What's new

Third Eye Design inView helmet light Installation Issue

Andy Cote

Member Number
Anyone using a Third Eye Design inView on their 2001-17 Goldwing? If you have, please reach out, whether it works properly or not.

I have been working an issue with David Werner, founder of Third Eye Design and we have reached an impasse.

BLUF – 12 volts from battery directly to inView Plus turn signal input wire and turn signal works correctly. 12 volts from battery thru relay triggered from bike’s turn signal and light works okay by itself but goes solid or off when brake light is activated.

Details. The helmet light has both brake and directional lights. The light is designed to have solid red when braking but when the amber turn signal is activated, the red lights on that side should go out. There is a motorcycle side to the unit that connects to power, ground, brake, both turn signals and communicates with the light. Both units also communicate with a phone APP using Bluetooth.

The brake light works exactly as expected. The turn signal works exactly as expected. Problem comes when they are used together. The brake side goes out when the turn signal is on but the amber turn signal either goes out or goes solid (not flashing). Once turn signal is turned off, red returns on both sides of the light. If the light is tested from the APP, it works perfectly. When looking at the motorcycle unit in the APP, the phone display shows everything working correctly and unit is transmitting the proper signal to the light.

The unit has a built in flasher function with some type of delay so that the helmet turn signal is controlled internally. You can connect a steady 12v to the turn signal input and the helmet light should flash. Tried this and everything works properly.

Using Posi-taps, I originally tapped into the turn signals and brake signal on the bike side of the trailer isolator then switched to the trailer side thinking the isolator relays would filter out any stray voltage. No change. Then I used a common 30 Amp automotive relay, triggered from this same signal and powered directly from the battery. No change. I can hold this relay in my hand and feel the switching. This is as clean as I can get with the turn signal. I can’t see where any stray signals could be getting to the inView.

Just for grins, I connected both the inView power and the brake input signals directly to the battery with the turn signal powered thru the above relay. No change.

Bike is a 2015 with full LED conversion; everything SoCal except Kuryakyn trunk handle, Muth mirrors, Add-On sequential directionals/brake lights that mount on the rear speaker pods and lower cowl lights are BBP Tridium. I know the Tridium can sometimes cause trouble with other LEDs. During troubleshooting, I unplugged the mirror lights completely which disconnects the SoCal switchback sequential lights, the Muth sequential lights and the Tridium cowl lights. This has no effect. Directional/Hazard flasher is the electronic one from SoCal that came with the switchback turn signals.

Bike has a Signal Dynamics brake light flasher that works on spoiler, trunk handle, Add-On lights and the F6B style center brake lights; this is not connected to the trailer isolator. Also has a Kisan headlight modulator but that only works on high beam and all above was done with low beam only.

Struggling with the source of this problem. The unit itself passes every test that inView has. The turn signal connection is as pure 12 volts as I can figure and works fine with out the brakes on. The red turns off as it should when turn signal is on.

Last edited:
First, that's a shitton of txt to say it doesn't work. Mad amounts of non relevant info. Doubt most have the time / patience to digest all of it.

That said, one novel deserves another.

It sounds the bike is lit up like a Christmas tree. I can tell you from experience, cheap or unshielded leds cause all sorts of com problems with devices.

This is a thing, my 2020 wing FM radio is effectively useless when headlight is on. Works fine on acc pwr with headlight off. Thanks for the fancy ass 2k+ dollar headlight honda... I really love comments about "honda engineering "...

My stupid idea to install shit china leds in my shop took down the garage door opener. If the shop lights are on, the opener doest work.

The point being, I'm pretty sure the opener and my FM on the GW are different freqs types and are both negatively impacted by shit leds in proximity.

Whatever com protocol this helmet thing uses might be affected. If it were me, I'd unplug ALL the light accessories and see if you can make it work.

To be clear and blunt, if it can be made to work absent all the other lights, your probably screwed. The mfg of this helmet thing can't be expected to make compatibility with all the crappy rf created by any given setup. It'd not likely you can sufficiently shield all the led, it's even less possible to adjust the com protocol into something that will/does work.

If you want to pick a fight with the leds on the bike, these are your friend. This is what folks use to fix the garage door problems created by Chinesium leds.

Top Bottom Back Refresh