What's new

+ Week Those Were the Days My friend.

That Yamaha Vision was a real steal. MSRP was $3099 which was high for a 550 at that time and one of the reasons it didn't sell. It was also before its time. The styling was "different". Naked sportbikes wouldn't become popular until the Ducati Monster came out years later. I got it for $1620. Add in a luggage rack and tax and it was an even $1800 OTD!

It was also a very different bike than the GS550E I had before. The motor was torquey. At low rpm it felt and sounded like a V twin but it redlined at 10,000 if I remember right. The steering was also much lighter and quicker than the GS. It was a blast to ride for me. Unlike my previous two bikes I took more than one picture of it.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_vision4_zpsd3c9b1fe.jpg

I put a back pack on the luggage rack. I could carry stuff in the back pack or if it was something too big I just bungeed it on top of the pack.

A pic by a pond in a nearby park.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_vision3_zps725fe23f.jpg

One of my favorite spots to ride to was the local boat launch park. I was interested in boats but I was more interested in the bikini clad babes often found on those boats.:evil

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_vision2_zps30edb2fb.jpg

Too bad I didn't get one of those babes in the pic:sweeti

I had multiple jobs at the time and I met a couple of guys who were interested in bikes. I found a real deal in the classified section of the newspaper for one of them. It was a low mileage, great condition Honda CB350 for 250 bucks. Another guy bought a Suzuki GT380. Now we had a motorcycle gang and my group riding days began.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ohio84_zpsfa784eab.jpg

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_nelson%20ledges1_zps4idxghw2.jpg

The two pics above where taken when we did a really "long" ride out to Nelson Ledges race track to watch a 24 hour endurance race.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_nelson%20ledges2_zpsuhxo1egy.jpg

I still remember the hot bikes of the day on the track. There were a couple of Yamaha FJ1100s which was my dream bike of that time. There was also a Yamaha RZ500, four cylinder two stroke. That 500 was faster around the track than the FJ11s were. I figured it was faster in the curves but then I watched if blow past the FJs on a long straight!

That trip also brought out the inner squid in me. Leaving the track we had to make a left and then go up a long hill. There was a guy on a 750 if I remember right who was right in front of us. I ended up drag racing him up the hill and I won:wings

That was a great summer. I had a new bike. I had some money and I had friends to ride with. Those were the days and I thought that life couldn't get much better.

I was wrong!

I spent a lot of time riding around on my new Vision. I mostly rode by myself. A few times I rode with my friends in the pics in the previous post. I also remember meeting a a guy who seemed to be a real bike enthusiast because he owned FOUR bikes! He had an old CB750, a CBX, an old standard Gold WIng before they added a fairing and another Honda which I can't remember. After a while I realized he was full of shit for a few reasons. His CB750 didn't have a front brake but he claimed he was experienced enough not to need one:loco He also claimed that with different gearing his Goldwing could do 180+:lol3. One day we went riding on some roads that were somewhat curvy. He was on his CBX and I left him in the dust.

I had given my KZ400 to my younger brother and he rebuilt the engine. A friend of his had a Nighthawk 650. We rode together a few times. Here's the three of us. My brother on the right with his girlfriend on the back. I had added a removable fairing to the Vision.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_memarkchris_zpsfa104623.jpg

A family pic with my mom on my KE175 and my dad next to her. They didn't ride they were just posing.

wknudsen_My%20Favorites_FAMILYONBIKES_zps30eb9f95.jpg

Then it was time for another long trip on my bike and a new chapter in my life. It was time to report to AOCS in August. In the movie Officer and a Gentleman Richard Gere rode to AOCS on his motorcycle.

0.jpg

I figured I would do the same. I rode to New Orleans to visit my friends on the way.

wknudsen_My%20Favorites_VISION_zpsda6c7220.jpg

While in New Orleans I ate dinner at a Chinese restaurant and got a fortune cookie that said "A vacation by the sea in store for you" :rofl:rofl:rofl

I rode to Pensacola and reported to AOCS. Contrary to what the fortune cookie predicted, AOCS was NOT a vacation by the sea. It wasn't quite like the movie either. In fact, the Drill Instructor played by Louis Gosset Jr. was a total wimp compared to a real drill instructor. I did get out and ride my bike wearing my whites. Too bad I didn't get a pic of that:(. I'll just have to go with one of Richard Gere.

richard-gere_an-officer-and-a-gentleman.jpg

In the movie Richard Gere fought his drill instructor. I didn't do that because he would have kicked my ass.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_aocs_zpsd24d57f5.jpg

In the movie Richard Gere met a girl and of course if you watched the movie you know how that turned out. I had that covered too!

After graduating from AOCS I now had a job that paid real money. One of the first things I did was buy a car. I also moved to Milton, FL where I would go through primary flight training. So now I had a hot car, Hot girlfriend and ho.....pretty good bike.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_debbiandGLH1985_zps6f4693ad.jpg

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_carandbike1_zpsf0bb72c3.jpg

Life was pretty good. I didn't go on any real exciting rides at the time but then my day job was pretty exciting.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_t-341985_zps2c81e8ba.jpg

After primary flight school there was a backlog of students so there was a wait to continue on. I basically had a 6 week vacation. One of the things I did was pick up a second bike.

wknudsen_My%20Favorites_77GS550E_zpsf6c471b0.jpg

It was a 1979 Suzuki GS550 with a Vetter Quiksilver Fairing and Kerker exhaust. it had 35,000 miles on it and I think I paid 600 bucks for it. I bought it for a learner bike for my girlfriend but that turned out to be a dumb idea. It was to big and heavy. But I enjoyed riding it. The exhaust was a little loud but sounded cool. The fairing was surprisingly effective. It was a very comfortable bike. Although it was the same size motor and approximate weight as my vision, it made the Vision feel like a racy, lightweight sport bike. I liked the contrast between the bikes and the variety. I was now officially hooked into the multiple bike ownership club.

I also took the motorcycle safety course again. I had taken the Navy's MSF course back in Pensacola because it was required to be able to ride on base. It wasn't a very good course and I heard the course out here at Whiting Field was better. I heard right. It was much better. I took it on the old GS550 I had recently bought.Most of the other riders had newer, more modern bikes. I remember one guy with a brand new Ninja 900. He was a foreign student from the middle east. His daddy was probably an oil sheik. So he had this really hot bike but couldn't ride worth shit.

That got me thinking. I was a pretty good rider (or so I thought). Why was I wasn't I riding a better bike? I now had a real job. Why settle for a mediocre bike? Why not buy something really hot?

What were the hot bikes at that time? Flashback to a year earlier before I went into the Navy. 1984 was a pretty exciting year if you were into sportbikes. I subscribed to several motorcycle magazines and remember it well, especially this:

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_fjmag1_zps5d05a637.jpg

Wow, just wow. Then I saw one at a local dealer. The rear tire was so wide
eekers.gif
It almost looked like a car tire. Actually it was only a 150 but at that time it was wider than all the other motorcycle tires. So I spent some time dreaming about it but at $4999 it was going to have to be just a dream.

There were a number of new sportbikes out that year and motorcyclist did a comparison.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_fjmag2_zps8a9d017c.jpg

They ranked the FJ1100 number 1.

So I went bike shopping. I looked and considered a number of bikes. I rode a hopped up GPZ1100. I considered a new GPZ750. In the end I went for the bike I really lusted after.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_fj11_zps63146278.jpg

It was a slightly used 84 Yamaha FJ1100 on consignment at a local dealer. 3200 miles and 3400 bucks if I remember right. So I traded in the Suzuki and was now the proud owner of my dream bike! I also bought my first leather jacket. I didn't want the black biker style jacket so I got a brown members only jacket which was in style at the time. I also graduated from tennis shoes to work boots. Add a full face helmet, some kind of gloves and jeans and I was ready to ride
ricky.gif
ricky.gif
ricky.gif

So now I had a hot car and hot bike. Of course I too a pic.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_carandbike2_zps50b43e92.jpg

For those of you who don't recognize the car. It was a Dodge Omni GLH. The GLH stands for Goes Like Hell:D It was basically an econobox with a hotter engine and much better suspension and wider tires. It was Dodge's answer to the Volkswagon Rabbit GTI.

1985-1986.

This was an exciting time for me. My day job was learning to fly helicopters, I had a HOT Babe for a girlfriend and I had my dream bike:

Picture204-XL.jpg

So, what was it like owning my dream bike?

It was pretty cool. First, I thought this was the best looking bike on the planet. Looking back now I still think it was a great looking bike, better than most more modern and faster sport bikes.

Second, this thing was a rocket! It was way faster than anything I had ridden, or driven before. Twist the throttle, shift a few times and 120+ came up real fast. At that time I was invincible. I had never crashed and never gotten a ticket so I was not afraid to twist the throttle. I was living just off of route 87, north of Milton, FL, right by Whiting Field. Heading North on 87 it was a pretty deserted road. I would often head up that road just to run it up to 120+. A little ways north of there was Route 4. One day I was cruising along at around 80 when I came over a slight rise. The road ahead was straight and I could probably see a couple of miles. I decided what the heck, time to see what this baby would do. So I twisted the throttle and tucked in. I saw 147 on the Speedo then backed off. That was the fastest I have ever gone on a bike
ricky.gif
ricky.gif
ricky.gif

The other thing that I loved about the FJ was that when I was riding it I knew I was on pretty much the fastest thing on the road. There where a few other top of the line motorcycles that could match it but there was no production car in the world that could match it in acceleration. At the time that was important to me and it was a great feeling
rayof.gif

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I was a squid and won't try to deny it
lol8.gif

I didn't spend all my time riding around at 120+. The FJ was a very good bike at lower speeds as well and was pretty comfortable. Leg room was a little tight but I was young and I don't remember it bothering me. The seat was pretty comfortable, both for rider and passenger. It would put the stock seat on almost any modern supersport to shame.

The passenger seat was put to good use. Here's a pic of Debbi and I on a local poker run:

Picture205-XL.jpg

There was one ride I remember well. Debbi's parent's lived in Shalimar, FL about an hour away. I rode over there on Christmas Eve. It was a beautiful day, sunny and 70s. Cruising down I-10 I decided I didn't like the silly 55 MPH speed limit. Since I was invincible I cranked it up to 120 for about 20 miles. This was actually a comfortable cruising speed for the FJ. Then I decided it might be time to slow down. A minute later I saw a cop car
blbl.gif

I was still invincible
wings.gif

Well, not completely invincible. The next day as I headed for home the temperature was 28 and dropping
eekers.gif
Despite being bundled up like the Michelin tire man I froze my ass off!

I wish I had taken more pics of my "day job". This is the best I have:

Picture206-XL.jpg

Looking back now, those really were the days.

So now I had my dream bike but was living in Florida, a state not exactly know for great motorcycle roads. Fortunately I had never lived anywhere with great roads so I didn't know any better.

So I had some fun riding the FJ. One scenic ride I did a few times was the road from Pensacola Beach to Navarre. The road was on a long, narrow strip of sand that was so white it almost looked like snow. Of course it was great having a girlfriend who like riding on the back. Here Debbi poses on the FJ on that road along the beach.

Picture207-XL.jpg

I also met a few other guys in flight school who had bike so we did a few group day rides. We normally rode up to LA. That would be Lower Alabama. The roads weren't that great but again, I had not yet been spoiled by riding any really good roads.

Picture208-XL.jpg

The bikes, in case you don't recognize them. Starting on the left, my FJ1100, a Yamaha 650 turbo, Harley 1000 Sportster and Yamaha Vision.

I remember one ride where there was a long straight ahead of us and the guy on the turbo decided to really twist the throttle. Of course I took that as a challenge and held the throttle wide open and tucked in. I eventually passed him at a pretty high speed although I don't remember how fast we were going. I'm sure it was 130+.

Another pic of the group.

Picture209-XL.jpg

I also remember some rides in the winter when it was really cold. Back then none of us had good cold weather riding gear. Come to think of it we didn't really have any really good riding gear, period.

On another ride we all stopped in some small town and a young lady came up and asked if one of our bikes was a Harley. We pointed to the Sportster and she proceeded to tell us how it was the best one:lol3

I still remember a couple of these guys because I had the chance to ride with them again after leaving Florida. One last pic of the gang.

Picture210-XL.jpg

One last ride memory that sticks in my memory was on a solo ride. I was on Highway 4 on North Florida. It was a two lane straight road with the trees and brush cleared well away from the road. I crested a hill and could see the road ahead for a long ways, probably a mile or more. I was doing 80 or so and decided to see how fast the bike would go. I saw 147 on the speedo before I backed off. That is still the fasted I have gone on a bike. The speed was probably reading a bit high but the tach read 9300 RPM. It was geared for 145 at 9500 RPM so I'm sure I was going over 140.

sorry no photos but an interesting story none the less. My first ride was on a mini bike owned by my friend Bernie when we were 14 around 1968. The district we were living in was new with lots of heavy equipment in the area and a large gas tank on legs. The mini bike ran out of gas so we went to that large tank in the field and fueled up, man did that mini bike smoke black.....I never got to ride Bernies mini bike again :D

My Florida days soon came to end. I finished flight school, got my naval Aviator wings and it was time to move on.

Picture212-XL.jpg

Picture211-XL.jpg

During flight training I had the chance to do a cross country flight out to San Diego. A few days in San Diego and I fell in love with the place. The Navy lets you fill choose where you want to go. Sometimes they give you what you want and sometime they send you where they want. In this case I got what I wanted and I was soon headed for San Diego, and the biggest adventure of my life!

After arriving in San Diego I found a place to stay and had my stuff and my bikes delivered. So now I was in motorcycle wonderland with a Yamaha Vision and Yamaha FJ1100.

Remember that this was back in the days before internet and forums. Other than reading some motorcycle magazines I had no idea what SoCal was like. So I would get on one of my bikes, usually the FJ, and head out of town into the mountains. What an absolute blast:ricky:ricky:ricky. This was so different from any riding I had ever done. Endless curves, great scenery, little traffic and almost no cops. I was just amazed at how great the riding was.

I met a few other guys who rode and soon I was heading out with them. Too bad I wasn't much of a photographer back then. I had a $15 dollar camera and it was somewhat of a PITA to have to wait until a roll of film was finished and then have to take it to get it developed, wait a few days and then go pick it up. Despite this I did take a few pics. Here's a few from my upcoming adventures in SoCal.

Overlooking Lake Henshaw from the Ortega Highway.

Picture213-S.jpg

Also on the Ortega Highway.

Picture214-XL.jpg

Riding with friends.

Picture215-XL.jpg

Having a blast on a curvy road. I believe this was Japutal Lyons Valley Rd.

Picture216-XL.jpg

I had a few months of fun riding and then in August of 1986 I took a short break from riding and flying to go back to Florida and take care of some unfinished business.

I picked up a Spousal Unit, Mark 1, Mod 0, one each.
yelrotflmao.gif

Picture217-XL.jpg

Of course this would have an impact on my riding as I would now often have a passenger.

There were several other guys in the squadron who rode so we did some group rides. We headed out into the mountains to enjoy the endless curves and scenic views.

Taking a break.

Picture222-XL.jpg

Julian, CA was one of our favorite destinations.

Picture223-XL.jpg

I had ridden with some of these riders in Florida and some I met here. I'll go ahead and introduce them. From the left.

Chuck. He only had about 8000 miles of riding experience but rode his Nighthawk S like he was an experienced expert. I think he was just exceptionally well coordinated.

Chris. Riding a Yamaha Vision. You may remember him from my Florida Pics. He was a Marine H-46 pilot stationed at MCAS Tustin. He would ride down to San Diego to ride with us. He was another very talented rider.

Ted. Another one of the "Florida Boys." He rode a 1000 sportster.

Debbi. Passenger extrordinaire. She was a real trooper sitting on the back of a sportbike for 250 miles or so in a day.

Ray and Sandra. Husband and wife in a Gold Wing.

Phil. He was a California native and knew all the local roads as well as local riders. He was riding a K100RS which was not in the pic. He was another very experienced rider.

Although you can't see it. All the bikes on this ride had Florida tags. Someone came up and asked us if we rode all the way from Florida. So of course we said that we had gotten on the road real early that morning
yelrotflmao.gif

Julian was a touristy but really cool little town nestled way up in the mountains. There were several good places to eat and they were famous for their apple pie. Debbi and I ride up there one time for lunch. Debbi wanted to split some apple pie for desert but I had never particularly cared for apple pie. But she twisted my arm and got an Apple pie ALA mode. It only took one bite and then we were fighting over it.
boxe.gif
We nearly stabbed each other with our forks
lol8.gif
I was now an apple pie convert. that was the last time we split a pie there
icon10.gif

Also on this ride we did a little bike swapping. Phil and Ted swapped bikes. Phil, wearing full BMW blue and grey leathers did look out of place on the Sportster.

Towards the end of the ride I swapped with Ted. I took his Sportster and he took my FJ and Debbi. We got on the highway and I thought I was riding a jackhammer
eekers.gif
I don't know how he ride with us all day because we had been riding pretty fast. But then we got off the highway and on to a street with traffic lights and a lower speed limit and suddenly the sportster was in it's element. The motor felt really cool accelerating from a light and then rumbling along at 45 or so. That was my first but not last ride on a Harley. Definitely an interesting experience.
ricky.gif

One day I just happened to stop and talk to a guy on a bike in a local parking lot. We decided to get together and ride some time.

This is Scott and Lynn.(as best as I can remember) They were on a shiny new Ninja 750.

Picture224-XL.jpg

Debbi was tired and taking a short nap. We had a fun ride out to Julian for lunch. Debbi and I got our own Apple pies this time
icon10.gif

One of the spots that I thought was really cool when I visited San Diego back in 85 was Mt Soledad. I drove to it in a Renta Cage. I knew then that it would be better to ride there on a bike. So, one day I did.

Picture225-XL.jpg

I didn't know it at the time but this would be the last pic I took of the Vision. It's days in my garage where numbered. I was mostly riding the FJ but for around town the Vision was actually a more fun ride. The way the V-twin accelerated from lower speeds was just more pleasant than the four cylinder FJ. Despite being far less powerful than the FJ it didn't feel slow at all at the speeds normally used around town.

This cross was on top of a hill with a great 360 degree view. It doesn't look like I took any pics of the view.

The cross on the hill later became the subject of lawsuits by protesters
determined to remove religion from public land. I assumed that it had been removed but a quick check with wikipedia shows that it is still there.
clap.gif
Maybe I'll get the chance to visit it again some day.

More info on Mt Soledad and the cross is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Soledad

The FJ1100 was pretty comfortable for a sportbike, even two up. I think we did some rides up to 250 miles 2 up. However, it was no Gold Wing. The problem was that Gold Wings were for old foggies. Or at least that's how I felt at the time. I figured it would be at least 30 years before I'd consider something like that.

On top of being an old folks bike it was way too expensive.

I don't remember exactly what happened to change my mind but one day I was in the Yamaha dealer and noticed they had these leftover Yamaha Ventures. So I took one for a test ride.

What a revelation
ricky.gif
ricky.gif
The V four engine felt like a small block V-8 and had a nice rumble to it. The steering on the Venture, despite being a 750 pound full dress touring bike, was lighter than that of the FJ
eek7.gif
I'm pretty sure it was mostly due to the wide handlebar. I also read some magazine reviews. They were very positive. I wanted one
wings.gif

I just had to decide between the 83 venture or the 84 Venture Royal. The Royal had a stereo and built in air compressor. It was also more expensive. I went with the standard venture partly to save money and partly because i really didn't see the need for a radio. Riding was entertaining enough. I didn't need a radio to keep from getting bored. The price on this new Venture was $4300. I also traded in the Vision so I paid less than that.

Picture226-XL.jpg

The Vision had been a fun bike and I only put 14,300 miles on it but that would mean I had three bikes. I mean, who owns that many bikes??

Top Bottom Back Refresh