it. It's not a rocket and it doesn't need to be. It's just an engine in a frame with 2 wheels and a handlebar. It's simplicity really makes a big part of its charm. The engine has a lovely grunt without being obnoxious. Honda should sell that bikes in other markets than India and Japan. They should sell it here. It's a perfect beginner's bike and it's a great backroad or city bike. C'mon Honda! You know we want it!

F_nM6_sbQAAx2C9?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_nM_1bbQAAE6OK?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_nNH6tbIAA0qdY?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

F_nNH6tbgAAVl8_?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

One week goes by quick. We had a blast! I would recommend to anyone to go visit Taiwan. People are very friendly, it's easy to get around using the bus and subway. Everything is close by. The food is really good. Lots of scooters and bikes and you get to ride them if you want. Sure, it's a little challenging but there are ways to simplify the process.

I had wanted to ride a CB350 since it first came out. I couldn't believe the bike was available to rent. I'm so glad I did. it's really fun and now I want to go to India and buy one (yeah, right!). One can dream...

You posted a lot of great pics. Thanks for doing that. While I liked all the pics, there was one that I really liked and wish we had here in the US.

f_ceef2aaaati6a-format-jpg-name-large-jpg.65693

I know, we'll never see that here but I can dream.

Top Bottom Back Refresh