What's new

Which battery brand?

woods

Yawp.
Mod
ADV+
Member Number
Sportsman 700 needs a new battery. ETX30LA. 400 CCA.

NAPA batteries last maybe a month. All done with them. Amazon has a bunch, but I don't know where to look.

My bikes run NOCO Lithium which has been fine, but forget it with cold weather. ATV is used year round.

Which brands don't suck?

Always had Yuasa batteries with good luck. Bought a Deka for a lawn mower once and it lasted one season. It was the lightest battery I ever felt. I don't think they used much lead in that one.

+1 for Energizer. Had one in my truck for 7 years, which down here is a record since the heat kills them in 2-3 years…

Yausa. Kind'a hit & miss but more hit than miss. Doesn't seem to like the cold too much though.

$180 for a stupid ATV battery. :muutt
Makes a maintenance charger look like a good idea, eh? If you lost any battery in a month, I'd suggest you test the dark current load on that ATV. Critters love to chew on wires.

My Yausa batteries usually last 9-10 years, always on a Optimate III maintenance charger when not in use.

Makes a maintenance charger look like a good idea, eh? If you lost any battery in a month, I'd suggest you test the dark current load on that ATV. Critters love to chew on wires.

My Yausa batteries usually last 9-10 years, always on a Optimate III maintenance charger when not in use.
I have two! A four slot one, and a two slot for the Lithium.

ATV lives outside and its rough, so I can't fault that. Just gets annoying.

I just ordered 2 Yuasa's yesterday.
The batteries in the SV and DRZ are both ~7 years old. The SV battery is a Duraboost brand and is still going strong. I'm just worried that it's going to quit somewhere inconvenient.
The DRZ battery brand I haven't checked yet, but it's not taking/holding a charge well anymore. I actually pushed it home the last time I had it out after the engine stalled and the battery was too weak to crank it.

Optima!! I have only borrowed one!! I should have spectrum analyzed the pulse...$75 or was

I just ordered 2 Yuasa's yesterday.
The batteries in the SV and DRZ are both ~7 years old. The SV battery is a Duraboost brand and is still going strong. I'm just worried that it's going to quit somewhere inconvenient.
The DRZ battery brand I haven't checked yet, but it's not taking/holding a charge well anymore. I actually pushed it home the last time I had it out after the engine stalled and the battery was too weak to crank it.
Drz is a mother to roll start!

I have two! A four slot one, and a two slot for the Lithium.

Solar charger....on top of your cooler or next to your chain saw...atv is a cuss word around here. I cut new trails around their 4ft deep mud holes and always aim through narrow trees. Ha got a few of the kids

Optima!! I have only borrowed one!! I should have spectrum analyzed the pulse...$75 or was
That's about right for the single unit. I used one of those for well over a decade before selling it for $50 and buying a new version due to garage needs changing. The desulphating routine has saved several batteries that were performing poorly and brought them back to life.
3552462E-9DB8-4336-AB5F-6C537AD3B03B_1_105_c.jpeg

Yeah, that's a hard life for the ATV. I used to have one at work that lived in a shipping container w/o power. The desert mice drove me insane with all the wire chewing. I put a lot of poison in that container too. Every day was a new surprise on if it would start or not. Oddly the critters left the ancient golf cart alone, only went after the ATV. Food grade wire insulation maybe?

I'm still using the Battery Tender Jr's. The street bike usually gets plugged in for a month or two while there's snow on the ground and the riding mower gets plugged in over the fall/winter. I haven't had any issues with batteries lasting but I use my stuff often.

I'm wondering if I'm missing out when I see fancy rigs like EricV posted.

I'm still using the Battery Tender Jr's. The street bike usually gets plugged in for a month or two while there's snow on the ground and the riding mower gets plugged in over the fall/winter. I haven't had any issues with batteries lasting but I use my stuff often.

I'm wondering if I'm missing out when I see fancy rigs like EricV posted.
Not that there's anything wrong with having more options or a central panel for multiple chargers, but as long as your individual units are keeping lead-acid batteries fully charged during storage, you're not missing out.

Top Bottom Back Refresh