What's new

The Official Ducati Thread

I've had roughly a dozen Ducatis over the last several years. Here's a picture of when the garage was the most crowded. The 916 was a project that I never intended to keep, but I should have. Second pic is the 916 when it was finished.

2020-03-21 10.52.54.jpg

2020-05-03 19.18.12.jpg

I sold the ST3s so I could afford to keep the Muti, which I still have. And finally another one I wish I'd kept, 2005 999. What a beast!

IMG_3051.JPG

I forgot to add one. I'd lusted after this model for many years and in the Spring of '18 stumbled upon this bike for sale by its original owner. He'd kept ALL paperwork, service records, EVERYTHING since day 1 of ownership. A 2004 1000 SSDS in near perfect condition. After acquiring it, I rode it a bit then had it fully serviced and while I loved the bike for what it was, it wasn't the bike for me. Sadly, this bike isn't well suited for a 6-1 225# old guy. At one point I gave serious consideration to putting it on static display in my home then thought it best to part ways. Despite my full disclosure about its ergonomics, the next owner had to learn my lesson the hard way. I had the SS for 19 months, he owned it two months before selling it to a guy older than me.

Here's a pic taken in my driveway:
DSC00364-X2.jpg

DSC00366-X2.jpg

And here's a pic taken by the guy I sold it to. Not long after getting it, he took it to a weekly bike gathering where some yahoo sidled up to it and gave the SS his seal of approval:
jay%20leno-XL.jpg

Nice looking Ducs in this thread. Here's mine. '20 Monster 1200S bought new in Aug 2021. Man, I really love this bike. Ducati first got on my radar as a spry 24-year old reading Hunter S. Thompson's Song of the Sausage Creature in the March 1995 edition of Cycle World. Finally bought one 27 years later---better late than never!! I've had several fast bikes before, but I've never experienced the power/handling combo this bike has. It's very seductive to say the least. Plus that amazing sound! Wait, this is a Ducati thread---everybody here already knows that... :lol3 I had the Termignoni exhaust and the ECU flash done at the dealer. Other than that, the mods have been mostly ergonomic. I found the stock seat to be a Weapon of Ass destruction, so I replaced it with a Corbin. Pricey, but it changed the Monster from a 100-mile max day to a 400-mile a day bike. Added the Rizoma lowering pegs for an inch more leg room. That, plus the slightly taller Corbin seat made a world of difference for my 6-foot, 240-lb frame. Added the Rizoma bar end mirrors too because 1.) I liked the look and 2.) the stock mirrors always slip rearward when cruising at high speed (I was scared to tighten them any more into the soft aluminum threads). Finally, I just fitted a set of Marchesini forged aluminum wheels in November. Been busy traveling for work and haven't gotten a chance to road test them yet. Hope to get out for a test ride soon.

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. - HST

DSC04107.JPG

DSC04403.JPG

DSC05901.JPG

DSC05910.JPG

Last edited:
Nice looking Ducs in this thread. Here's mine. '20 Monster 1200S bought new in Aug 2021. Man, I really love this bike. Ducati first got on my radar as a spry 24-year old reading Hunter S. Thompson's Song of the Sausage Creature in the March 1995 edition of Cycle World. Finally bought one 27 years later---better late than never!! I've had several fast bikes before, but I've never experienced the power/handling combo this bike has. It's very seductive to say the least. Plus that amazing sound! Wait, this is a Ducati thread---everybody here already knows that... :lol3 I had the Termignoni and the ECU flash done at the dealer. Other than that, the mods have been mostly ergonomic. I found the stock seat to be a Weapon of Ass destruction, so I replaced it with a Corbin. Pricey, but it changed the Monster from a 100-mile max day to a 400-mile a day bike. Added the Rizoma lowering pegs for an inch more leg room. That, plus the slightly taller Corbin seat made a world of difference for my 6-foot, 240-lb frame. Added the Rizoma bar end mirrors too because 1.) I liked the look and 2.) the stock mirrors always slip rearward when cruising at high speed (I was scared to tighten them any more into the soft aluminum threads). Finally, I just fitted a set of Marchesini forged aluminum wheels in November. Been busy traveling for work and haven't gotten a chance to road test them yet. Hope to get out for a test ride soon.

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. - HST

DSC04107.JPG

DSC04403.JPG

DSC05901.JPG

DSC05910.JPG
Those wheels do look nice! My 2018 S looks almost the same as yours, except for the fender kit. I’m usually it a fender kit kinda guy but the Evotech on mine really cleans the back of the bike up well.

And I sprang for the Ducati Comfort Seat. It’s ok but I’m thinking of going back to the OEM.

Nice looking Ducs in this thread. Here's mine. '20 Monster 1200S bought new in Aug 2021. Man, I really love this bike.
Tee hee hee.... I had a 2015 1200S. The first time I cracked it to WOT I literally said "Holy shit!" and started giggling. And then did it about five more times. It felt a but childish but then I was watching a guy review one on Youtube, he cracked the throttle, and said "Holy shit!" so I felt better about it.
Awesome bike. I sold mine for a couple of silly reasons but it remains one of my favorite bikes.

I now have a Street Fighter V2. I like it even better than the Monster, but it doesn't have that "Holy shit!" torque like the 1200S did. It actually has a few more HP than the 1200 but nowhere near the torque. Completely different riding experience.

It seems I've already posted in this thread but there have been a couple updates since then. First of all I started searching for a nice M900 but instead of the near stock, good condition Monster I expected to find I ended up coming home with a POS, beat to hell 900ss track bike. Because I'm an idiot, that's why.

And then I decided the V85TT I had bought wasn't cutting it and I needed to get back to all Ducatis, all the time. When the V2 Streetfighter was announced I put a deposit on one. That meant selling the V85. So I put up some ads, and said "NO TRADES" cuz I needed the money for the V2 SF, right?

So of course I got offered trades. First was a bunch of literal garbage that made me want to reach through the screen and slap the guy for even proposing it. I'm still annoyed buy his offer.

THEN... then... oh man, then I got another trade offer. This one had a story. I still needed money for the SF so I intended to say no dice but as I was writing the reply my view softened and I asked for pictures and more info...

Long story short, after a few weeks of trading info and running some numbers, this ended up in my garage.
Side_5477.jpg

Did I mention I have a HUGE soft spot for Super Lights? Did I tell the story of how I stood and stared at one at my local dealer when they came out? How I've regretted not buying it ever since? This one had sat unused for about 20 years so needed TLC, but come on. Look at it. How could I say no? The POS track bike was getting very close to being useable again, but the minute this showed up the trackbike became a donor bike. It's new belts, it's uncracked aluminum swingarm, it's Ohlins shock and a few other goodies were unceremoniously stripped off and offered up to the SL. The trackbike then got stuffed in a corner to await it's day in the sun.. which may well never happen at this point.
Stored_5534.jpg

So now I had an SL. And no V85. And a Street Fighter on the way. Sometimes sacrifices need to be made. The 851 would have to go. I placed the ad right around midnight one night. I thought it might take a few weeks to sell. It was sold before 1am. The next morning two more guys had posted they'd take it if the first deal didn't go through. Apparently I didn't ask enough for it...

The day the SL deal was sealed, my wife walked into the garage as I was admiring my new toy. She seemed a little annoyed when she asked "So you traded a bascially new Moto Guzzi for a 20 year old Ducati?"

I replied "NO! I traded it for a 30 year old Ducati!" She didn't think that was as funny as I did but she didn't say anything else. Or at least I don't think she did. I dunno. Holy cow the undertray hasn't even been drilled let alone cut!

And then I picked up the Streetfighter.
SF_7595.jpg

And took it down to Deals Gap.
DealsGap_7925.jpg

It is an amazing bike. I had a 2015 Monster 1200S that I really liked. It was probably the best streetbike I had owned to that point. but I sold it anyway, in part due to I just didn't want to change the belts on it. Well, pay for it's first major service really. So yeah, I sold it. The Street Fighter is an even better streetbike IMHO. It worked SO well doewn south. But the one thing it does NOT have compared to the Monster is the torque Not even close. Not at all a torque monster like the Monseter was. Oh wait... there's another thing the Street Fighter doesn't have. CAM BELTS! But I'm rambling.

I finally got the SL road worthy at the end of the season, just in time for the local "ALL Clubs Day" in Stockbridge, MI. I put a whopping 75 miles on it before it went back into storage but hopefully next season it'll see more use.

IMG_6349L.jpg

AllClubs_7931.jpg

It's coming up on a year since this thread has seen a new post. That is unacceptable.

Do NOT make me go buy another one just to keep this thread going. Go buy a Ducati and post it here ya freeking slackers!

Then again, I could use something more touring oriented... or that new single cylinder Hyper looks lke fun... and my wife is leaving me unattended for a few hours this afternoon...

Ok, fine. I didn't buy a new bike while my wife was away so I'll post an update on my 900ss trackbike.

In a previous post I mentioned it had become a donor for the Super Light. I have since gotten back to putting it in running condition so progress is being made.

I made both the wheels the correct color before putting new tires on. I tore down the engine to fix shimming issues. Resprayed the steel swingarm to make it more presentable and put that in place. Hopefully fixed a carb issue it had. Or the SL had, before I stole the carbs off this bike for that. And then I went down a rabbit hole of 3D printing parts for this.

It all started when I decided to get with pod filters and delete the broken airbox. Then I needed a place to mount the coils. Many rolls of filament and one new printer later I decided enough was enough and moved on. So now it has a plate to block the pod filters from spray off the front wheel (my original re-location point for the coils), a battery tray that accepts the coils and ignitors (after telling someone I coudn't do that), and just for good measure a rear hugger that fits a 180 section tire because I didn't want to cut a mount off a stock hugger.

So now it looks like this. Yesterday I reclaimed the Ohlins shock off the Superlight to put back on this - the SL got it's stock shock back since it will never be ridden in anger anyway.

Status_7797.jpg

General view of the "final" battery box design. Coils are mounted underneath it.
BattBox_7800.jpg

I really want to get this thing done, A) To have a trackbike for next season and 2) so I can work on other projects that have been ongogin for WAY too long.

<snip>

Then again, I could use something more touring oriented... or that new single cylinder Hyper looks lke fun... and my wife is leaving me unattended for a few hours this afternoon...

I TOLD you I was thinking about something more touring oriented. Found a low mile Multistrada and couldn't resist. Took it out for a run last week. (It's the white one, the RS belongs to a friend who was also on his first ride with it).

Multis.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh