What's new

We ride motorcycles

I rode across frozen lakes on bald dual sport tires. I got a "bright idea" to run hard compound motorcross tires. I ate it on mainstreet on a 37° day within a week of install. On dry pavement!. Best snow tire was a trials front and rear..aired way down ..no screws needed. But I was tempted to put carriage bolts and washers on my 883...no speed limits on the lakes!

Haha my klr kills the logging yard. But I dont want to get that pretty orange paint dirty. Ha my vote for best looking adv bike is the klr..gen3. I am spoiled by a gen1 strom with a madstad setup. Ha and 804/805...but the klr has better susspensiin and is way more relaxed at 45mph in the gravel. With built in low hp traction control. And an 80s style casio like display. Dang led headlight...no wonder I put that beast up!

I believe there was a two riders that went to pruhoe on cbr600 in the wenter.. studs are only needed for racing or over 40 mph on black ice. The coolest ride is watching your healight shine 100yrds off the side of the rd in a 2 wheel drift from a 40mph crosswind . Ha on black ice with no freaking studs or abs.

Jeez sounds ubelievable..

I actually joked today about riding the log pile like the begninning of Rad the movie. This is killing me. Just ride the pile and dont think about it. Ha tons of carnage...but glory....as is braking late and throwing it on an edge. We live for making the turn or riding the impossible. I guess us geezers were half decent at riding and aced survival.

Any o ring chain will not make one Detroit winter. This is so laughable. When it binds soak in cider. I meant oil.

Any o ring chain will not make one Detroit winter. This is so laughable. When it binds soak in cider. I meant oil.
That matches my experience so far. Entering the third winter with my bike it's due for its third chain. I was hoping it could last until spring but no chance.

That matches my experience so far. Entering the third winter with my bike it's due for its third chain. I was hoping it could last until spring but no chance.
My xt chain made it 30k but was soaked......in used motor oil. I have a new chain and sprockets..never installed

The salt makes em rust, or it deteriorates the orings?

The salt makes em rust, or it deteriorates the orings?
I'll be honest I should've read madmx's post more carefully. I don't even know if I have an o-ring chain. I just felt compelled to reply prematurely because he mentioned Detroit. :lol2

So the original chain on my KLX was a Enuma (EK) EK520SRO2. It is an o-ring chain. My current chain is a Enuma 520SRX2 which they call a "Quadra X-ring" so it's not an o-ring chain.

Here's EK's "Cartalog":

My first chain was replaced at about 9,500 miles and saw one winter. My current chain is at about 8,000 miles and has seen one winter also. It's not just the winter or salt that was solely responsible for their demise but it certainly didn't help. I'm still a noob at all this and have made a lot of mistakes but I'm learning. I ran the chain too tight and used harsh cleaners on it earlier on.

For anyone who hasn't experienced salted roads the salt isn't just chunks on the tarmac. When it's wet the water is a brine that gets lifted by other vehicles and turned into a fine mist to really get into every everything. Also, if it doesn't get wet the salt gets pulzerized and lifted by cars as a dust cloud. You can actually taste it sometimes. That fine dust also gets into everything. There are other salts too that are sprayed or applied to the roads. I've heard that some of these are even worse than conventional rock salt.

My O rings had almost no wear. But wore a groove half way through the master link. The salt corroded everything. Never buy a salt vehicle. Might look great but is completely ruined. My rims looked fine. But are ruined. Saw dust is similar and conducts electricity well. Salt water and now saw dust mixed with water have lit me up on 110. Get kinda use to it.

Top Bottom Back Refresh