What's new

Who makes Mesh overpants that zip to hip

TravelinLite

ADV+
Member Number
Looking for a source for mesh overpants that have armor at the knees and the hips, that also have legs that unzip all the way to the hip. Any suggestions who makes them? Looks like Olympia won't be coming back. Thanks.

Thanks Whisperquiet. I have looked and their website several times and they never had any. I just sent them an e-mail yesterday so interested to see what they reply with.

That's my point. I wear a thin pair of hot weather tights to prevent chaffing from armor and boots, but nothing more under mesh pants. I can't think of a time I'd feel the need to remove mesh pants while keeping my boots on, but maybe the OP has a reason.
For many years my only overpants were Aerostich Roadcrafters. I always wore some kind of pants under them because they were bulky enough that I wanted to take them off when I stopped - especially to go into a restaurant. When I bought my first pair of mesh pants I kept wearing some type of pants under them purely out of habit. Then one day it hit me, "what the hell are you doing that for?". Mesh pants are thin enough that I just leave them on when I stop so there's no reason to wear anything other than skivvies or, at most, something thin under them.

Check out the ugliest, safest option at motoport.com
If the ones in stock fit, they're a lot cheaper, and include a waterproof liner.

Well, I ordered and received a pair of off of the shelf (in stock) pants. They didn't fit so I returned them for another size. It turns out that they won't be getting any more of the color I wanted. So the option was to pay the extra for custom fit or cancel the order. I canceled the order.

I will say that Motoport is an excellent company to deal with.

Back to the drawing board.

Well, I ordered and received a pair of off of the shelf (in stock) pants. They didn't fit so I returned them for another size. It turns out that they won't be getting any more of the color I wanted. So the option was to pay the extra for custom fit or cancel the order. I canceled the order.

I will say that Motoport is an excellent company to deal with.

Back to the drawing board.
That stinks. I am going to cry when my old Olympia vented pants are worn out.

That's my point. I wear a thin pair of hot weather tights to prevent chaffing from armor and boots, but nothing more under mesh pants. I can't think of a time I'd feel the need to remove mesh pants while keeping my boots on, but maybe the OP has a reason.
I'm also a fan of full length leg zippers, mesh or goretex. Why remove pants before boots? Lots of reasons. Get to camp spot and want to shuck the gear and set up, but don't have a spot to do a full change due to privacy issues. Endurance rally events where you need to score and don't have time to go change first, but might be waiting or in process for a while in high heat. Get to a hotel and it's going to be a walk up or bag drag to the room. I'd rather get that done with as few trips, so shucking the gear makes it more comfortable on the second, usually final, trip.

I wear LDComfort shorts under my gear and never wear street clothes under my riding gear.

I use Klim mesh pants in SILVER, NOT Black, with stretch skivvies under. Silver's worth about 15 degrees in the sun. They aren't full-length zips. Since I'm not that hot in the first place, I don' feel the need to get them off as soon as I stop. I wear them into restaurants, where there is air-conditioning. When I get to a campsite, I assemble my camp-chair, then put 2 stakes in the ground, assemble 2 poles, pull up my tent...hold it up with 2 more stakes...and it's up. Now, i go in there (standing height), sit in the chair and change into shorts or jeans. 15 minutes?

I had black Aerostitch Darien pants. Hated them.

Have a riding pal who wears Aerostitch Roadcrafter black suit with pants under. OMG! So blasted HOT. Why??? Ah well, to each his own.

Last edited:
Last edited:
How is their sizing? Is the sizing chart right? I looked at their solid textile jacket and pants, was kinda surprised when it suggested I go with the 4XL...
I normally wear 36 waist and 34 inseam pants. I have their 36w/36 inseam pants because the 34 inseam puts the knee armor up on my thigh when sitting on the bike. 36 inseam works perfectly. 36 waist is a bit tight when pulling them up over the cargo shorts which I normally wear underneath. My advice is to look at the waist/ inseam not the size. Keep in mind that they are designed as overpants so you may need to go up a size depending on what you wear underneath.

I normally wear 36 waist and 34 inseam pants. I have their 36w/36 inseam pants because the 34 inseam puts the knee armor up on my thigh when sitting on the bike. 36 inseam works perfectly. 36 waist is a bit tight when pulling them up over the cargo shorts which I normally wear underneath. My advice is to look at the waist/ inseam not the size. Keep in mind that they are designed as overpants so you may need to go up a size depending on what you wear underneath.
Sounds good, thanks for the info.

This company had a booth at the Barber Vintage festival the last few years so I was able to try them on. You might want to check if they are coming to any motorcycle events near you. I always hate ordering stuff without being able to check it out and try it on in person. In my case they had the right waist size but not the extra inseam I needed so I had to order it anyway. I was really impressed by their mesh pants. The other stuff they had there didn't impress me nearly as much.

Top Bottom Back Refresh