What's new

Yamaha WR250R Threadfest

No Pics, so none of what you read below actually happened.:D

Begin RR.

Day 1 and 2 Azle, TX to Burgess Junction, WY

Being stuffed in a van for two days aggravated my chronic lower back pain something fierce. The seats in a rented Chevy 15 person van suck really bad.

Day 3 Burgess Junction to Burgess Junction

4 week old new battery died with bike on the trailer and bike wouldn't start the first morning. Got it started rode most of section 8 (missed the best part) but didn't want to get too far from the van/trailer. Got back early and with some help from Linda at home using WhatsApp sourced a new battery 100 miles away in Worland. My roommate for the week smacked his elbow on a pine tree limb pretty hard.

Day 4 Burgess Junction to Ten Sleep.

The bike barley started and battery was not holding a good charge. Rode some great blacktop and some nice desert off route. Stopped in for a surprise visit with a buddy of mine in Shell. My buddy driving the van today picked up the battery in Worland for me. Installed new battery in hotel parking lot in Ten Sleep. The old (new) battery after riding all day was only showing 12.6 volts and was almost hot enough to burn my hands removing it.

Day 5 Ten Sleep to Riverton

Was dusty as can be riding sweep and pretty boring at times on the mostly straight desert roads. The only excitement was when hitting loose gravel and sand pockets you couldn't see in the dust. I can do all the riding like this I want here in Texas.

Day 6 Riverton to Atlantic City

Decided with 3 others to skip the first part of this section as it was mostly dusty flat desert roads. The second part of the day looked scenic from Lander to Atlantic City. Had a freak thing happen pulling into a blacktop restaurant parking lot in Lander. Short version is lost the front end and got slammed on the ground. Ate lunch and an hour or so later fuel pump started to die on the WR in 100 degree temperatures. Van and trailer came to get me and my buddy with the sore elbow. Was going to change the pump in Atlantic City but right side ribs, right hip, and right lower back were sore as can be and still are. Riding the bike wasn't awful but getting on and off was very painful.

Decided to hang it up and drive the van/trailer between stops everyday so the other guys could ride everyday. This ride seems to have been jinxed for me from the start and all the joy was gone.

Day 7 Atlantic City to Alcova

Driving the van from Atlantic City to Alcova we got a message that one of our other guys had a hard fall. We picked him and his bike up and drove to the hotel. He would later wind up going to Casper in an ambulance to get checked out. He has a broken collar bone and 2 cracked ribs.

While talking to the Sheriffs that showed up we found out they have had a few BDR riders that had caused problems. They were called to a bar to break up something between locals and BDR riders. Had reports from ranchers of people chasing cows on open range land. A guy and his wife we met from Whitehorse, Yukon told us they overheard a guy talking to his wife laughing while telling her ran into the back end of a cow. They also said some of the BDR crossed private land and no one had asked the ranchers for permission to cross their land on the road. There is a section of the BDR route closed for road work near Alcova and instead of taking the BDR published detour some riders went around the barricades and went through peoples yards. After they figured out we weren't problem riders we showed them the map. The deputy showed as a couple roads in their area that were a few miles off the published route that were more scenic at higher elevation that would cut off some of the boring desert across private ranch land.

Day 8 Alcova to Elk Mountain

Worked with injured guy to set up relay team to get him home early. Dropped him off in Rawlins, where he got a ride to Cheyenne, and then another ride to Colorado Springs where he flew back to DFW the next day.

Day 9 Elk Mountain to Encampment

My buddies elbow was still hurting bad and we found a clinic in Saratoga that would do X-Rays. X-rays showed had had broken off the tip of his elbow with the broken off piece moving several inches up his arm. He is having surgery this Friday

Day 10 Encampment to Baggs

The drive in the van to Baggs was very scenic crossing the Continental Divide. After those riding got to Baggs we loaded everything up to be ready for the long drive home starting the next day. My buddy and I were still not feeling great injury wise and luckily he works for American Airlines. He set us up on employee standby flights from Denver to DFW saving us 14 more hours of being in the van in agony.

Day 11 Baggs to DFW

The van dropped us off at a hotel off I-25 and we Ubered to the Denver airport. He and I got the last 2 available seats in packed airplane back home.

Day 12

Picked up my buddy and met the van where my truck was sitting. Helped the best I could with unloading and loading my truck to go home.

Day 13

To add insult to injury I got a fraud alert on my Credit Card. Not sure if this was coincidence or related to my card use while traveling.

Day 14 and 16

Had X-rays on my aching ribs and an MRI on my lower back.

X-rays showed no cracks. From where the pain is located the Dr told me in the absence of cracks its most likely torn cartilage where the ribs meet the breast bone. Was told it takes twice as long to heal as cracked ribs.

Still waiting to hear results if MRI.

End of RR

Last edited:

Begin RR.

Being stuffed in a van for two days aggravated my chronic lower back pain something fierce. The seats in a rented Chevy 15 person van suck really bad.

4 week old new battery died with bike on the trailer and bike wouldn't start the first morning. Got it started rode most of section 8 (missed the best part) but didn't want to get too far from the van/trailer. Got back early and with some help from Linda at home using WhatsApp sourced a new battery 100 miles away in Worland. My roommate for the week smacked his elbow on a pine tree limb pretty hard.

The bike barley started and battery was not holding a good charge. Rode some great blacktop and some nice desert off route. Stopped in for a surprise visit with a buddy of mine in Shell. My buddy driving the van today picked up the battery in Worland for me. Installed new battery in hotel parking lot in Ten Sleep. The old (new) battery after riding all day was only showing 12.6 volts and was almost hot enough to burn my hands removing it.

Was dusty as can be riding sweep and pretty boring at times on the mostly straight desert roads. The only excitement was when hitting loose gravel and sand pockets you couldn't see in the dust. I can do all the riding like this I want here in Texas.

Decided with 3 others to skip the first part of this section as it was mostly dusty flat desert roads. The second part of the day looked scenic from Lander to Atlantic City. Had a freak thing happen pulling into a blacktop restaurant parking lot in Lander. Short version is lost the front end and got slammed on the ground. Ate lunch and an hour or so later fuel pump started to die on the WR in 100 degree temperatures. Van and trailer came to get me and my buddy with the sore elbow. Was going to change the pump in Atlantic City but right side ribs, right hip, and right lower back were sore as can be and still are. Riding the bike wasn't awful but getting on and off was very painful.

Decided to hang it up and drive the van/trailer between stops everyday so the other guys could ride everyday. This ride seems to have been jinxed for me from the start and all the joy was gone.

Driving the van from Atlantic City to Alcova we got a message that one of our other guys had a hard fall. We picked him and his bike up and drove to the hotel. He would later wind up going to Casper in an ambulance to get checked out. He has a broken collar bone and 2 cracked ribs.

While talking to the Sheriffs that showed up we found out they have had a few BDR riders that had caused problems. They were called to a bar to break up something between locals and BDR riders. Had reports from ranchers of people chasing cows on open range land. A guy and his wife we met from Whitehorse, Yukon told us they overheard a guy talking to his wife laughing while telling her ran into the back end of a cow. They also said some of the BDR crossed private land and no one had asked the ranchers for permission to cross their land on the road. There is a section of the BDR route closed for road work near Alcova and instead of taking the BDR published detour some riders went around the barricades and went through peoples yards. After they figured out we weren't problem riders we showed them the map. The deputy showed as a couple roads in their area that were a few miles off the published route that were more scenic at higher elevation that would cut off some of the boring desert across private ranch land.

Worked with injured guy to set up relay team to get him home early. Dropped him off in Rawlins, where he got a ride to Cheyenne, and then another ride to Colorado Springs where he flew back to DFW the next day.

My buddies elbow was still hurting bad and we found a clinic in Saratoga that would do X-Rays. X-rays showed had had broken off the tip of his elbow with the broken off piece moving several inches up his arm. He is having surgery this Friday

The drive in the van to Baggs was very scenic crossing the Continental Divide. After those riding got to Baggs we loaded everything up to be ready for the long drive home starting the next day. My buddy were still not feeling great injury wise and luckily he works for American Airlines. He set us up on employee standby flights from Denver to DFW saving us 14 more hour of being in the van in agony.

Day 11

The van dropped us off at a hotel off I-25 and we Ubered to the Denver airport. He and I got the last 2 available seats in packed airplane back home.

Day 12

Picked up my buddy and met the van where my truck was sitting. Helped the best I could with unloading and loading my truck to go home.

Day 13

To add insult to injury I got a fraud alert on my Credit Card. Not sure if this was coincidence or related to my card use while traveling.

Day 14 and 16

X-rays showed no cracks. From where the pain is located the Dr told me in the absence of cracks its most likely torn cartilage where the ribs meet the breast bone. Was told it takes twice as long to heal as cracked ribs.

End of RR

Damn. Heal up!

Begin RR.

The drive in the van to Baggs was very scenic crossing the Continental Divide. After those riding got to Baggs we loaded everything up to be ready for the long drive home starting the next day. My buddy and I were still not feeling great injury wise and luckily he works for American Airlines. He set us up on employee standby flights from Denver to DFW saving us 14 more hours of being in the van in agony.

Day 11 Baggs to DFW

Day 12

Day 13

Day 14 and 16

End of RR

No bueno. Git well kwik

When you a ready to get back on the horse and ride day 5 dusty roads in Tejas, let's do it.

Decided to have a late lunch

PXL_20220918_230403288.jpg

Feeling like a bit of an imposter here because I haven't ridden my bike in quite some time but I figure I'm in good company with the rest of you injured folks...

Just logged in to voice my disappointment that Yinzer Moto, RideSallyRide, and bmw318tech won't be at the Cord this weekend... :( Won't be the same without you all.

Oh, and I'll let ya know if Ricky breaks his rad with less than 2 minutes to go again.

That's all for now. :wave

Feeling like a bit of an imposter here because I haven't ridden my bike in quite some time but I figure I'm in good company with the rest of you injured folks...

Just logged in to voice my disappointment that Yinzer Moto, RideSallyRide, and bmw318tech won't be at the Cord this weekend... :( Won't be the same without you all.

Oh, and I'll let ya know if Ricky breaks his rad with less than 2 minutes to go again.

That's all for now. :wave

:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer

Top Bottom Back Refresh