What's new

The streetfighter thread.

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
Talk about post pictures discus techniques accesories ideas and your plans or aspirations set up power mods turbo builds insane builds and anything else regarding this home breed class of bike.

Talk about post pictures discus techniques accesories ideas and your plans or aspirations set up power mods turbo builds insane builds and anything else regarding this home breed class of bike.
Fighters rock...Matty give some pic or videos of your favorite fighters or fighter combos.

I have a rolling chassis of a 1991 fzr600. Weighs 150lbs without power. I have small block gx200 mounta I made. But Zabel engine? The high powered gx clones pump 1hp to lb of engine weight.

Hence stalemate. Fighters need 4s. A naked Busa with 805 and renthals is a dirt fighter Add turbo and ..beyond fighter..adv fighter..add the most beautiful Mexican Aztec blanket. And throw away you cell phone...aka adv fighter...shinkos and renthals =adv fighter

My 1981 Yamaha XS1100 Streetfighter...about 10 or so mods on this thing including a 1179cc big bore kit..105 hp dynoed...Kerker exhaust sounded bitchin'..what a hoot to ride...
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

My friend had an 1982 1100 maxim. I had a gs750l. It was good times. He passed away a few years ago.I bought a 1981 xj 550 in 2017. Used it as a winter beater. Still have it. Never thought of as a streetfighter. But definitely a great ujm. The 1100 was one of the greatest 4 cylinder have ridden. A fz1 with a Dale walker kit was maybe as close to to fighter and what a hoot.

Yami should take the R1 and give it the strom treatment. Adv fighter. Zook just attempted this! 1000cc 4 cylinder all roads bike! Yup..

I use to think street fighter, rat fighter, tracker...ect

Now it is only 1000cc 4 cylinders advfighter. Basically a wide handlebar flat seat fighter with shinkos and a skidplate..

I have an '82 XS-400, but its a bit low on power to be a streetfighter, more of a "street-a-little-annoyed" sort of thing. But its a pleasant ride, great for a calm back-roads ramble and so easy to work on.

In wanted to fighter this CB1100F but gave up. Converted to mono shock using full F3 CBR suspension and running gear. FZ07 rearsets and some other things I can't remember. I think these are beautiful bikes, but even after shaving 75lbs off the bike I couldn't get it under 500lbs so I lost interest. The Weight Nazi in my couldn't justify dropping any more money on it.

TJ7N4CX.jpg

Modern advfighter add tires...ya I know street fighte thread. This bike should have some interest! Still want the r1 meets xt version.

But stuntfreaks nailed this long ago..a fighter should be capable of any challenge..with a late night part swap...I get it "street" fighter...ghost riders stripped down turbo busa wheelie bike is a true street fighter!

But what the heck is a modern fighter? Tft kills it!

The evil laugh is "fighter" not the tires!

Probably my favorite fighter. Partially because a friend built it. Machined the spars and bent the tubes with a tubing bender he made. Frame swinger and yokes built from scratch. Fuel injected GSXR 1000. Hand-laid bodywork.
gsxr16.jpg

Mostly love it because it gets used.

drovers.jpg

Luggaged up to go run the TT

trial run.jpg

Not sure what the world wide definition is of a streetfighter exactly so will explain my take on it and the history behind the bikes .
Supose it all started for me here in the Uk and even saw a similar trend in NZ in the 80s.
By the late 80s the Suzuki GSx750s were about and zzrs cbrs etc . the streetfighters were ubiquitously based on fallen sports bikes the idea with relatively expensive to replace plastics being smashed or scuffed strip the bike naked and drill or replace the top yokes and fit clamps and trail/ trials bike ussualy renthal handle bars, leaving the rear sets which fr me personaly made for a very comfortable riding/ handling position very flickable and easy to boss in tight turns or get sideways slide wheelie etc etc.
My first ventures into fighters were GSx750s and then GSx 750 with Gsx 1100 engines the popular 7/11 mixture which was a good combo and ubiquitous here.
I did a couple of ZX7s these were performers for me both power weight and relative cheapness of build, i did a 96 ZX7r in 1998 it was great, i liked it so much i got an import ZX9 and sold the ZX7 for decent profit, but the ZX9 was not set up for Uk and no carb heaters it used to splutter and stumble in bad weather and was a fail as a year round daily.
Sold the ZX9 and went on the hunt for an R1 i so wanted one of these being a staunch yamaha fan and all. but instead i unearthed a offed ZX10 an early one and it suprisingly turned out much better ride than the ZX9 ever was. About 2005 i went back to Zx7rs and built a steady string of them i rode hard and sold on ussualy at some profit.
By 2005 i was back in new zealand and my own streetfighter built from a ZX7R again saw me as my main bike for several years until i came back here again in 2013.
I always ran a trail bike ussualy honda XL500 600 or even a 250 motorsport in Nz but as a streetbike the typical streetfighter was ideal for me.
I sold my last streetfighter build was a ZX7R and i sold it post covid and have been looking for something else more or less since then but not vigarously.
I would like a 600 class or a fire blade perhapse, but a R1 would be my ideal donor but i am never glued to any plan and ill go with what i find when the right bike materialises . hell i might even go ZX7 R again.
never looked at turbos but thought about an XJ900 turbo build but just do not have the motivation for XJ900 build and thats when i got a bike and tons of parts too. Just not wjhat i want to do. A little FZ600 yamaha could be a go as too a thunder cat etc, i like the 600 yamahas very comfortable and compitent bikes the fazers.

Exactly like you described. But it was such a short period of time in the US. We got sumo and plus the stunt craze took off. Then the dreaded years of crappy Cafe builds. Also more factory bikes were filling the void of turn key fighters. Most proper street fighters were built outside the US.

The street fighter scene never took off here. Some great builds were just track day bikes. Now our affordable sportbike selection has dwindled some. I always liked the concept. And we did have some part suppliers for things such as triple clamps with handle bar clamps. Also some bikes might fit but got labeled as standards or cafes.

I always viewed these as some of the original street fighters, the idea of a fighter is making the best of start you've got in regards to performance, so it's pretty open-ended, I reckon.

Attack choppers are cool. If brutal acceleration is your thing then a stretched, slammed big block Jap bike with a dropped seat is a damn good anti-wheelie giggle factory.
IMG-20231213-WA0004.jpg

That is a ujm cruiser fighter..ha. attack chopper sounds cooler. The early 90s we would call it a drag bike.

I always viewed these as some of the original street fighters, the idea of a fighter is making the best of start you've got in regards to performance, so it's pretty open-ended, I reckon.

Attack choppers are cool. If brutal acceleration is your thing then a stretched, slammed big block Jap bike with a dropped seat is a damn good anti-wheelie giggle factory.
IMG-20231213-WA0004.jpg
The drag cruiser or muscle fighters were termed over here, the big old v max brutes were popular and hopped up metric cruisers butchered into drag cruisers or drag bobbers. I acctualy have a Miniture drag bobber, a 93 kawasaki EN500A3 (Vulcan) a Girls bike i supose cbut supose i must have a femenine side or something i love that little bike, its fast low clight and corners well for a metric cruiser and puts many real cruisers to shame power to weight ratio being up there with a sports bike be it with an unaerodinamic naked bike which hinders top speed some what. I must say for a low super easy bike to ride its insane and i think its a keeper. A half decent of the shelf new factory buy would be a Kawasaki vulcan s 650. Now one of them stripped down for weight would be a Mini muscle cruiser worth owning and think of all the race tunning bits for that 650 twin engine too.

Top Bottom Back Refresh