What's new

Why are sellers asking for full documentation of the buyer?

AwDang

Member Number
Twice now I’ve run into sellers (used bike) who demanded all of my personal info as the buyer. Both were 30somethings. The first I walked away from. This latest one sent a FB dm asking for a copy of my title after I register it.

Never run across this before, but I have sold vehicles that the new owner never registered and the DMV wouldn't take them off my tax bill. Lucky for me, they were old bikes that cost $0 due to age,/car tax relief, but it was still annoying that I had no way to prove that I had sold the bikes.

I recently sold three bikes and now the Great State of North Carolina is hassling me about cancelling my liability insurance on them. I have to provide "proof" (their word on the forms they sent) that I sold the bikes. What kind of proof do they need? No idea. They don't bother to mention that. Hopefully the (barely) filled out bills of sale will suffice. Otherwise I have to hope the buyers are cooperative with helping me show they bought them.

No idea if any of that is relevant to the op.

Last edited:
I recently sold three bikes and now the Great State of North Carolina is hassling me about cancelling my liability insurance on them. I have to provide "proof" (their word on the forms they sent) that I sold the bikes. What kind of proof do they need? No idea. They don't bother to mention that. Hopefully the (barely) filled out bills of sale will suffice. Otherwise I have to hope the buyers are cooperative with helping me show they bought them.

No idea if any of that is relevant to the op.
GA had a similar letter when you dropped the insurance. They provided a check box reason as “sold” and that was it. I’d just send a notarized affidavit that you sold it and tell them to pound sand.

Theres a difference in my mind between dealing with the state and giving personal info to a random person. This latest one has stated he wants a copy of my title. That a great big FU

Had something similar happen on a Craigslist transaction. I shut the transaction down immediately. I've been around the sun a couple times, and when something smells bad on a deal, it usually is. No sale or even purchase is worth the extra hassle. Move on to the next one.

In Florida, you now have the option of getting a paper title or letting the state keep it on file electronically. I always get a paper copy to hold. As recently as a couple years ago when I titled my '95 Silverado, the Florida paper titles have a form on them that I'd never seen used in decades of registering and transferring titles until I bought a short-term use Camry between vehicles a year or so prior. The seller was insistent on going to the bank with me and while we waited in line, he filled out that section. I asked him why he was doing it as I'd never seen it used, and he told me it was to tell the state that he had officially sold the vehicle for the very reason of getting it off the books in case the next owner didn't title it. With cars it typically happens right away since few buy a car or truck with no intent to register and tag it, but bikes could easily be another story. Had I known that at the time, the CB750F2 I sold in 2007 would be gone from my records because apparently the blowhard I sold it to never did register it. Fortunately there's no insurance required on bikes in Florida so it isn't hurting me, but every time I renew tags it's still there.

I'd absolutely feel uncomfortable giving my full info to a buyer, it would feel like an opportunity to use as a scam later.

What is "full information"? My state has a canned bill of sale you can download off the BMV website that has name and address of both buyer and seller plus the VIN. I've always printed and filled out two copies so myself and the buyer both get one. I don't consider name and address intrusive. I wouldn't give anything more than that though.

Yeah, anyone in vehicle title swapping situation is gonna be privy to name, address and the VIN anyway.

SSN or beyond? Nope

Had something similar happen on a Craigslist transaction. I shut the transaction down immediately. I've been around the sun a couple times, and when something smells bad on a deal, it usually is. No sale or even purchase is worth the extra hassle. Move on to the next one.
The hassle is when you sell a bike and can't prove you don't own it anymore, so you can't drop insurance and keep getting taxed.

Asking a buyer to help you prove this is a reasonable expectation.

In my case it was a titled XR 400 I sold to a kid. He couldn't register it if he wanted to, and he just wanted a dirt bike. Doesn't give two hoots about the title. That damn bike kept showing up on my personal property tax bill for 3 years, though.

Where I live in Missouri, when you sell, at the bottom of the title is the section the seller keeps that has sell price and buyer info that the seller turns into the DMV. As far as insurance, that's just a matter of calling and cancelling here. State is not involved

The various rules across the states are wild. Here in Kansas all I have to do is take my license plate to the county, tell them I sold the vehicle and then I get a pro-rated refund for the annual tax I already paid on the vehicle. Insurance is a simple call/email to my agent.

I'd never trust a seller who wants details after the sale. They could have a spare key to the bike/vehicle you bought and now they know where you are located...

The various rules across the states are wild. Here in Kansas all I have to do is take my license plate to the county, tell them I sold the vehicle and then I get a pro-rated refund for the annual tax I already paid on the vehicle. Insurance is a simple call/email to my agent.

Had the same experience in MD, though the insurance company wanted an image of the DMV's receipt for the plates before cancelling. No sales info was required by the DMV but IIRC the title has fields for it.

Illinois has a detachable lower section on the title that is filled out showing seller/buyer info which then sent to the records division of the State of Illinois titling section to verify the bike/car has been sold. I also fill out a complete bill of sale and take a photo/copy of the state form and the bill of sale.

I sold a 1998 XR400R with an Illinois street title via a consignment at the Honda dealer around 2000. About five years ago, the current owner (who knows how times it was sold and re-sold without being titled) contacted me wanting me to claim the original title as being lost and to apply for a new one in my name and “sell” it to him so he could title it properly. No was my answer.

As whisperquiet mentioned, the IL detachable section has caused me a minor inconvenience once but saved my kid's butt once too. In April I traded my GS and failed to detach the thing and mail it in, Tuesday I received a letter wanting to know why I dropped the insurance on the bike and if I was still operating it on public roads. I was able to go to the state's website and affirm that I sold it, etc.

Jr. had a 125cc scooter and sold it to a kid in a nearby town, he sent in the detachable section. A couple weeks after the sale an IL State Trooper shows up at the front door, the kid it was sold to crashed into a car and then ran away on foot, leaving the scooter. Trooper started asking about Jr's whereabouts and such and we were able to point him to the IL Sec. of State (DMV equivalent). A quick phone call verified the sale as well as the other kid's name and address.

Where I live in Missouri, when you sell, at the bottom of the title is the section the seller keeps that has sell price and buyer info that the seller turns into the DMV. As far as insurance, that's just a matter of calling and cancelling here. State is not involved
Oklahoma has a small section on the bottom of the tittle you can detach, fill out and send to DMV to show you have sold the vehicle.

I usually take pictures of the title after the buyer/seller info is filled out. If something were to happen after the buyer has left, I want proof that I transferred ownership.

As a buyer, if I have any question as to whether the registered owner is the one selling, I'll ask for proof of ID. Titles already signed by the seller are a red flag.

Both parties should go to the dmv or at least a notary. I prefer the seller or buyer and I just go to the dmv. Takes a few mins but the transacion is complete.

Both parties should go to the dmv or at least a notary. I prefer the seller or buyer and I just go to the dmv. Takes a few mins but the transacion is complete.
Never going to happen for me. VA DMV is a 3-4 hour zoo at best, and no notary is required in VA. I've purchased and sold over 40, maybe 50, motorcycles and never had one issue.

concur, no chance I'm going to the dmv for that otoh pics of the filled out title and photos of the respective drivers licenses is as far as i'd go.

Just be sure all vin #'s are carefully written, on inspection reports also. Once I had the DMV refuse to process a registration because a 5 looked like an S and the clerk wouldnt check both to see which was correct.

Interesting the variances between states policies and personal paranoias.

Top Bottom Back Refresh