What's new

Your Most Recent Vacation

cabanza

Member Number
We spent Christmas in Ecuador. What a trip. I got to cross 2 things off of my bucket list. Yay!

We landed in Quito and rented a Suzuki Jimny from Ecuador Freedom Bike Rental. It was initially going to be a Triumph Tiger 900. I decided against it because it is the rainy season and the variation in altitude requires to have lots of gear to adapt to temperature changes. While the Jimny was a little underpowered, it proved to be a great off road vehicle and helped us quite a bit over rough terrain and very rough roads (in many parts of Ecuador).

The trip was to make it to Mitad del Mundo then on to Banos. From Banos we went to the Cimborazo volcan and spent the night near Riobamba. The next day, we drove to Cuenca where the rain made a dent in our plans. We spent 2 nights in Cuenca but only one day because it took us an entire day to drive to Cuenca due to severe weather. It also took us most of the day (Friday) to drive from Cuenca back to Quito. Lots of beautiful scenery but mountains road slow you down. We spent our last day in Quito. We were supposed to do the Teleferico but it was closed for repairs so we only did the Basilica Del Voto National. Phew!

Okay, let's get to some pics:

The Jimny! I loved it. Sure, it'd be a little slow in Houston but I think it's the perfect island vehicle. If we still lived in Hawaii, I'd love to have one. Since I don't live in Hawaii anymore AND Suzuki doesn't sell cars in the US anymore, problem solved! :lol2:
The Jimny saved our butts many times on the way to Cuenca when the hard rain made progress really difficult. It also made it to 4,800 meters (15,750 feet). Not bad.

GCtNY66XcAA70w3?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtNk-tW4AAK0WM?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtN9DuWEAEXedC?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
GCtUZarXMAAymWI?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

We first went to Mitad del Mundo. It's definitely for tourist but it you want to mark the occasion of being on the equator line, there's no better place. That was one of the checks from my bucket list.

GCtNZoSXAAA_9GO?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtNZQNXAAADvDS?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

We then went to Banos. There are lots of different things to do in Banos but because we didn't stay that long (and it was Christmas Day) we only had one goal: go the the pailon del diablo waterfall. It didn't disappoint!

GCtNlZ2XEAAr20E?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

We then headed to Chimborazo. This is where I was able to check my second item off my bucket list: reach 5,000 meters (16,404 feet!). You can drive your car to the entrance of the park at 4,300 meters and then keep driving - with the proper off road vehicle to the first refuge at 4,800 meters. The air is crazy thin at that altitude. While your level of fitness will help, you either can do altitude or can't. There's no in between. The next refuge was the Whymper refuge. About 650 feet of elevation gain but each step you take feels like running. Thankfully, neither my wife nor I experienced altitude sickness. We saw a guy who was renting horses to ride to the Whymper refuge. We went for it and have no regrets. It's cool to cross 5,000 meters but it's cooler to do it on a horse IMO. Plus this cowboy can ride.

GCtN8tHXsAIGXnq?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCyt4lJX0AAiIwv?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtN8YPXoAApHCR?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtN8GNXYAAh6Ur?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Last edited:
So we thought we could enjoy the night off and take it easy the next day. We had about 165 miles to go. We could not account for Mother Nature and the overall poor level of infrastructure. The mountain highway is just a single lane each way. There are lots of slow vehicles: trucks, buses, and cars. Passing them requires patience (don't have any) and skills (have some). You throw bad weather in the mix and the result is an 8 hour trip. We were exhausted when we got to Cuenca.

GCtUZo3W4AAWUSl?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtUZyNWYAAqbon?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtUZ_MX0AEpmpI?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtUj3YWkAAOz4K?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

The rain didn't stop in Cuenca and hampered our plans. We still managed to see a few things but we also knew we had to go back to Quito on the following day. I didn't know how it would turn out. Would I recommend making the trip to Cuenca? No I wouldn't. Someone else might tell you otherwise. I personally don't think it's worth it.

GCtOHWuW0AAPNVq?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtOHp6WwAAhpOb?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtORdHWQAAe-my?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtORx7XoAAhPza?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtaJSUXAAIpDMU?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtaJsJXsAI2xs3?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

We made our way back to Quito. It went well. Thank God! We visited the Basilica del Voto. Wow! Pictures don't do it justice. We took our time and sampled some good food. A great way to end our trip.

GCtOjZ6WMAAxwq8?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtOjDlW0AAuLym?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GCtOxmyXoAAe6fL?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

But what about bikes? There are tons of bikes and most of them are trash. Tons and tons of Chinese bikes because the Ecuadorian government puts a heavy tax on all imports. An Africa Twin will set you back $33,500. Yes that's in US dollars because Ecuador uses US dollars for their currency.

There was one Honda that I thought was really interesting. It's the cheapest bike Honda produces. It is sold in South America but especially in Africa. It is the CG110. While it still costs a hefty $1,499 in Ecuador, you can score one for less in Nigeria and you get a 125 cc instead of a 110 cc. Not much power difference though.

GCtORHlWIAAkKfH?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I just got back yesterday from my trip to Portugal, Spain and Gibraltar. 3 weeks of fun.

Portugal, landed in Lisbon, then drove down to Portimao on the Southern Coast to our apartment there.

A view from out apartment at night, then day.
20231218_191952.jpg

20231231_165815.jpg

We then drove all around Southern Portugal visiting the small towns. Silves, Sagress, Monshique, Loule, Lagos and Monta Rota.
20231227_141612.jpg

20231223_120458.jpg

20231223_125301.jpg

20231223_131445.jpg

20231224_175501.jpg

20231225_170120.jpg

20231226_180140.jpg

20231229_144208.jpg

Outstanding pictures!

Did you get to try some vinho verde?
Thanks. This was my 12th time to Portugal. I have seen more of the country than most Portuguese. Helps that my wife is Portuguese.

Yes, many times I have enjoyed the Portuguese wines. My BIL is a wine maker. He sent this for New Years, since he wasn't able to make it himself.
20231231_165952.jpg

Ignore the label. That is 4 liters of his finest red!

Top Bottom Back Refresh