What's new

- Week Westville, OK to Cove Creek, AR

Jay547

Member Number
Westville, Oklahoma to Cove Creek, Arkansas 10/06/2023

A guy organizing an adventure bike rally in Arkansas asked me to help scout some routes. He set a date, and I scheduled that Friday off work. I never heard back from him, but in the meantime, a Texan that I know who owns property in Oklahoma, asked me to scout a route to Natural Dam, Arkansas. So, I did that instead. I parked my truck at Westville and headed southeast toward Arkansas, along a route of backroads that I thought would be scenic and fun.

Wrights Chapel.

iFjB6bQ.jpg

dixDDCD.jpg

Some bluffs along the way.

ezcPx3h.jpg

2S2TmhC.jpg

No clue what the purpose of this was. It was at a former chicken farm, no auto shop, no salvage…

EboHxgU.jpg

mTzu2Mg.jpg

Low water bridge on the Baron Fork of the Illinois River. The OK/AR state line splits this bridge in half.

4ORCZYT.jpg

I followed the riverbed back into Oklahoma to see how far I could go. I was able to ride about a mile downstream. I was still in Oklahoma, so no banjo music.

4GUa2DM.jpg

CYFyefT.jpg

yXo1Uue.jpg

rBuKY2p.jpg

lxMQbLi.jpg

Back across the river about a mile into Arkansas was the historic Salem Spring.

mpnI0hC.jpg

hpZ0bl1.jpg

I followed backroads for another thirty or so miles to the twin bridges site near Morrow.

C458fTn.jpg

pc7Zghk.jpg

fdpoXV6.jpg

3b1MY6K.jpg

JqF9RLx.jpg

f7hp8ow.jpg

4DkS1AO.jpg

OwjVh5U.jpg

Of course, I rode across it.

diJNJfg.jpg

While riding this two-track farm road, I saw a coyote. About a half-mile later, I saw a roadrunner. Young people won't get it.

YqzkmkT.jpg

I followed Cove Creek until I was within five miles of Natural Dam and turned back there.

bCq7T0H.jpg

UkFSw6k.jpg

ut72gKA.jpg

One of you guys left your Elvis pillow on the creek bank.

1ZQUFar.jpg

Part II to come.

Top Bottom Back Refresh