What's new

Why are sellers asking for full documentation of the buyer?

The notary can only sign legally when both parties are present. Last 3 states I lived in required notarized paper work. And fortunately our local dmv takes about 5 minutes.My ohio neighbor sold a van that was later found abandoned. And of course the visit from the state trooper.

Ah a 5 minute DMV, totally a unicorn. Its the belly of the beast here in MD- you only go there when there is no other alternative. Sometimes the lines move pretty well, other times one waits & bring reading material. Money paid to a dealer for the tags and title so you don't have to do it is well-spent.

Our titles don't require a notary so a Bill of Sale is fine. Our BMV isn't horrible but it takes long enough that I wouldn't want to use it to simply sign over a title. I lived in Ohio 30+ years ago and they had a privatized BMV so once you found one with good, fast service you'd stick with it.

Ya Ohio wasnt bad for dmv but not great. Here in eastern NC things move fast at the dmv. I only started being more concerned the last few years.

In Ohio, I had to drive way out to the po because the dmv witch didnt like the hand writing. And she responded by scribbling red ink all over the title. I picked up the previous owner and went to the Orville dmv. 5 mins and no problem. So I wasted 3 hrs. Small town dmv/bmv are the only way to go. Big city workers cause problems. I always made nice comments and used the distraction method in the city.

Just to add...nothing beats paperless bikes. I have stack of 15 titles. And would rather have less and more vintage race bikes, dirtbikes and minibikes. All are instant money for the wife if I am no longer around. No bs.....this is why e bikes are selling. You can ride dirty on the street and not get busted. But the minibikers all ride dirty also. Funny coleman does provide mso and a proper vin for their minibikes. And so does most drop ship gas dirt bikes. But not the electric scene.

concur, no chance I'm going to the dmv for that otoh pics of the filled out title and photos of the respective drivers licenses is as far as i'd go.

Just be sure all vin #'s are carefully written, on inspection reports also. Once I had the DMV refuse to process a registration because a 5 looked like an S and the clerk wouldnt check both to see which was correct.
Which is nonsense and BS on the DMV clerk’s part as the 17 Digit VIN has been in use since 1981 and all of the characters carry a mathematical value. They go through a VIN edit check to determine which digit/letter is correct. It is either right or wrong.

Which is nonsense and BS on the DMV clerk’s part as the 17 Digit VIN has been in use since 1981 and all of the characters carry a mathematical value. They go through a VIN edit check to determine which digit/letter is correct. It is either right or wrong.
Not all states/locations have the vin database. My coworker plated a raptor 700 in Ohio. He cruised in to the bmv and asked for a plate for his "bike". He got pulled over at least 20 times and always let go. He got pulled over on I77 twice. Some peole can fly anything through.

This why a coleman might slip through where I live now. The small town dmv clerk always says "the state is happy to take your money".

Not all states/locations have the vin database. My coworker plated a raptor 700 in Ohio. He cruised in to the bmv and asked for a plate for his "bike". He got pulled over at least 20 times and always let go. He got pulled over on I77 twice. Some peole can fly anything through.

This why a coleman might slip through where I live now. The small town dmv clerk always says "the state is happy to take your money".
Illinois seems to be a lot stricter on titling …… no more dirt bike titles converted to street legal titles for quite some time.

Nonsense perhaps, but what the clerk decides is how it goes. I could get back in line and wait another hour, hopefully get a clerk who is interested in getting things done. Or not. What makes sense or not doesnt matter, its about what the clerk will do or not do.

Texas is cool

when you sign over the title , you fill in the seller and buyers into, seller tears that perforated section off and mail it in. This formally puts the state on notice that you no longer own it, and then new buyer has xx days to register it.

and the seller gets piece of mind too

Last edited:
Illinois seems to be a lot stricter on titling …… no more dirt bike titles converted to street legal titles for quite some time.
The mso states the use. There are plenty of team orange 2 stroke 300cc with street legal titles than any other brand....hmm has to do with the mso. The big 4 won't lie on vins. I was a dumbass that bought an rxv 550. Which is a joke for dot regs. I got a a fast fill fuel dump filler. But the 300cc smoker would be more reasonable x a 100 for legit dual sport. So is a yz250x.

If I buy a 20k anything and some dmv time is a problem, I will walk with cold cash in my hand and love life. Heck cd rates are up!

And how the heck does someone sell a bike that has a lein....I just buy old bikes and never sell....it helps to support collector values. Or I liquidate to someone in need. That is the golden era of ujm. No profit...I just like bikes! Just as soon let em rot or part em out. But paper stinks. Everythng from liability to inheritance laws and probate. Meanwhile my nighbor rocks a $30k sxs tax and title free. No probat applies...but will to a r1200c.

This why I try my best and never buy over part out value. Or pay 4x as much and buy a new bike. Except cash has no value tiill the next market slump. Get burned but never burn another rider is a tough game. And I always knew why some family is stuck with 200 bikes. It is a great mentality to not sell. I had too many friends that had to buy their bikes back vs non stop calls. Or sell to a old schooler that is 40yr old plus with a stable life and get update pics of your old bike rockin out new adventures. A bit complicated with state laws.

Last edited:
Yesterday I had the distinct pleasure of signing a title and tearing off that little slip at the bottom. Not really relevant to this conversation but there's one very happy 81 year old man out there who rode off on my former R80RT, his wife was less enthusiastic but said she should be used to it after 61 years.

This is the way it “should” be done.

Yesterday I had the distinct pleasure of signing a title and tearing off that little slip at the bottom. Not really relevant to this conversation but there's one very happy 81 year old man out there who rode off on my former R80RT, his wife was less enthusiastic but said she should be used to it after 61 years.
We should all aspire to be that guy!

South Dakota will let out of staters plate vehicles.

1688304731930.png

I think if I am 81 and buying an airhead...I might ride dirty and celebrate the true aspect of motorcycles.

I aspire to still be riding at 81. Only thing, bike will have to be easy to pick up 'cause I drop a bike couple times a yr.:muutt

I'm 65 and 81 don't seem Near as old as it did 40 yrs ago!:D
I started riding smaller bikes long ago in my late 20s getting use to the idea of big and heavy bikes are not forever. Only problem is the modern selection is kinda disappointing. But a good tw200 can last 30yrs. I would have a big grin at 81 on an xr150l...but what will be available in 31 yrs from now! Some of our rds might start to resemble the abandoned part of rt66 by then.

I am late 60s and like smaller, more nimble motorcycles but very few smaller cc bikes have the ergos for my 6’4” tall 35” inseam. I did own a Versys-X 300 for three years/30,000 miles……great bike that is still 7/8 scale. I currently own two large adventure bikes for travel/trips and a KLX300 which is ridden frequently when I ride by myself. It feels super light at 300 lbs compared to the other two 600 lb behemoths I own.

Slight topic drift…..

Top Bottom Back Refresh